DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Curly Pine (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/344976-curly-pine.html)

G. Ross August 13th 12 03:11 AM

Curly Pine

1 Attachment(s)
Snapshot of a cabinet door in a house in Tifton, GA.
--
G.W. Ross

You've certainly got smooth skin -
between the wrinkles, that is.

G. Ross August 13th 12 03:29 AM

Curly Pine

G. Ross wrote:
Snapshot of a cabinet door in a house in Tifton, GA.

Oops. Sorry for the large picture. Forgot to shrink it. You can
also see the cabinet on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MfiEW3Gjs

Old man Tift was from a seafaring family in Mystic, Conn. who came
down (eg. Carpetbagger) to harvest lumber for their shipbuilding
interests. He had some shipwrights come down and build the house.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just the picture of some strange
pine wood on basislisk's site reminded me.

Han August 13th 12 01:06 PM

Curly Pine

"G. Ross" wrote in news:l6KdnWT7qL3x_
:

Snapshot of a cabinet door in a house in Tifton, GA.

Wow!

--
Best regards
Han

basilisk[_2_] August 13th 12 02:07 PM

Curly Pine

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 22:11:40 -0400, G. Ross wrote:

Snapshot of a cabinet door in a house in Tifton, GA.

I still see some of this type wood(I work in a mill)
but it is rare. In the distant past a lot of large, slow growth
logs were sawn on equipment far too small and the sawyers had
to be creative when whittling down these large logs, this lead to
some unusual grain patterns. There is no motivation for anyone
to saw material like this, even if they could get the logs to do it.
It is wasteful to saw for these patterns and an ugly pine board sells for
as much as any other, providing both are the same grade.

basilisk