DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Useless group (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/344932-useless-group.html)

F Murtz August 12th 12 03:44 AM

Useless group

What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

Ed Pawlowski August 12th 12 04:11 AM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (0/1)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:44:25 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

So why not post some. Seems that your post is useless too.

Ed Pawlowski August 12th 12 04:11 AM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)

Swingman August 12th 12 06:58 AM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very nice !

--
www.ewoodshop.com

F Murtz August 12th 12 10:08 AM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

Swingman wrote:
Ed wrote:

Very nice !

Well it seems that this is what this group is used for (discussions)
I just clicked on every entry shown and got not one picture.
A binary pictures group would be for viewing pictures, I may like
looking at pictures of woodwork Why should I have to post pictures to be
the only one on show.
Are the rare pictures only there for one day then every one discusses
them at length?
In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the discussion
so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but not here , the
pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

Han August 12th 12 12:16 PM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

begin 644 M Bench 2.JPG

Attachment saved: E:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\M Bench 2.JPG
`
end

Beautiful, Ed!

--
Best regards
Han

Ed Pawlowski August 12th 12 01:14 PM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:08:21 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Well it seems that this is what this group is used for (discussions)
I just clicked on every entry shown and got not one picture.
A binary pictures group would be for viewing pictures, I may like
looking at pictures of woodwork Why should I have to post pictures to be
the only one on show.
Are the rare pictures only there for one day then every one discusses
them at length?
In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the discussion
so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but not here , the
pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

The photos are wit the original post. Once the news reader marks the
post as read, you don't normally see it again. Attachments are often
very large so to put that with every reply seems a bit taxing of
resources.

Check the settings on your news reader if you want to retain postings
once viewed.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 12th 12 01:21 PM

F Murtz wrote:

In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the
discussion so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but
not here , the pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

The difference is that in a group like this, the pictures are not links,
they are actual attachments to the original post. Replies to that original
post do not include the attachements in order to keep space requirements
under control. You can set your news reader to show previously read posts
(which typically don't show up again after they've been read), to see the
original post and its attached pictures.

--

-Mike-

jloomis[_2_] August 12th 12 02:39 PM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

Yes, that is quite a nicely shaped bench.
I do like the dark wood tone.
john

F Murtz August 12th 12 02:46 PM

Mike Marlow wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the
discussion so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but
not here , the pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

The difference is that in a group like this, the pictures are not links,
they are actual attachments to the original post. Replies to that original
post do not include the attachements in order to keep space requirements
under control. You can set your news reader to show previously read posts
(which typically don't show up again after they've been read), to see the
original post and its attached pictures.

The trouble is that I have only once read a picture with a post a long
time ago so they must disappear without me reading them (I have not set
my reader to not display posts after reading with this group)

Ed Pawlowski August 12th 12 03:38 PM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 06:39:09 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

Yes, that is quite a nicely shaped bench.
I do like the dark wood tone.
john

It is mahogany decking material with some Penofin oil.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 12th 12 05:48 PM

F Murtz wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the
discussion so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but
not here , the pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

The difference is that in a group like this, the pictures are not
links, they are actual attachments to the original post. Replies to
that original post do not include the attachements in order to keep
space requirements under control. You can set your news reader to
show previously read posts (which typically don't show up again
after they've been read), to see the original post and its attached
pictures.

The trouble is that I have only once read a picture with a post a long
time ago so they must disappear without me reading them (I have not
set my reader to not display posts after reading with this group)

Weird - might be a setting in your reader to expire posts after a period of
time - likely too short a period of time.

--

-Mike-

Just Wondering August 12th 12 09:40 PM

On 8/12/2012 3:08 AM, F Murtz wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Ed wrote:

Very nice !

Well it seems that this is what this group is used for (discussions)
I just clicked on every entry shown and got not one picture.
A binary pictures group would be for viewing pictures, I may like
looking at pictures of woodwork Why should I have to post pictures to
be the only one on show.
Are the rare pictures only there for one day then every one discusses
them at length?
In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the
discussion so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but not
here , the pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

If you don't like the content of this NG, direct your concerns to the
Complaint Department:

Just Wondering August 12th 12 09:59 PM

Useless group

1 Attachment(s)
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.

Just Wondering August 12th 12 10:12 PM

Useless group

1 Attachment(s)
On 8/12/2012 2:59 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.

And if you like tits:

Just Wondering August 12th 12 11:19 PM

Useless group

1 Attachment(s)
On 8/12/2012 3:12 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/12/2012 2:59 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that
pictures are the purpose of this group.

So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.

And if you like tits:

And if you like those knockers big:

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 12th 12 11:39 PM

Useless group

Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/12/2012 3:12 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/12/2012 2:59 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that
pictures are the purpose of this group.

So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.

And if you like tits:

And if you like those knockers big:

My kind of thinking...

--

-Mike-

F Murtz August 13th 12 04:11 AM

Mike Marlow wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

[...]

Does not do it wit any other group.

Kevin Miller[_2_] August 13th 12 05:14 PM

On 08/12/2012 07:11 PM, F Murtz wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

[...]

Message retention varies with different usenet providers. IIRC, posts
here persist for a month w/mine. There's also a view setting in my
reader that lets me see all posts or just unread. I can toggle it on or
off. If I set it to all, the posts that I read previously will reappear.

I also have a setting for how long to retain posts in my reader
(Thunderbird) I think but I've never played w/it.

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Leon[_7_] August 13th 12 05:58 PM

Useless group

On 8/11/2012 9:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

Where is your picture????? LOL

Leon[_7_] August 13th 12 06:01 PM

On 8/12/2012 4:08 AM, F Murtz wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Ed wrote:

Very nice !

Well it seems that this is what this group is used for (discussions)
I just clicked on every entry shown and got not one picture.
A binary pictures group would be for viewing pictures, I may like
looking at pictures of woodwork Why should I have to post pictures to be
the only one on show.
Are the rare pictures only there for one day then every one discusses
them at length?
In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the discussion
so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but not here , the
pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

Seriously, I am seeing posted pictures. If you are not using the right
news server the one you are using may be filtering out posts with pics.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 13th 12 08:59 PM

Swingman wrote:
Ed wrote:

Very nice !

Well it seems that this is what this group is used for (discussions)
I just clicked on every entry shown and got not one picture.
A binary pictures group would be for viewing pictures, I may like
looking at pictures of woodwork Why should I have to post pictures
to be the only one on show.
Are the rare pictures only there for one day then every one discusses
them at length?
In a normal group links to pictures quite often stay with the
discussion so you can get an idea about whats being discussed, but
not here , the pic disappears and only the discussion is left.

Seriously, I am seeing posted pictures. If you are not using the
right news server the one you are using may be filtering out posts
with pics.

As do I. So to respond (again...) to the OP - this is not primarily a
discussion group. Most of us see the pictures unless the OP posts them in
y-enc format. So - if you are not seeing them - it has got to be on your
end.

--

-Mike-

F Murtz August 14th 12 08:57 AM

Swingman wrote:
Ed wrote:

[...]

I am not seing pictures or yenc gobledygook so it looks as if my
provider wont let me so I think I will just give up,
It seems that someone is archiving them on a web page, maybe that is my
option.

F Murtz August 14th 12 08:59 AM

Useless group

Leon wrote:
On 8/11/2012 9:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

Where is your picture????? LOL

So you are only allowed to post pics. not look at them? LOL

tommyboy August 14th 12 03:32 PM

Useless group

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:12:58 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 8/12/2012 2:59 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.

So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.

And if you like tits:

Hooters? Got any hooters??

tommyboy August 15th 12 03:41 PM

Useless group

wrote:

On 8/12/2012 2:59 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that pictures
are the purpose of this group.
So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.
And if you like tits:

Hooters? Got any hooters??

Here ya go.

Oh yeah! Older hooters! They're the best!

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 15th 12 03:43 PM

Useless group

wrote:

On 8/12/2012 2:59 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/11/2012 8:44 PM, F Murtz wrote:
What is the purpose of this group?
Almost everything I click on has no pictures, I thought that
pictures are the purpose of this group.
So contribute some pictures. Here's an example of fine woodwork.
And if you like tits:
Hooters? Got any hooters??

Here ya go.

Oh yeah! Older hooters! They're the best!

And... the older ya get, the better them older hooters look!

--

-Mike-

Josepi[_23_] August 17th 12 03:06 AM

Useless group - M Bench 2.JPG (1/1)

As well as the small pictures, some of the posters expire after posting
quite shortly too.