Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Captains Bed (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Captains Bed (1/1)-dsc_0258a-jpg  Captains Bed (1/1)-dsc_0262a-jpg  Captains Bed (1/1)-dsc_0265m-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Very nice piece of work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nice work.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Really cool. I was thinking of making a similar thing. But I wasn't
sure how to make it modular for take-apart and moving, yet look like one
big unit. In other words, I want the one-piece footboard like you have
and not see a seam where boxes abut together.

--
John S.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks for your kind words.

The headboard shelving unit slides on the same K&V slides as the
drawers. One slide is affixed to the back of the skirt at the bottom
and the other is fastened to the back of the second shelf from the
top.

As far as my shop goes, it is an over crowded 2 1/2 car garage. You
can see part of it in the background. All of my tools are mobile bases
and I move them out onto the driveway for use.

Rob

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:10:21 -0400, Buddy wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 08:00:11 -0700, wrote:

Very nice work. I have never seen (or heard of) a Captains Bed.

The shelving unit that slides out of the headboard, are there
mechanical slides that it runs on, or does it simply slide wood on
wood?

Thanks for sharing your work. Maybe take some pix of your workshop.
Always interested in seeing the work area of he creation.

Bdy

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 13:17:20 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Very nice piece of work.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 17:49:45 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Nice work.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, I am curious as to your layout and access to those center
drawers.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:36:35 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/9/2012 10:00 AM, wrote:

Very nice! Almost 3 years ago I built a similar bed, similar under the
mattress. ;~) I went with 18 drawers under the bed but the drawers
slide on wooden runners and the center 6 are in the middle between both
outer side drawers, Those center 6 drawers are hidden,

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Captains Bed (1/1) (0/1)

Thanks, maybe the attached photos will help you see how i did it. The
corner posts are fastened to the headboard and footboard with pocket
screws. The drawer units are fastened to the headboard and footboard
with screws the end stiles (hidden by the drawers when assembled) and
screws thru the drawer boxes into the back of the foot board and the
front of the headboard.

Rob

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:12:12 -0500, John Shear
wrote:

Really cool. I was thinking of making a similar thing. But I wasn't
sure how to make it modular for take-apart and moving, yet look like one
big unit. In other words, I want the one-piece footboard like you have
and not see a seam where boxes abut together.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Captains Bed (1/1) (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Captains Bed (1/1)-dsc_0041b-jpg  Captains Bed (1/1)-dsc_0257a-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 11:33 PM, wrote:

Thanks, I am curious as to your layout and access to those center
drawers.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:36:35 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/9/2012 10:00 AM,
wrote:

Very nice! Almost 3 years ago I built a similar bed, similar under the
mattress. ;~) I went with 18 drawers under the bed but the drawers
slide on wooden runners and the center 6 are in the middle between both
outer side drawers, Those center 6 drawers are hidden,

Take a look at the attached PDF plan drawings,

The center drawers are accessed after removing either side outer drawer.
Not real handy for daily use however it is a good hiding spot of for
seasonal items that you may switch out. additionally I did not want to
wast that center area.

Learning after the bigger bed and building a smaller single row bed I
made the center/hidden drawers about 1/2" shorter in height than the
outer drawers. The center drawers slide under and miss a stop which
contact the upper backs of the outer drawers and limit their inward
travel. All center drawers can be accessed from either side after
removing the appropriate outer drawer.

and below for the completed pieces, 2 different beds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...6436/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Complwte Set.pdf (318.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pdf Bed Drawer Frame with Drawer Skids.pdf (275.4 KB, 57 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 7/12/2012 8:23 AM, Leon wrote:

and below for the completed pieces, 2 different beds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...6436/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

These might work better, click picture to enlarge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7622991960362/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7622991960362/
Junior Member

Location: New York

Really cool. I was thinking of making a similar thing.I want to make a king size
bed with a foam mattress for myself as my GP advised me to take rest of about two to three weeks.I am happy as for the first time I am going to do this for
myself.

pressure care mattressese

Last edited by lankshir : March 18th 13 at 04:21 PM

Junior Member

Red face

Very nice work any more images