Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Cupping toward the center.

We are told that wood will cup toward the bark side of a tree.
Yet repeatedly I see it the opposite.

Occasionally I see it toward the bark, but more often toward the center.

Take a look at these pics. They clearly show that it is cupping toward
the center. Damn if I know why MY WOOD follows different rules. :-)

This and others are air drying. Most of this is stickered. Two pieces
that were not were just scrap to me, but clearly show the opposite of
what is the norm.

Attached Thumbnails
Cupping toward the center.-sdc10485-jpg  Cupping toward the center.-sdc10487-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 6/25/2012 3:17 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
We are told that wood will cup toward the bark side of a tree.
Yet repeatedly I see it the opposite.

Occasionally I see it toward the bark, but more often toward the center.

Take a look at these pics. They clearly show that it is cupping toward
the center. Damn if I know why MY WOOD follows different rules. :-)

This and others are air drying. Most of this is stickered. Two pieces
that were not were just scrap to me, but clearly show the opposite of
what is the norm.

You, someone has made the piece of wood uneven in thickness. Might get
different results if the wood was uniform thickness from one side to the
other.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I was always under the impression wood typically cups to the dry side. The
side that dries first pulls hardest and the wetter side is more resilient.

Doing deck boards try to put the cupping down so water doesn't stay. The
boards typically cup up on the edges after drying, up to the sun, for a few
months, regardless of which way they are placed from the tree. We seal on
the top but it is typically not needed underneath where the drying is last.

------