Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Yenc-Reply from NewsGuy

Well I got this reply from Newguy:

From my understanding yEnc is just an encoding option when posting binaries
to the newsgroup. Most current newsreaders have the ability to assemble (if
needed) and decode those types of posts from the newsgroups.

Best regards,
Newsguy Support / Rich

So much for figuring out how to open Yenc files.....
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"jloomis" wrote in
:

Well I got this reply from Newguy:

From my understanding yEnc is just an encoding option when posting
binaries to the newsgroup. Most current newsreaders have the ability
to assemble (if needed) and decode those types of posts from the
newsgroups.

Best regards,
Newsguy Support / Rich

So much for figuring out how to open Yenc files.....
john

The fact that Microsoft Live Mail can read newsgroup posts doesn't make
it a "real" newsreader. Just a crippled newsreader.
Consult http://www.ydecode.com/ for enhancements to your software.

Don't take offense,I'm just giving advice, I'm NOT being judgmental,
though it may come over like that.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/15/2012 3:11 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

Well I got this reply from Newguy:

From my understanding yEnc is just an encoding option when posting
binaries to the newsgroup. Most current newsreaders have the ability
to assemble (if needed) and decode those types of posts from the
newsgroups.

Best regards,
Newsguy Support / Rich

So much for figuring out how to open Yenc files.....
john

The fact that Microsoft Live Mail can read newsgroup posts doesn't make
it a "real" newsreader. Just a crippled newsreader.
Consult http://www.ydecode.com/ for enhancements to your software.

Don't take offense,I'm just giving advice, I'm NOT being judgmental,
though it may come over like that.

Does yEnc now comply with the RFC 977/3977 for NNTP?

Unless there has been a recent change it never has; and although it did
become popular during the days of dialup, last time I ran an nntp server
a few years back yEnc was still NON STANDARD in that it was not RFC
977/3977 compliant.

My problem with yEnc was that there always seemed to be plenty of errors
that resulted in corrupted files when least expected ... it was simply
not always reliable.

.... and just because a news reader can't read yEnc does not mean that
newsreader is "crippled".

Anything that can _post and read_ UseNet messages to NNTP standards in
the applicable RFC's is a "real" nttp client.

The proof is in the pudding ... and unless there has been a recent
change, yEnc is not one of the ingredients for compliance with the
appropriate NNTP RFC's.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yenc will never be supported by MS products. MS states that there are too
many problems with it and suggested revisions to bring it to a decent format
before usage became popular but many of the News/eMail client people
wouldn't listen so now you have a de facto standard that isn't up to the
current technology elsewhere. What is the point? There is really no benefit
to it anymore.

Since most people use the news client that their system came with Yenc will
disappear but then so will Usenet.

-------
"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

OT - Newsguy sending duplicate posts Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 3 January 23rd 09 12:59 AM
OT - Newsguy sending duplicate posts Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 1 January 21st 09 06:56 PM
pls reply Yunus UK diy 1 February 13th 07 11:54 PM
pls reply Yunus Woodworking 1 February 13th 07 09:02 PM
DO NOT REPLY TO 199,45... and it will end Battleax Woodworking 1 November 5th 05 11:07 AM