Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Curly walnut and maple canister...

Finished this last week. Wonderful wood, although the walnut had some
end checking. I filled that with brass shavings and CA glue. I tend to
"enhance" defects to turn them into accent details rather than try to
hide them with wood filler or sawdust. That never seems to work for me.

Finished with shellac...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Curly walnut and maple canister...-2012-01-31_21-51-13-jpg  Curly walnut and maple canister...-2012-01-31_21-51-25-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wonderful pieces and do like your idea about enhancing the wood defects
rather than hiding them.
I remember a when this architect friend of mine looked at my siding many
years ago.
He commented on the "visible nailing"
He said he never thought that the look of nailing could be an accent rather
than a detracting.
I used 3 nails in each stud layout (16"o.c)on a 2 story house on 1x8 V
Rustic Redwood.
Also using a level and marker for the nailing/lines.
You know to this day, I like the look.
hummm

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message ...

Finished this last week. Wonderful wood, although the walnut had some
end checking. I filled that with brass shavings and CA glue. I tend to
"enhance" defects to turn them into accent details rather than try to
hide them with wood filler or sawdust. That never seems to work for me.

Finished with shellac...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:18:19 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

Finished this last week. Wonderful wood, although the walnut had some
end checking. I filled that with brass shavings and CA glue. I tend to
"enhance" defects to turn them into accent details rather than try to
hide them with wood filler or sawdust. That never seems to work for me.

Finished with shellac...

...Kevin

Nice, the walnut is very rich looking.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 02/04/2012 06:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Nice, the walnut is very rich looking.

Yeah - it was air dried. The colors sort of bleed together when
walnut's kiln dried. So I'm told anyway. But I believe it, as all the
air dried walnut I've ever had has just been stunning whereas the stock
lumber from the lumberyard is usually so-so. I love walnut, even the
stock stuff, but air dried stock usually blows me away. Just wish it
grew around here...

....Kevin