Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default First turnings of 2012, part 2

Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
First turnings of 2012, part 2-2012-01-06_17-21-37-jpg  First turnings of 2012, part 2-2012-01-06_17-22-49-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice
little town.

--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 1/6/2012 9:45 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

As usual Kevin great work and an inspiration.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 01/07/2012 01:11 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice little
town.

Hope you had a great time up here. Haines is a neat little place. If
you ever make it back put Juneau on the itinerary and look me up. I've
met a few other turners as they've come through on vacation. Always fun
to go out to lunch and put a face to a name...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 01/07/2012 07:13 AM, jloomis wrote:
I really like those designs and shapes.
Very nice, careful work.
john

Thanks John,
I guess I try to approach turning like you approach construction - a
little forethought and design can take what would be a basic bowl, or
deck or whatever and really enhance it.

With turning there's probably some luck involved too - you never really
know what's on the inside of a piece of wood until you cut into it...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice little
town.

Hope you had a great time up here. Haines is a neat little place. If
you ever make it back put Juneau on the itinerary and look me up. I've
met a few other turners as they've come through on vacation. Always fun
to go out to lunch and put a face to a name...

...Kevin

Retraction: It was not Haines. It was Haines Junction, Yukon
Territory. We were on the Alaska Highway. A long way from south
Georgia. We drove it in 2005. 30 days, 10,000 miles.

--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A real surprise awaits you!
I like that part of woodwork and or sculpture.
The unknowns.
I do ceramics and when I look at that lump of clay on the wheel,
it never reveals itself until the end.
john

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message ...

On 01/07/2012 07:13 AM, jloomis wrote:
I really like those designs and shapes.
Very nice, careful work.
john

Thanks John,
I guess I try to approach turning like you approach construction - a
little forethought and design can take what would be a basic bowl, or
deck or whatever and really enhance it.

With turning there's probably some luck involved too - you never really
know what's on the inside of a piece of wood until you cut into it...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice little
town.

Hope you had a great time up here. Haines is a neat little place. If
you ever make it back put Juneau on the itinerary and look me up. I've
met a few other turners as they've come through on vacation. Always fun
to go out to lunch and put a face to a name...

...Kevin

Retraction: It was not Haines. It was Haines Junction, Yukon Territory.
We were on the Alaska Highway. A long way from south Georgia. We drove
it in 2005. 30 days, 10,000 miles.

Ah - that's a really neat little town too! Been through there several
times. Stayed at the Pine Lake campground this summer actually. And,
of course, hit the local bakery for the morning latte. Funny thing was,
the latte's were sold as 8 oz, 12 oz, etc. Probably the only thing in
Canada that's not on the metric system. Go figure...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice little
town.

How do you view the pics on this binary groups?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 17:33:31 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice little
town.

How do you view the pics on this binary groups?

Did you get the original post? In most news readers, the picture is
visible at least in a small view right along with the text in the
reading pane . There is also a file attached that you can download
and open with various graphics programs.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 01/20/2012 09:33 PM, F Murtz wrote:
Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
Two more of the reverse segment bowl. It's some birch from Haines
(around 70 miles from here), air dried for around 30 years, teak, and
cherry. 11" across, and finished with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.

Good work. We spent a night in Haines on our trip to Alaska. Nice little
town.

How do you view the pics on this binary groups?

They should be displayed in the message, or as attachments. Some
servers will expire them earlier than others. If you missed the
originals you can see them at DJ Delories archive:

http://www.delorie.com/wood/ - you can see a weekly or monthly view,