Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Building a Laundry Cabinet

Any ideas out there for a 4 to 6 ft. laundry cabinet.
It will have a counter space, and no sink, maybe drawers?
I am remodeling a laundry room and wanted some ideas?
I may make it out of birch play/paint grade.
Do all drawer hardware come so that the "face frame is about 1" larger so
that the hardware works?
What is a good height of a laundry type work cabinet with counter top?
(average?)
How deep are drawers usually?
What is a standard depth?
I know, I could just about do anything......
I do cabinets and am a bit rusty.
John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/6/2011 7:00 PM, jloomis wrote:
Any ideas out there for a 4 to 6 ft. laundry cabinet.
It will have a counter space, and no sink, maybe drawers?
I am remodeling a laundry room and wanted some ideas?
I may make it out of birch play/paint grade.

Do all drawer hardware come so that the "face frame is about 1" larger
so that the hardware works?

For most medium duty, side mounted drawer slides, the required width of
your drawer is 1" less than the cabinet opening.

Undermount drawer slides requirements are much more strict as to drawer
dimensions so:

Buy your drawer slides BEFORE you build your drawers and cabinets!

What is a good height of a laundry type work cabinet with counter top?
(average?)

Same as a kitchen: 36"

Base cabinet is usuall 34 1/2" tall and 24" deep. 3/4" substrate plus
3/4" countertop material = 36"

How deep are drawers usually?

If you mean how tall are the sides, that varies, but a 8" is fairly
common for the cabinet drawer height opening, so a drawer side can be
anywhere from 4" to 7 1/2" in height. Any smaller and the usuable space
is constrained, and any taller and it might get so full that items can
get cocked inside and make opening difficult.

Buy your drawer slides BEFORE you build your drawers and cabinets!

What is a standard depth?

If you mean length from front to back:

18" - 22"

Buy your drawer slides BEFORE you build your drawers and cabinets.

I know, I could just about do anything......
I do cabinets and am a bit rusty.
John

Did you get the point about buying your drawer slides BEFORE you build
your cabinets? G

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Here your go:

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Attached Thumbnails
Building a Laundry Cabinet-dc-ff-basecabinet-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Even better......
again, thank you.
john

"Swingman" wrote in message

Here your go:

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Subject

Trust me I've been to the movie, the handiest item in a laundramat is
a large folding table.

I built a 4'x8' folding table using 1/4" hard board, 1 by stock and
enamel paint.

Also included 7 bins using 1/4" ply face with cutouts and 1/4" peg
board dividers to allow for ventilation.

This 7 bin unit fit under the table top and received dirty cloths.

Since the dirty clothes were presorted, wash day got down to one or
two loads a day, not an all day drudge.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A great idea.
Now I need to see how to fit these in a small space.....
You have me thinking......
john

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

Subject

Trust me I've been to the movie, the handiest item in a laundramat is
a large folding table.

I built a 4'x8' folding table using 1/4" hard board, 1 by stock and
enamel paint.

Also included 7 bins using 1/4" ply face with cutouts and 1/4" peg
board dividers to allow for ventilation.

This 7 bin unit fit under the table top and received dirty cloths.

Since the dirty clothes were presorted, wash day got down to one or
two loads a day, not an all day drudge.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote:

A great idea.
Now I need to see how to fit these in a small space.....
You have me thinking......

--------------------------------
Good, that was the idea.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote:

A great idea.
Now I need to see how to fit these in a small space.....
You have me thinking......

-------------------------------------
SFWIW:

Working strictly from memory, had a 9' x 11' area in the basement
available.

A double laundry tub, washer and dryer will fit in a 9' space.

Cupboards and a space for a 13" TV above for laundry supplies.

4' x 8' folding table against opposite 9' wall.

Table should be 36"-42" elevation to aid in folding.

Could even set up an ironing board in a pinch.

Even had space for some clothes lines.

4' x 8' table could be reduced to 3' x 8' in a pinch.

Anything less and you won't be happy.

BTW, bolted table together with 1/4"x20 hex head bolts and fender
washers to allow ass'y in confined space.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

My space is limited also, and about a 5' area x 9'
This does have a bi-fold door also to enter.
So, with a washer and dryer against the wall, side by side, I am left with
the other space.
So, I may be able to fit some shelving and one counter.
I am drawing up some plans today......
john

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...