DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sanding small places (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/330850-sanding-small-places.html)

Paul[_20_] October 22nd 11 04:48 AM

Sanding small places

1 Attachment(s)

I have been looking for something to do some sanding on the bottoms of the
holes and slots. Something to use with an electric drill to just smoothe the
bottoms a bit. I'm not coming up with anything, maybe yo all have some
ideas. Thanks.
--
Paul

Stephen Quinn October 22nd 11 05:39 AM

Sanding small places

Paul

I have been looking for something to do some sanding on the bottoms of the
holes and slots.

A dowel with foam & sandpaper glued to the end (ie inverted 'T' shape.
Dremel

Steve

Dave[_52_] October 22nd 11 11:01 AM

Sanding small places

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 05:37:25 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
That's a tough one... how about a stiff felt lining instead?

Either that or perhaps some flocking.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...98,43300,44669

Paul[_20_] October 22nd 11 02:57 PM

Sanding small places

I do line these holes and slots with felt, just wanted to clean up the
bottoms a little tho.

--
Paul

m...

Peter Bennett October 22nd 11 04:34 PM

Sanding small places

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:48:37 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

I have been looking for something to do some sanding on the bottoms of the
holes and slots. Something to use with an electric drill to just smoothe the
bottoms a bit. I'm not coming up with anything, maybe yo all have some
ideas. Thanks.

There are bowl-making router bits - use a forstner bit to remove most
of the material, but stop a bit short of the desired depth. Then use
the router bit to finish the job. (The bit I have leaves a rounded
corner on the bottom, but a straight bit would do the job while
leaving a square corner.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

jloomis[_2_] October 22nd 11 04:44 PM

Sanding small places

Fein Tool makes sanding heads for small places.
The tool is expensive, although it has come in very handy for many
situations.
I have not used it for sanding but cutting.
I do have an entire "head set" that fits the high speed machine that allows
for sanding "small" places.
Fein 338227 Profile Holder/Form Kit Works w/FMM 250Q

$35 online
Sand profiles 3 times fasters than conventional methods. 6 different
profiles included. Use your MultiMaster to reach all the tough places.
Eliminates most hand sanding. Fits all FEIN MultiMaster.

John Grossbohlin[_2_] October 23rd 11 12:04 AM

Sanding small places

Maybe a scraper, perhaps bent like gunstock makers use for barrel inletting,
or straight would suffice for the clean up...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...-CURL-SCRAPERS

You could make some up from hacksaw or bandsaw blades.

Gerald Ross[_3_] October 23rd 11 12:31 AM

Sanding small places

Paul wrote:

I have been looking for something to do some sanding on the bottoms of the
holes and slots. Something to use with an electric drill to just smoothe the
bottoms a bit. I'm not coming up with anything, maybe yo all have some
ideas. Thanks.

You can by hook & loop disks and holders in 1 inch or larger diameter
which will fit on a drill. Here is one place: Packard woodworking.
Watch for line break.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...holdext-hooklh

--
Gerald Ross