Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Garage finished

My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john
Attached Thumbnails
Garage finished-garage-finish-being-painted-imgp5368-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That makes no sense.

Cement Soffit? why
Why tempered windows?
Does that mean your house needs them too? What they hell.

On 10/9/2011 8:29 PM, jloomis wrote:
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very pristine. Leaving some of the trim wood a bit red (posts, door jam,
door lintel), as it looks in the pics on my monitor would have been a classy
effect!

Nicely done!

-------------
"jloomis" wrote in message ...

My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 10/9/2011 9:56 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
That makes no sense.

Cement Soffit? why

Probably fiber cement, AKA Hardi product. Why, it is not uncommon for
the soffit to get wet and rot. Much easier to start with it and forget
it. Replacing bad sections later is a bitch.

Why tempered windows?

Less likely to shatter when flying wood parts hit them.

Does that mean your house needs them too? What they hell.

On 10/9/2011 8:29 PM, jloomis wrote:
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 10/9/2011 10:12 PM, Josepi wrote:
Very pristine. Leaving some of the trim wood a bit red (posts, door jam,
door lintel), as it looks in the pics on my monitor would have been a
classy effect!

And an invitation to rot and early failure.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ok, for the soffit. A little overkill I think.

I thought this was a garage (secondary use workshop). Was it built as a
workshop and registered as such with the town?

On 10/10/2011 8:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/9/2011 9:56 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
That makes no sense.

Cement Soffit? why

Probably fiber cement, AKA Hardi product. Why, it is not uncommon for
the soffit to get wet and rot. Much easier to start with it and forget
it. Replacing bad sections later is a bitch.

Why tempered windows?

Less likely to shatter when flying wood parts hit them.

Does that mean your house needs them too? What they hell.

On 10/9/2011 8:29 PM, jloomis wrote:
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

This is the ruling for Calif. WUI.
Wildland Urban Interface.

The Hardi Panel soffit is supposed to protect the building from flames
reaching up under the eaves.
The temp. window for breakage problems
The vent changes for spark intrusion.

All new construction.

john

"tiredofspam" wrote in message

That makes no sense.

Cement Soffit? why
Why tempered windows?
Does that mean your house needs them too? What they hell.

On 10/9/2011 8:29 PM, jloomis wrote:
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 10/10/2011 7:57 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ok, for the soffit. A little overkill I think.

Until years later and you don't get up and down a ladder so well and
have to replace a piece of rotted soffet. IMHO the fascia should have
been Hardi also.

Code or not I would have gone with the fiber cement, not really much
more expensive over any other quality material.

I thought this was a garage (secondary use workshop). Was it built as a
workshop and registered as such with the town?

Well to be honest I missed the comment about meeting code requirements.
I suspect tempered is required in the local maybe because tools are
often stored and used in a garage.

On 10/10/2011 8:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/9/2011 9:56 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
That makes no sense.

Cement Soffit? why

Probably fiber cement, AKA Hardi product. Why, it is not uncommon for
the soffit to get wet and rot. Much easier to start with it and forget
it. Replacing bad sections later is a bitch.

Why tempered windows?

Less likely to shatter when flying wood parts hit them.

Does that mean your house needs them too? What they hell.

On 10/9/2011 8:29 PM, jloomis wrote:
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 10/10/2011 9:36 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/10/2011 7:57 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ok, for the soffit. A little overkill I think.

Until years later and you don't get up and down a ladder so well and
have to replace a piece of rotted soffet. IMHO the fascia should have
been Hardi also.

Code or not I would have gone with the fiber cement, not really much
more expensive over any other quality material.

Ditto ... as a builder, I will not do soffits and facia with anything
but cement board these days.

I thought this was a garage (secondary use workshop). Was it built as a
workshop and registered as such with the town?

Well to be honest I missed the comment about meeting code requirements.
I suspect tempered is required in the local maybe because tools are
often stored and used in a garage.

I'm only used to being required to put tempered glass in bathroom
windows, or in windows within 18" of an interior door. Never had to put
one in a garage. But these are all local requirements and vary wildly.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in message
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Looks very nice, BUT it will be too small in the near future. Don't ask how
I know that. WW

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I totally agree. I told the fellow to build it at least 24 wide by 28 deep.
My garage is 28 deep by 40 and is too small.
many do not realize as soon as you put a car in there and a wheel barrow and
shovel etc. there is no room.
I also like going 2 story since the "footprint" is already there.....why not
go up another level.
Anyway, the customers choice.
jloomisconstruction.com

"WW" wrote in message ...

"jloomis" wrote in message
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Looks very nice, BUT it will be too small in the near future. Don't ask how
I know that. WW

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

We have a 15 feet high max restriction for any "out building" in my country
zoning. A second story cannot happen.

-----------

---------------
"WW" wrote in message ...
"jloomis" wrote in message
My part was done about a week or so ago.
Now with the new codes:
Cement soffit, no ventilation on plate line where rafters sit.
Tempered windows.
Cost's just keep going up for the extra codes added.
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in
:

We have a 15 feet high max restriction for any "out building" in my
country zoning. A second story cannot happen.

Sure it can. All you've got to do is drop the floor below grade. :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

ewwwww! A workshop below grade with no windows?

Need a lift to raise the garden tractor out of the basement? hmmmmmm....
nahhhh, we have some water springs around this mountain. It might end up
being a pumphouse. LOL

Don't get me started. Looking into more "out buildings" or expansion of the
current unit. It was as large as we were allowed to build 50m2, (I chopped
my plans down to 18 x 30' from 20' x 30') but.... We are finding the
building officials lied to us during planning, after investigating another
home builder doing some other features that we were told not to.

------
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Josepi" wrote in