Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Thanks everyone!

1) The reason for coating the ends was to slow drying and it also helps
reduce cracking quite a bit. Other pieces were ok because they had been
inside long enough to dry reasonably.

2) It was actually from a tree trunk and yes it was to be an end-grain
bowl. I was really pleased with it (for a day :O( )and then that split
happened.

3) BTW I also found that standing the wood vertical while it dried was
better, but I think you hit then ail on the head re the dryness because
it really didn't get much of a chance until it was brought inside. No
more wood in the shed in winter (with no heat).

I have enough to do another end-grain bowl but will wait a few months
this time.

Best

Keith P

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:53:18 -0230, Keith
wrote:

2) It was actually from a tree trunk and yes it was to be an end-grain
bowl. I was really pleased with it (for a day :O( )and then that split
happened.

Have you considered Polyethylene Glycol?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=686
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2011-08-06 10:53:18 -0400, Keith said:

It was actually from a tree trunk and yes it was to be an end-grain bowl.

Was the wood also light in weight? Looks like some Ginko I turned last year.

Ginko is a very interesting tree (but the female drops ˇSTINKY! fruit),
but not great wood for turning.

The image of the fan-shaped Ginko life was a beautiful motif frequently
found in Arts & Drafts decor.
Attached Thumbnails
Thanks everyone!-ginko2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

No idea what it is, but I will have it id'd b y someone who will know.
Looks almost the same except a bit darker.

BTW I tried the suggestion about gluing it and despite all my strength
with a good vise I couldn't get it to come together.

So! What I've done is used my chop saw to cut it in in two even pieces
and will glue a piece of walnut or mahogany in between and turn it again
- Should be interesting to see if the idea works...It certainly won't
warp again and should look nice :O)

Keith P
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:56:37 -0230, Keith
wrote:

Gluing a round piece is the same as gluing a square joint.. If you
need to use a lot of force to clamp it, the joint will fail..
The wood most likely warped as it was cracking.. You can't put the
toothpaste back in the tube now, so your idea is probably the best
solution..
If you were an experienced turner, I'd say "burn it and move on", but
at your experience level, you can learn a lot by playing around with
stuff like that..
As long as it's fun/interesting, go for it!

No idea what it is, but I will have it id'd b y someone who will know.
Looks almost the same except a bit darker.

BTW I tried the suggestion about gluing it and despite all my strength
with a good vise I couldn't get it to come together.

So! What I've done is used my chop saw to cut it in in two even pieces
and will glue a piece of walnut or mahogany in between and turn it again
- Should be interesting to see if the idea works...It certainly won't
warp again and should look nice :O)

Keith P

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Agreed Mac......Experimenting is the fun part and getting a happy result
is even better because it means it will work next time as well.. I'll
try the glued in piece on the weekend and see how it "turns" out.

Keith P