DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What happened (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/329741-what-happened.html)

keith August 4th 11 11:14 PM

What happened

I had a section of some kind of tree that Hurricane Igor lambasted, The
ends were coated and it sat for about 6 moths - most of it in the shed
outside where winter cold had a go at it for several months. I brought
it inside and this week, two months later decided to make a bowl for a
the friend who gave me the wood. (actually brought it from their home
500 miles away!!)

It turned out very nice and I was surprised at how light colored the
wood was...My wife was to deliver it to the friend this weekend. THEN
#$$#@ a small crack appeared and this morning it was split on one side
top to bottom.

I had sealed it and waxed it What happened?? I notice the same thing
happens with Lilac tree here. First time running into this.

Here's before and after:
Keith P

Dr. Deb[_3_] August 5th 11 12:48 AM

What happened

The answer is really rather simple, the piece was not dry and when you
turned it (nice job, bye the way) the tensions in the wood caused it to
split.

The best thing to do with green wood is to rough turn it, leaving the side
walls 1/10 the diameter of the bowl. The put it in a brown paper bag and
put it up on a shelf for six months to a year. I use a postal scale to
check for dryness (or as dry as it gets in my place) and when the weight
quits dropping, I know its dry enough to finish turning.

Deb

Dale Miller[_2_] August 5th 11 04:03 AM

What happened

On 08/04/2011 04:14 PM, Keith wrote:
I had a section of some kind of tree that Hurricane Igor lambasted, The
ends were coated and it sat for about 6 moths - most of it in the shed
outside where winter cold had a go at it for several months. I brought
it inside and this week, two months later decided to make a bowl for a
the friend who gave me the wood. (actually brought it from their home
500 miles away!!)

It turned out very nice and I was surprised at how light colored the
wood was...My wife was to deliver it to the friend this weekend. THEN
#$$#@ a small crack appeared and this morning it was split on one side
top to bottom.

I had sealed it and waxed it What happened?? I notice the same thing
happens with Lilac tree here. First time running into this.

Here's before and after:
Keith P

I think the wood would dry better if the ends weren't coated.
The water in the wood comes out of the wood from the ends.
This is the reason that even though you split firewood it still doesn't
help it dry any quicker. The water comes out of wood on the ends of the
wood just like it goes up the tree when it is living.

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Ubuntu User #26423

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com

Mac Davis August 5th 11 08:16 AM

What happened

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 18:44:16 -0230, Keith
wrote:
I'm guessing that you had 2 problems, green wood and what appears to
be an end grain bowl..
I might be reading the picture incorrectly, but it looks like you
basically hollowed a section of branch, turning end grain..
End grain bowls have a muce higher rate of cracking because they
contain the "pith" or heart of the tree or branch..
The pith is where twisting starts as the wood dries and is usually cut
out of a bowl blank before turning it..
As a general rule, wood takes about 1 year per inch of thickness to
dry.. Sealing the ends will slow the drying time and prevent some of
the cracking..

On the rare occassions that I get green/wet wood, I turn it as soon as
I get it, to final thickness.. The piece is sanded and oiled while on
the lathe and then set aside..
THin turnings will warp, which I want them to dom but will rarely
crack unless the bottom or a lit is left thick..
Glue Clamp it) it back together and let it sit for a few wekks and
see if it continues cracking..

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] August 5th 11 12:00 PM

What happened

"Dale Miller" wrote
I think the wood would dry better if the ends weren't coated.
The water in the wood comes out of the wood from the ends.
This is the reason that even though you split firewood it still doesn't
help it dry any quicker. The water comes out of wood on the ends of the
wood just like it goes up the tree when it is living.

Coating the ends controls the rate of drying. Too fast and the wood will
crack. It does not matter with firewood.

Dale Miller[_2_] August 6th 11 11:21 AM

What happened

On 08/05/2011 05:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dale Miller" wrote
I think the wood would dry better if the ends weren't coated.
The water in the wood comes out of the wood from the ends.
This is the reason that even though you split firewood it still
doesn't help it dry any quicker. The water comes out of wood on the
ends of the wood just like it goes up the tree when it is living.

Coating the ends controls the rate of drying. Too fast and the wood will
crack. It does not matter with firewood.

So if you coat the ends it drys slower?

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] August 6th 11 01:50 PM

What happened

"Dale Miller" wrote in message
On 08/05/2011 05:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dale Miller" wrote
I think the wood would dry better if the ends weren't coated.
The water in the wood comes out of the wood from the ends.
This is the reason that even though you split firewood it still
doesn't help it dry any quicker. The water comes out of wood on the
ends of the wood just like it goes up the tree when it is living.

Coating the ends controls the rate of drying. Too fast and the wood will
crack. It does not matter with firewood.

So if you coat the ends it drys slower?

Yes. When wood dries too fast it is more likely to dry unevenly so, it is
more prone to crack, check, etc.

Mac Davis August 7th 11 09:05 AM

What happened

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 04:21:44 -0500, Dale Miller
wrote:

On 08/05/2011 05:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So if you coat the ends it drys slower?

Yep.. Think of a log as a bundle of straws, with the open ends as the
end of the log.. Evaporation through the straws is fast and
(theorecically) causes more stress which causes cracks..

If the ends of the straws are plugged, the wood has to dry through the
sides of the straws, which takes much longer and hopefully prevents
most cracking..

Kevin Miller[_2_] August 12th 11 02:20 AM

What happened

wrote:

On 08/05/2011 05:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So if you coat the ends it drys slower?

Yep.. Think of a log as a bundle of straws, with the open ends as the
end of the log.. Evaporation through the straws is fast and
(theorecically) causes more stress which causes cracks..

If the ends of the straws are plugged, the wood has to dry through the
sides of the straws, which takes much longer and hopefully prevents
most cracking..

Another consideration is reaction wood. I've had kiln dried wood stop
my table saw blade (1.5 hp, wired for 220 v). Even when dry the
internal stresses may manifest themselves as wood is removed...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Mac Davis August 13th 11 08:07 AM

What happened

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:20:37 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:
snip
Another consideration is reaction wood. I've had kiln dried wood stop
my table saw blade (1.5 hp, wired for 220 v). Even when dry the
internal stresses may manifest themselves as wood is removed...

Good point.. I've had problems ripping pine 1x12 that had a warp..
Binds the blade as the board untwists..

jloomis[_2_] August 14th 11 03:56 AM

What happened

A lot like clay. I do ceramics. The thicker the pieces of course the
slower the drying.
I think what may happen is uneven drying so that some areas being thinner
dry out quicker and change shape while other areas that are thicker are
slower drying.
We cover our clay pieces with plastic and might even wet areas to slow the
drying out and make it dry evenly.
I would think that this may be similar to wood since I also work with wood.
just my 2 penny's
john

Josepi[_19_] August 14th 11 04:07 AM

What happened

Just the painted ends dry slower so the drying rate matches the rest of the
wood body.