Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default A pattern, and some advice needed

Ok, here is a pattern for a block of wood I'm putting some holes in. My
question concerns the two slots, one in the upper left, and the other in the
lower right.
First of all, I drill out each end of the slot with a 1" forstner bit, then
to make the straight sides, I use a router bit in my drill press, and with
the aid of the fence on the drill press table I mill the straight edges.
This works somewhat ok, I've had some success, but the router bit doesn't
cut all that well, maybe due to the bit being a little dulled, and, or, the
rpm's being too slow.
So, just wondering, anyone got a better way to accomplish milling those
straight edges? Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Paul O.

Attached Thumbnails
A pattern, and some advice needed-pattern-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 11:55:58 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Ok, here is a pattern for a block of wood I'm putting some holes in. My
question concerns the two slots, one in the upper left, and the other in the
lower right.
First of all, I drill out each end of the slot with a 1" forstner bit, then
to make the straight sides, I use a router bit in my drill press, and with
the aid of the fence on the drill press table I mill the straight edges.
This works somewhat ok, I've had some success, but the router bit doesn't
cut all that well, maybe due to the bit being a little dulled, and, or, the
rpm's being too slow.
So, just wondering, anyone got a better way to accomplish milling those
straight edges? Thanks for your suggestions.

Use a saber saw to cut slightly inside the lines and file to the line.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 7/24/2011 1:55 PM, Paul wrote:
Ok, here is a pattern for a block of wood I'm putting some holes in. My
question concerns the two slots, one in the upper left, and the other in
the lower right.
First of all, I drill out each end of the slot with a 1" forstner bit,
then to make the straight sides, I use a router bit in my drill press,
and with the aid of the fence on the drill press table I mill the
straight edges. This works somewhat ok, I've had some success, but the
router bit doesn't cut all that well, maybe due to the bit being a
little dulled, and, or, the rpm's being too slow.
So, just wondering, anyone got a better way to accomplish milling those
straight edges? Thanks for your suggestions.

Put a fence on the DP and use the bit to remove the wood beteen the
start and stop holes. Smooth up with sand paper or a sanding drum
mounted on the DP. Use the fence to keep evrey thing straight.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 7/24/2011 1:55 PM, Paul wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention, I did remove the wood between the start and stop holes.
Hmm, will try the sanding drum idea, I have some of those. Is this going to
be a duh moment. :-))

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Why not jig it and use the router to square off the sides between bit holes?

---------------

"Paul" wrote in message ...

Ok, here is a pattern for a block of wood I'm putting some holes in. My
question concerns the two slots, one in the upper left, and the other in the
lower right.
First of all, I drill out each end of the slot with a 1" forstner bit, then
to make the straight sides, I use a router bit in my drill press, and with
the aid of the fence on the drill press table I mill the straight edges.
This works somewhat ok, I've had some success, but the router bit doesn't
cut all that well, maybe due to the bit being a little dulled, and, or, the
rpm's being too slow.
So, just wondering, anyone got a better way to accomplish milling those
straight edges? Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Paul O.

Advice needed: Oil filter needed for oil furnace? mm Home Repair 7 May 3rd 13 05:43 AM
Architrave - torus best pattern & standard pattern xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx UK diy 2 January 22nd 08 10:46 AM
All stainless pattern weld? Can a pattern exist? John Fly Metalworking 2 September 21st 05 10:56 PM
Not DIY but advice needed. John UK diy 9 September 23rd 04 11:57 AM
Is milwaukee router insrt plate mounting hole pattern same as porter cable pattern Rich Woodworking 1 July 22nd 03 05:22 AM