Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Shaker-inspired 2-stepper

Version 2 ... radically different joinery, and red oak this time.

Although the overall dimensions are about the same, I made the top step a
little bigger (for comfort and ease of standing) and the bottom step a shade
smaller. The step overhangs are a bit bigger with an under-bevel matching
the dovetail angle.

Although this one is more comfortable to stand on, and the joinery is more
fun, the overall proportions of the less-chunky original seem a bit more
appealing to me.

I still don't know which one I'll give away.

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Shaker-inspired 2-stepper-stool-002-large-_cropped-jpg  Shaker-inspired 2-stepper-stool-006-large-_cropped-jpg  Shaker-inspired 2-stepper-stool-003-large-_cropped-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

C & S wrote:
Version 2 ... radically different joinery, and red oak this time.

Although the overall dimensions are about the same, I made the top step a
little bigger (for comfort and ease of standing) and the bottom step a shade
smaller. The step overhangs are a bit bigger with an under-bevel matching
the dovetail angle.

Although this one is more comfortable to stand on, and the joinery is more
fun, the overall proportions of the less-chunky original seem a bit more
appealing to me.

I still don't know which one I'll give away.

-Steve

Very pretty and good joinery. Give this one away to a small person.
The skinny part of the dovetails look like they don't provide much
vertical support. Good work, though.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Wasting time is an important part of
living.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very pretty and good joinery. Give this one away to a small person. The
skinny part of the dovetails look like they don't provide much vertical
support. Good work, though.

Do you mean the bottom face of the pin?

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...-Strength.html

If I read this table accurately, Red oak can handle up to handle 778 lbs/sq
in in compression of side grain. I think it will hold up.

Or am I misunderstanding?

regards,

Steve

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Wasting time is an important part of
living.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

?
"C & S" wrote

Although this one is more comfortable to stand on, and the joinery is more
fun, the overall proportions of the less-chunky original seem a bit more
appealing to me.

The other was nice, but the joinery on this looks like more of a fun
project. I like the simple style of Shaker furniture.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

C & S wrote:
Very pretty and good joinery. Give this one away to a small person. The
skinny part of the dovetails look like they don't provide much vertical
support. Good work, though.

Do you mean the bottom face of the pin?

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...-Strength.html

If I read this table accurately, Red oak can handle up to handle 778 lbs/sq
in in compression of side grain. I think it will hold up.

Or am I misunderstanding?

regards,

Steve

What I meant was the total amount of step wood projecting on top of
the supporting side piece. Of course the supporting skirt should make
this quibble moot. Wish I could do dovetails that nice.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Oh.

The step is 5/8" and the overhang is 3/4".

Yup you have a point. I was looking to maximize the standing platform while
keeping the visial weight of the vertical member from becoming too massive.

Good feedback.

Steve

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
news
C & S wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That is what I wanted to see.....Thanks.
Again, nice work.....simple and functional.
Beautiful joinery also.
john

Stepper control Buerste Metalworking 8 June 15th 10 08:23 AM
Stepper motor question thermo102 Electronics 19 March 20th 10 12:58 AM
abt stepper motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 February 22nd 06 07:15 PM
FA:Stepper motor Awesomewiz Metalworking 0 May 28th 05 12:54 AM
FA: Stepper Motor Awesomewiz Metalworking 2 May 22nd 05 12:53 PM