DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   luger display box for grandads war trophy (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/316572-luger-display-box-grandads-war-trophy.html)

skeez January 5th 11 02:59 AM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

3 Attachment(s)
cherry and sepele. first coat of watco teak oil applied. many more to
follow.;-]

skeez

Casper January 5th 11 04:31 PM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

cherry and sepele. first coat of watco teak oil applied. many more to
follow.;-]

skeez

Nice work. Makes me wish I had a Luger. I'll have to think about
making one of those for my Walther. Great job.
`Casper

Morgans January 5th 11 09:35 PM

"skeez" wrote in message
cherry and sepele. first coat of watco teak oil applied. many more to
follow.;-]

Just curious about what technique you used to make the spline slots in the
corners?

I can think of several possibilities, but curious what you settled on.
--
Jim in NC

skeez January 6th 11 01:16 AM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 16:35:14 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"skeez" wrote in message
.. .
cherry and sepele. first coat of watco teak oil applied. many more to
follow.;-]

Just curious about what technique you used to make the spline slots in the
corners?

I can think of several possibilities, but curious what you settled on.

I have a home made jig for the tablesaw. a simple sled with a moveable
fence and 45* supports for the box to sit in. It uses both miter slots
so the blade is always in the same slot. I use a rip blade to get a
nice flat bottom slot.

skeez

Swingman January 8th 11 08:54 PM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

1 Attachment(s)
On 1/5/2011 3:35 PM, Morgans wrote:

"skeez" wrote in message
cherry and sepele. first coat of watco teak oil applied. many more to
follow.;-]

Just curious about what technique you used to make the spline slots in
the corners?

I can think of several possibilities, but curious what you settled on.

Been using this one for years ... simple and quick to make and rides
against the fence.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Swingman January 8th 11 08:55 PM

On 1/4/2011 8:59 PM, skeez wrote:
cherry and sepele. first coat of watco teak oil applied. many more to
follow.;-]

Beautiful!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Upscale January 9th 11 12:12 AM

"Swingman" wrote in message
Been using this one for years ... simple and quick to make and rides
against the fence.

Looks like a .125" blade. Do you buy 1/8" material for the splines or do you
roll your own?

skeez January 9th 11 10:46 AM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 19:12:09 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
Been using this one for years ... simple and quick to make and rides
against the fence.

Looks like a .125" blade. Do you buy 1/8" material for the splines or do you
roll your own?

I roll em! I almost never buy presized or prefinished wood. I can get
s3s locally but I find it isn't s3s..... I prefer to do my own
milling.

skeez

Upscale January 9th 11 11:10 AM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

"skeez" wrote
Looks like a .125" blade. Do you buy 1/8" material for the splines or do
you
roll your own?

I roll em! I almost never buy presized or prefinished wood. I can get
s3s locally but I find it isn't s3s..... I prefer to do my own
milling.

Need a little more info skeez. Tablesaw or bandsaw and then thickness planer
or am I being too grandiose in my thinking? Perhaps something as simple as
hand planing a piece of wood to thickness?

I've never used splines for anything so I'm a little at a loss here. Of
course, I know exactly what they are, just never chose to use any. Perhaps I
need to dress up my creations a bit.

skeez January 9th 11 01:28 PM

luger display box for grandads war trophy

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 06:10:26 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"skeez" wrote
Looks like a .125" blade. Do you buy 1/8" material for the splines or do
you
roll your own?

I roll em! I almost never buy presized or prefinished wood. I can get
s3s locally but I find it isn't s3s..... I prefer to do my own
milling.

Need a little more info skeez. Tablesaw or bandsaw and then thickness planer
or am I being too grandiose in my thinking? Perhaps something as simple as
hand planing a piece of wood to thickness?

I've never used splines for anything so I'm a little at a loss here. Of
course, I know exactly what they are, just never chose to use any. Perhaps I
need to dress up my creations a bit.

Splines are cut on the tablesaw with a jig then run through the drum
sander if needed.The slots were cut on the tablesaw too with a jig. [a
sled that rides both miter slots. Gluing miters [endgrain] isn't all
that good for joinery. The splines give some face to face gluing and
strengthen the box a bit as well as add window dressing.

skeez

Swingman January 9th 11 03:57 PM

On 1/8/2011 6:12 PM, Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
Been using this one for years ... simple and quick to make and rides
against the fence.

Looks like a .125" blade. Do you buy 1/8" material for the splines or do you
roll your own?

Kerf width, with a blade that cuts a flat bottom; Like Skeez sez, re-saw
spline material on the table saw.

I use them mainly for decorative purposes on pieces that have a frame
structure, but they do add a bit of strength to an otherwise weak joint:

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010