Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Segmented turning, An Introduction...

I took a few photos showing the segmented turning process for those that
haven't seen it done before. This is my cutting sled. It's dialed in
at 15 degrees which gives me 12 segments per ring.

A bit fiddly to get set up, but once it's set it's easy to whip out
accurate, repeatable cuts.

After the segments are cut to a trapezoid I glue them into a ring. An
automotive band clamp (hose clamp) works great for that. When the
glue's dry I true up the face with the drum sander, then use a stick to
mark off the offset from the joint. For strength you don't want your
joints to line up - the segments should over lap like bricks. Line up
one edge of the story stick with the joint, and make a mark on the other
side. Doesn't matter if you go clockwise past the joints or
counterclockwise or the spacing as long as it's consistent.

The last shot shows the joint lined up with the pencil mark prior to
glueup.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Segmented turning,  An Introduction...-2010-10-09_11-21-16_1-jpg  Segmented turning,  An Introduction...-2010-10-09_11-19-51_1-jpg  Segmented turning,  An Introduction...-2010-10-09_11-20-30_1-jpg