Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Bowl from hell done at last! (0/1)

Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the color
and glow..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
mac davis spewed forth:
Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't
think I would have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me
back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being
turned, but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to
the color and glow..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Purty, but I don't think ya can eat cereal out of itg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:55:20 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , mac davis
wrote:

Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the
color
and glow..

Gorgeous, mac.

Thanks, Dave.. It looks awesome "in person"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the color
and glow..

You old geezers will tackle anything. Turned out really nice.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

You're not really drunk if you can lie
on the floor without hanging on.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the color
and glow..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Nice work mac. Interesting looking wood. Looks heavy. Heh.. looks like
you tried to take it away from one angry beaver.
`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:47:47 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:
Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the color
and glow..

You old geezers will tackle anything. Turned out really nice.

Thanks, kid..

Seems like the older I get, the less I want to work on a piece of wood that
doesn't have cracks, holes and pest damage..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:46:03 -0400, Casper wrote:

Nice work mac. Interesting looking wood. Looks heavy. Heh.. looks like
you tried to take it away from one angry beaver.
`Casper

Thanks, Casper.. Nobody around here has a clue what kind of wood it is..
A friend bought a house here in Baja and a big stump/chopping block came with
it..
He went to move it and it was too heavy to lift.. He sliced it up into blocks
and the termite damage was so bad that I was the only one dumb enough to want
it..

The bowl has 1/2" walls and a little thicker bottom and probably weighs close to
10 pounds..
I'm guessing that the same size in redwood would be about 2 pounds..

Between the fragile sides, the sand in the termite tubes and the occasional
hidden pebble, the Woodchuck tool was the only way to go..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wow, I really like the looks of that.
You know that old hard redwood is real tough
I just turned 4 legs to the table I built and I do know they usually turn
wood wet, and when it is dry, it gets hot, and burns tools.
john
"mac davis" wrote in message
Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I
would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being
turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the
color
and glow..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:54:33 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

Wow, I really like the looks of that.
You know that old hard redwood is real tough
I just turned 4 legs to the table I built and I do know they usually turn
wood wet, and when it is dry, it gets hot, and burns tools.
john

I guess that could explain it, if it is some kind of redwood.. It had been used
as a chopping block for several years..

I used a Woodchuck Bowlpro (same as EX Rougher) and the shavings were very hot..
Pretty hard to burn carbide, though

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Something that I've been working on for about a month.. I don't think I
would
have even tried this without carbide tools..

Having little patience, I kept putting it aside until it called me back..

10" diameter, unknown wood..
Looks like some kind of redwood, smells like redwood while it's being
turned,
but much harder than any redwood I've seen and a LOT heavier..

Finish is Danish oil and buffed... I wish the pictures did justice to the
color
and glow..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-08-25 11:54:32 -0400, mac davis said:

The bowl has 1/2" walls and a little thicker bottom and probably weighs
close to
10 pounds..
I'm guessing that the same size in redwood would be about 2 pounds..

Nothing there to indicate scale over than the wall thickness -- what's
the diameter and the height? Maybe about 14" x 5" or so?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-08-25 11:54:32 -0400, mac davis said:

The bowl has 1/2" walls and a little thicker bottom and probably weighs
close to
10 pounds..
I'm guessing that the same size in redwood would be about 2 pounds..

Nothing there to indicate scale over than the wall thickness -- what's
the diameter and the height? Maybe about 14" x 5" or so?

Sorry, I think it was in the original post.. it's a little over 10" diameter..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bowl from hell finished mac davis[_5_] Woodturning 5 August 26th 10 08:09 AM
How the hell Larry Jaques Metalworking 2 December 24th 08 11:55 PM
How the hell Peter DiVergilio Metalworking 0 December 22nd 08 03:51 PM
PTV 745 from hell [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 12th 07 05:51 PM