Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Unusual old wooden house

I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or amuse you.

Attached Thumbnails
Unusual old wooden house-uowh-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:02:58 +0100, "Tim W"
wrote:

I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or amuse you.

Talk about living at the end of the street...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message
I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or amuse
you.

As long there is a location of some kind, somebody will build on it.

It is like the folks in Seattle who wanted to build a convention center and
could not find a chunk of land to big enough. Sooooo....., they built it
over the freeway. It was available and cheap.

I wonder how much it cost the guy who built that levitated house above the
water for the "air rights" to build there?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Looks like an old bridge abutment that was used for a foundation.
I like it.
Not to far to go fishing either....
john
"Tim W" wrote in message
I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or amuse
you.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or amuse you.

I wonder where it is. In some European countries (e.g. Germany or
Switzerland [?]), the property is taxed based on the structure's
footprint on the ground. So many of the houses have a small
ground-floor footprint, with upper stories overhanging the footprint.

Maybe this place has no "footprint" on the ground?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message
I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or amuse
you.

It is probably as old as the bridge that was once there is. It was common
to find these on the ends of bridges. You would go through them to enter
the bridge.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:02:58 +0100, "Tim W"

I wonder where it is. [...]

On the Seine, somewhere downstream of Paris.

Tim W

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

It is probably as old as the bridge that was once there is. It was common
to find these on the ends of bridges. You would go through them to enter
the bridge.

It looks like it, but the arch of the bridge is gone, and it can't surely be
timber just laid flat across from one pier to the next. It looks like it has
been supported with steel at some point, but what a job to put steels
underneath without dropping the house in the river!

Tim W

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think they used timber at first........notice the ridge and the under
floor angle braces to support the loads......
probably steel later to fix that....
regardless it sure is a "custom" home.
I do not think they need plumbing either? ( :-) )
"Tim W" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

It is probably as old as the bridge that was once there is. It was
common to find these on the ends of bridges. You would go through them
to enter the bridge.

It looks like it, but the arch of the bridge is gone, and it can't surely
be timber just laid flat across from one pier to the next. It looks like
it has been supported with steel at some point, but what a job to put
steels underneath without dropping the house in the river!

Tim W

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Tim W" wrote in

I found this elsewhere and thought it might intrigue, interest or
amuse you.

Part of Pontevecchio sur Seine?

--
Best regards