Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default some of my kids work

Gentlemen,

As the school year is coming to an end, I thought I would share a few
pictures of my students' work. For those who don't know, I teach HS
woodshop in an urban school just outside Los Angeles.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I don't know what's going on with my computer. It's not letting me post
any pictures. I'll try again later. Sorry
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

This is the work of a 1st semester freshman. Madonna and child.

Attached Thumbnails
some of my kids work-0413091320a-jpg  some of my kids work-0413091320b-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

This is a bank, made of walnut and pine. This is a 3rd semester senior.

Attached Thumbnails
some of my kids work-0507100844-jpg  some of my kids work-0507100844a-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

This is also a third semester senior. The assignment is to design a
box. It should be original and creative. This kid likes music, so he
modeled it after an old record player.

Attached Thumbnails
some of my kids work-0507101333a-jpg  some of my kids work-0507101332-jpg  some of my kids work-0507101333-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

Believe it or not, this is a 1st semester freshman. Last semester one
of my seniors (the kid with the $ bank)made the same praying hands
shelf. This kid told me, "I can do that." He did!

Attached Thumbnails
some of my kids work-0510100719a-jpg  some of my kids work-0510100719-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

This is a second semester student. He finished his required projects
and wanted to make a box, a third semester project. I said, "Why not?"
He liked the looks of dovetails, so I told him to go for it. I think
he did a pretty good job.

Attached Thumbnails
some of my kids work-0517101419a-jpg  some of my kids work-0517101419-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

These are two first semester kids. While I don't supply paint, or allow
it on the required projects, I allow them to bring it in if they want to
work on something after all of their required work is done.

Attached Thumbnails
some of my kids work-0511091140a-jpg  some of my kids work-0521090911a-jpg  some of my kids work-0521090911b-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

Now for my gripe. I got some really great kids. For many, mine is one
of the few classes they can do well in. I get a bunch of special ed
kids and many of the others barely scrape by academically. But in my
classes, and others like it, they can succeed. Yet, in the infinite
wisdom (NOT) of many schools around the country programs like mine are
being dropped. It just doesn't make sense. Most of my kids will never
be scholars, but they can be creative and quite meticulous in their
work. These are skills that standardized tests don't measure, yet they
count for so much in the real world. I doubt my grand kids will ever
have a shop class. IT AIN'T RIGHT!

Gripe over,
Glen
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
m...
Gentlemen,

As the school year is coming to an end, I thought I would share a few
pictures of my students' work. For those who don't know, I teach HS
woodshop in an urban school just outside Los Angeles.

Thanks for posting. Some of these kids have a lot of talent, all have
learned something of value.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

Now for my gripe. I got some really great kids. For many, mine is one of
the few classes they can do well in. I get a bunch of special ed kids and
many of the others barely scrape by academically. But in my classes, and
others like it, they can succeed. Yet, in the infinite wisdom (NOT) of
many schools around the country programs like mine are being dropped. It
just doesn't make sense. Most of my kids will never be scholars, but they
can be creative and quite meticulous in their work. These are skills that
standardized tests don't measure, yet they count for so much in the real
world. I doubt my grand kids will ever have a shop class. IT AIN'T
RIGHT!

Gripe over,
Glen

Hear, hear!!

They stuck me in shop classes because I was "difficult". It turned out to be
the best thing that ever happened to me. And I make my living with computers
too.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 05/17/2010 05:12 PM, Glen wrote:
Gentlemen,

As the school year is coming to an end, I thought I would share a few
pictures of my students' work. For those who don't know, I teach HS
woodshop in an urban school just outside Los Angeles.

Fun stuff. It's great to see that shop class is still alive and
woodworking skills are being taught. It may be endangered but you've
made an impact on these kids at least. Well done, and tell the kids I
enjoyed seeing their work...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

No it is not right. Many kids need trade type programs to attract their
interest where they can succeed and find a niche where it may be applicable
in later years and work.
I sent my son off to a College and he did not do well, and followed his
interest out side of college at a bike shop. He now manages the bike shop,
knows all there is to know about the bicycle, and takes welding classes for
frame making.
I think the grade and high schools would do best with a trade like classroom
for those who choose that route. Welding, Sewing, Carpentry, Construction,
Cooking, auto mechanics, farming, ......I could go on. What is wrong with
this country.
john
"Glen" wrote in message
On 5/17/2010 6:12 PM, Glen wrote:

Now for my gripe. I got some really great kids. For many, mine is one of
the few classes they can do well in. I get a bunch of special ed kids and
many of the others barely scrape by academically. But in my classes, and
others like it, they can succeed. Yet, in the infinite wisdom (NOT) of
many schools around the country programs like mine are being dropped. It
just doesn't make sense. Most of my kids will never be scholars, but they
can be creative and quite meticulous in their work. These are skills that
standardized tests don't measure, yet they count for so much in the real
world. I doubt my grand kids will ever have a shop class. IT AIN'T
RIGHT!

Gripe over,
Glen

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

...Yet, in the infinite wisdom (NOT) of many schools around the country,
programs like mine are being dropped. It just doesn't make sense.
Most of my kids will never be scholars, but they can be creative and
quite meticulous in their work. These are skills that standardized tests
don't measure, yet they count for so much in the real world. I doubt
my grand kids will ever have a shop class. IT AIN'T RIGHT!
Gripe over,
Glen

I couldn't agree with you more. I never had the opportunity to take a
woodworking class, or any "shop" class in high school and am very
sorry I missed out. Today I love woodworking (turning, scroll sawing,
carving, etc.) and can't imagine a world without it.

Although I understand why many schools are dropping classes like shop
and even band, I believe it is a HUGE mistake. Today's educational
system needs more than ever to fight to retain these opportunities for
children to expand their minds and dreams on many horizons throughout
their entire lives.

I did get to take many art classes, and I suppose that is where my
love of woodworking first began. I love all art and know we'll never
have a world without it, UNLESS we continue to drop classes.

IMHO, teachers don't fight and try as hard as they used to and, while
the system has gotten more difficult, and the kids more challenging,
that's no excuse to not fight for what we know in our hearts is right.
I hope teachers everywhere will keep fighting harder than ever to give
every opportunity possible to tomorrow's children. For goodness sake,
what am I paying taxes for if not expanding youthful minds?

`Casper

A high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

We have the same problems here in the uk. I just wish we had lots of
teachers like Glen. Doing away with craft classes for ecconomic reasons
is extremely short sighted and one day we will all pay for it

Tom.

...Yet, in the infinite wisdom (NOT) of many schools around the country,
programs like mine are being dropped. It just doesn't make sense.
Most of my kids will never be scholars, but they can be creative and
quite meticulous in their work. These are skills that standardized tests
don't measure, yet they count for so much in the real world. I doubt
my grand kids will ever have a shop class. IT AIN'T RIGHT!
Gripe over,
Glen

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in
:

No it is not right. Many kids need trade type programs to attract
their interest where they can succeed and find a niche where it may be
applicable in later years and work.
I sent my son off to a College and he did not do well, and followed
his interest out side of college at a bike shop. He now manages the
bike shop, knows all there is to know about the bicycle, and takes
welding classes for frame making.
I think the grade and high schools would do best with a trade like
classroom for those who choose that route. Welding, Sewing,
Carpentry, Construction, Cooking, auto mechanics, farming, ......I
could go on. What is wrong with this country.
john

I wouldn't limit high schools to trades, but would suggest that all
students take at least one class in the various disciplines. Taking
shop, arts, home ec, plus all the gen. eds. in high school at least
exposes them to what's out there. (Aside: No high school education
should be complete without a shop safety course.)

There are people out there with no talent for the general education
subjects (they have to work extremely hard to understand basic concepts),
but who could be wizzes (sp?) when it comes to the "side" studies.

So, what can we do if we want these programs available? Include a note
with property tax payments? (I'm sure I'd get a letter back that
explained how impossible it was to request school funds--most of my tax
bill--go to a certain program.)

Puckdropper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/18/2010 8:01 AM, jloomis wrote:

What is wrong with
this country.

1. Giving the "right" to vote to every citizen was the biggest mistake,
and the beginning of the end.

2. Products of law schools are allowed to represent the people in the
legislative branches of our governments.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/17/2010 8:12 PM, Glen wrote:
Gentlemen,

As the school year is coming to an end, I thought I would share a few
pictures of my students' work. For those who don't know, I teach HS
woodshop in an urban school just outside Los Angeles.

It is folks like you, after seeing what is happening in this country,
that continue to make me feel right about serving my country ... they
are damn few and far between these days.

Thank you for you service to this nation, and to our kids, the future of
this nation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Subject

Reading the responses to Glen's post raises the following question.

When is the last time you voted "For" a school tax increase or a bond
issue for the schools?

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/18/2010 5:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Reading the responses to Glen's post raises the following question.

When is the last time you voted "For" a school tax increase or a bond
issue for the schools?

Totally irrelevant to the discussion ... taxes", or lack of funding,
have _nothing_ whatsoever to do with the issue of why there is a dearth
of trade curriculum in our educational system today.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Casper wrote in
:

IMHO, teachers don't fight and try as hard as they used to and, while
the system has gotten more difficult, and the kids more challenging,
that's no excuse to not fight for what we know in our hearts is right.

But it is a bit demoralizing if you work your ass off to bring something to
the disadvantaged like in the Paterson NJ high school system, have some
measure of success, get a masters degree and hear the next day that the
"tenure" you earned doesn't mean enough to stay off the RIF list.

I hope teachers everywhere will keep fighting harder than ever to give
every opportunity possible to tomorrow's children. For goodness sake,
what am I paying taxes for if not expanding youthful minds?

Here's to hoping my Son-in-law gets his job back in Spetember ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 5/17/2010 8:12 PM, Glen wrote:
Gentlemen,

As the school year is coming to an end, I thought I would share a few
pictures of my students' work. For those who don't know, I teach HS
woodshop in an urban school just outside Los Angeles.

It is folks like you, after seeing what is happening in this country,
that continue to make me feel right about serving my country ... they
are damn few and far between these days.

Thank you for you service to this nation, and to our kids, the future of
this nation.

There is something wrong with the country if the governor (no capital) can
take away 25% of state funding for education (sad enough), complain of the
excesses of previous legislatures (true enough), then refuse to support re-
instating the Jersey millionair's tax (only good for a few individuals who
have too much money already).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4bf31002$0$13565
:

Subject

Reading the responses to Glen's post raises the following question.

When is the last time you voted "For" a school tax increase or a bond
issue for the schools?

Lew

I have been voting "For" the school budget each year (have two talented
granddaughters in the local school system, and a daughter and son-in-law
who are high school teachers in close-by districts).

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 5/18/2010 5:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Reading the responses to Glen's post raises the following question.

When is the last time you voted "For" a school tax increase or a bond
issue for the schools?

Totally irrelevant to the discussion ... taxes", or lack of funding,
have _nothing_ whatsoever to do with the issue of why there is a dearth
of trade curriculum in our educational system today.

The schools are faced with severe cutbacks in funding here in Jersey,
because the governor has repealed a large fraction of state aid, AND
imposed a 2.5% limit on school tax increases. Something will have to
give, and what better target than curriculum subjects that don't get
scored in statewide testing. That's an explanation of what is happening
here, not that I agree with it. There is also an incentive for teachers
to retire, because if they do before (sometime this school year) they
will get their negotiated pensions. If they wait too long the pensions
will be cut, as will the benefits. Of course, if I was a teacher close
to retirement, I would be crazy to stay just to help the kids, and be
penalized for it. So apparently some really good, loved and experienced
teachers and principals are going. That will benefit the budget, IF they
can find replacements that are both cheaper and just as good. Not
talking about the deadwood here ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Subject

Reading the responses to Glen's post raises the following question.

When is the last time you voted "For" a school tax increase or a bond
issue for the schools?

Lew

Never have, never will. Money and quality of education are not linked
except in a vague manner. Look up the spending per pupil in the US versus
the scholastic ranking as compared to other countries. Last time I checked,
they were 1 and 10. It takes more than money.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/18/2010 7:45 PM, Han wrote:
"Lew wrote in news:4bf31002$0$13565
:

Subject

Reading the responses to Glen's post raises the following question.

When is the last time you voted "For" a school tax increase or a bond
issue for the schools?

Lew

I have been voting "For" the school budget each year (have two talented
granddaughters in the local school system, and a daughter and son-in-law
who are high school teachers in close-by districts).

Does your state have an emphasis on trade curriculum in its educational
system, or more to the point, do your schools still have wood shop classes?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Never have, never will. Money and quality of education are not linked
except in a vague manner. Look up the spending per pupil in the US
versus the scholastic ranking as compared to other countries. Last
time I checked, they were 1 and 10. It takes more than money.

That statement is probably true (don't doubt your finding it). But it is
also not related to the problem. Keeping the old rules of seniority and
union employment together with a need to reduce spending is the perfect
recipe for chaos. What the system needs foremost is involved parents.
Next comes raising the standards for teachers and raising the teacher
esprit de corps. Money is a part of all that. For instance: If you fire
a teacher and then rehire him does he start out again at the bottom of the
seniority list?
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

But it is a bit demoralizing if you work your ass off to bring something to
the disadvantaged like in the Paterson NJ high school system, have some
measure of success, get a masters degree and hear the next day that the
"tenure" you earned doesn't mean enough to stay off the RIF list.
Han

Yes it is demoralizing and I am certain not all teachers have lost
hope. I am an ex-NJer and do understand. I have several teachers in my
family who have lost their jobs. I've seen schools closed completely
and buildings abandoned. Doesn't it make you wonder where all the
school taxes go?

I'm currently in Ohio and we pay a separate school tax but all I ever
hear is it's not enough. All they ever build out here are more
stadiums. IMHO, money needs to go to the lower grades and focus on
more than sports. Not everyone can become a pro ball player.

Here's to hoping my Son-in-law gets his job back in Spetember ...
Han

I hope he does get his job back and keeps fighting for the kids. They
deserve the chance to experience everthing possible to enrich their
young and adult lives.

`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Glen, perhaps we have lost sight of the most important thing here.
Instead of griping (me too) we should be congratulating those kids on their
fine work. Please pass on my congratulations and tell them that their
work was admired by an old Scotsman on the other side of the world.

Tom
"Glen" wrote in message
m...
Gentlemen,

As the school year is coming to an end, I thought I would share a few
pictures of my students' work. For those who don't know, I teach HS
woodshop in an urban school just outside Los Angeles.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The local high school in my parish (county) their is still two shop classes
and a agricultural class. We have a welding shop and a wood working shop.
The agricultural shop also learns small engine repair and the plant a
vegetable garden and help maintain the trees and shrubs around the campus.

Seniors have the option of taking a half of day of high school and the
second half at the local trade school. This is allowed for students that
are interested in the following trades; welding, pipefitting, nursing (LPN),
carpentry, drafting, AC repair, process technician (plant operator),
instrumentation and automotive mechanic. The earn credit in both high
school and at the technical college. They must maintain a certain average
in order to keep their dual enrollment status.

The high school has a freshman academy that kids go to and by the end of the
year they should know the basic skills to be able to live on their own once
they have a skill or college education. Many of theses kids start high
school not being able to balance a check book, what insurance covers and
does not cover, and many more basic skills kids should be shown by their
parents. Many of theses kids today enter high school have no idea what they
would like to be when the graduate. Their parents are not teaching them the
basics in life, yet the can operate an cell phone and computer games like it
going out of style.

As they progress through the 10, 11 and 12 grades they are taking course to
either learn a trade skill or be prepared to go to college.

This program was started about 8 years ago and the drop out rate has been
reduced and the many of theses kids are getting jobs in local industries and
companies. Many schools across the country and come to look at the program
and were planning on try to get it implemented in their districts.

Some of the middle schools 6, 7 and 8 grade had TV production studios and
students operate the equipment. They even film the local school board
meeting and one of the two local cable channels provides them a free
channel. The students put together slide shows that give school lunch
menus, closing and other information for public schools in the parish. Each
school with a studio is allotted some much air time and one of the schools
even does a school news show that is broadcast every morning at the school.
During the 10 minute show the information for the day is played on a TV
screen in every classroom. The principal is free to roam the halls instead
of making the morning announcements.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-05-18 19:35:01 -0400, Swingman said:

Totally irrelevant to the discussion ... taxes", or lack of funding,
have _nothing_ whatsoever to do with the issue of why there is a dearth
of trade curriculum in our educational system today.

Yes... and no. There is almost no mindset that acknowledges the need
subjects other than the core academics, unless it's an advanced
placement program that shows off how "good" the system is. Therefore,
when the inevitable financial pinch occurs, the "non-essential"
subjects get the heave-ho: art, music, 'trades"...

As I've noted before, the Net+, Server+, and similar computer-related
classes are easy sells to the holders of the purse-strings. Building
Technology, Collision Repair, Auto Service Technology* and the like are
faltering both in enrollment and school support. And that's in the
career centers, which are supposed to serve the portion of the school
population that has no interest in continuing beyond a high-school
level.

So it kind of boils down to, "Ya want CAT-5 with that?" or "Ya want
fries with that?"

*And a janitor is a "Sanitation Engineer." You can have the money or
the title, I guess.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-05-18 20:51:22 -0400, Han said:

There is also an incentive for teachers to retire, because if they do
before (sometime this school year) they will get their negotiated
pensions. If they wait too long the pensions will be cut, as will the
benefits. Of course, if I was a teacher close to retirement, I would
be crazy to stay just to help the kids, and be penalized for it.

In my wife's school system, there wasn't much incentive offered. Health
insurance would have eaten the financial package in about 11 months.
After that it would be KMAKYOYO. Also, staying on three more months
would mean about eleven-hundred bucks additiontal in the monthly
pension payment.

Besides, if she weren't going to work, she'd only have me to complain
about and I do quite nicely as it is!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-05-19 06:49:08 -0400, Han said:

What the system needs foremost is involved parents.

YES! YES! YES! You've stated the crux of the educational problem today.

Part of that parental involvement would be demanding effective
teaching, which is NOT met by "teaching to the test" and tying teacher
compensation to standardized test scores. Any adminstrator advocating
that as a solution needs to be bounced out the door now!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/19/2010 11:42 AM, Tom wrote:
Glen, perhaps we have lost sight of the most important thing here.
Instead of griping (me too) we should be congratulating those kids on their
fine work. Please pass on my congratulations and tell them that their
work was admired by an old Scotsman on the other side of the world.

I apologize if that didn't come across. I am very proud of most of my
kids, and I believe that they know it. When I told some of them today
about the positive feedback that you guys gave to their work, their
faces were beaming. Today was the last day I'll have my seniors. I'm
going to miss some of them. Yesterday one of my past students, from
2004 came back for a visit. He's a fireman now. He was with one of his
buddies also from the FD. I still had his picture on the wall with a
couple of his projects, and he immediately took his friend over to show
him his old work. He was still proud of it. He was a good kid, and now
he's a fine man.

Glen

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote
That statement is probably true (don't doubt your finding it). But it is
also not related to the problem. Keeping the old rules of seniority and
union employment together with a need to reduce spending is the perfect
recipe for chaos. What the system needs foremost is involved parents.
Next comes raising the standards for teachers and raising the teacher
esprit de corps. Money is a part of all that. For instance: If you fire
a teacher and then rehire him does he start out again at the bottom of the
seniority list?

They system started going to crap a few decades ago. Much of it was
unfunded mandates from the state and federal governments. Union rules that
keep a few of the teachers in classrooms that don't belong there. Parents
that think of the schools as cheap baby sitters, and the inability to
discipline students because of so many liberal laws.

There are some excellent teachers and students working hard, but no matter
what problem that comes up with the rest of the sysem, the answer seems to
be to throw money at it. Until they are willing to change the way they do
business, no amount of money will help.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote
[...]

The answer is not throw money at it. I realize you're not supporting
that notion. The answer is more parent involvement and some way to
encourage the kids to learn. Of course the current economy doesn't
really encourage learning much, but somehow the alternative of going on
the dole needs to be discouraged for those who can work/learn. Of course
also, teachers need to transfer enthousiasm to the kids, and those who do
that need to be rewarded, not fired.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-05-18 19:35:01 -0400, Swingman said:

Totally irrelevant to the discussion ... taxes", or lack of funding,
have _nothing_ whatsoever to do with the issue of why there is a
dearth of trade curriculum in our educational system today.

Yes... and no.

It is exactly as I said ... just remove the huge football/sports program
mindset, which directly benefits less than 10% of the student body, and
see how much "funding" you have to spend on educational basics and the
teaching of life skills.

We effectively accomplished this prior to 1972 with a lot less funding.
As the educational bureaucracy has grown, so has the bureaucratic
inability to prioritize spending and control budgets.

Let me say it again: "...lack of funding has _nothing_ whatsoever to do
with the issue of why there is a dearth of trade curriculum in our
educational system today."

There is no "no" about it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-05-18 19:35:01 -0400, Swingman said:

Totally irrelevant to the discussion ... taxes", or lack of funding,
have _nothing_ whatsoever to do with the issue of why there is a
dearth of trade curriculum in our educational system today.

Yes... and no.

It is exactly as I said ... just remove the huge football/sports program
mindset, which directly benefits less than 10% of the student body, and
see how much "funding" you have to spend on educational basics and the
teaching of life skills.

rant
100% right, at least around here. The local system is building a new
gym to replace one that is perfectly safe and servicable, within an 800
foot radius there will be three gyms, two weight training facilities and
dressing rooms, two band rooms, a football field, a practice field,
two tennis courts, two baseball fields, a board of education building
large enough to house 100's of dead weight employees, and there is a
school somewhere in the middle of this crap.

The school itself can't afford books for the students, adequate numbers
of teachers, janitors, copy paper, or any other supplies.
Virtually all classroom materials come from private donations.

The thugs responsible for this mess will not be voted out of office,
most people have the mindset that it doesn't matter if little johnny
can read or not as long as we have a good football/baseball/basketball/etc
team.

A teacher can no longer fail a student in Alabama, to do so would be to
forfeit their job.
rant\
basilisk