Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Kayak in progress

Stripping the hull and deck.....

Attached Thumbnails
Kayak in progress-copy-2-boat-019-large-jpg  Kayak in progress-boat-007-large-jpg  Kayak in progress-copy-2-boat-042-large-jpg  Kayak in progress-boat-003-large-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message
Stripping the hull and deck.....

Wow, this looks like it is going to be a beauty when done. The first photo
though, looks like you just got a delivery of wood from Home Depot wrapped
in rubber bands.

Looking forward to seeing it finished. Real class, not like fiberglass.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:30:58 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

Stripping the hull and deck.....

Looks pretty cool. I better stick to an inflatable I bounce off too
many rocks.

Mike M
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very interesting. I am intrigued with this type of construction. Is it
glued together and if so, what type of glue. Is the wood all pre-shaped and
planed? (I imagine so) What are the gussets made of? Is that your own
design.
Sorry for the questions but I have always been fascinated by boat work and
wooden boat building. Very nice. Lots of work. Clean shop too.
john
"C & S" wrote in message
Stripping the hull and deck.....

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:30:58 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

Stripping the hull and deck.....

How many hours do you estimate will have gone into this project when
completed?
Are you working alone?
Kutos on the magnitude of such a project.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very interesting. I am intrigued with this type of construction. Is it
glued together and if so, what type of glue.

Regular Yellow glue. The whole thing gets encased in fiberglass cloth and
epoxy, so water "resistance" is not required.

Is the wood all pre-shaped and planed?

The bulk of the wood is white cedar rough and random... not especially good
quality... acquired through craigs list $1/bf. It's super-light and bends
well.

The wood was planed to a about 13/16 and then ripped to a thickness just shy
of 1/4". The ripping was done with a 7-1/4 skil-saw blade mounted in my
cabinet saw with a blade stabilizer. Quality of cut was not a concern as the
assembly would be planed/scraped and sanded to fare the hull anyway. This
is the one case where ultra-thin kerf actually results in a meaningful
savings of stock (even with 1 /16 in kerf, kerf losses were 20%).

With this cutting scheme, I having started with flatssawn boards and yeild
quarter/rift saw strips.

What are the gussets made of?

There are no gussets; it's a monocoque design. You may be looking at the
plywood forms.

Is that your own design.

No. Its a Guillemot, designed by Nick Shade.
http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guil...emot/guillemot.
I am using his book:
http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guil...building_books as a
primary source. The book includes data tables that allow you to "graph" the
cross sections (stations) used to make the forms. I reccomend that more same
people just cough up the $100 for preprinted plans.

I've read just enough about hull design to know that I would be way over my
head. The "art work", however, is mine. The nice thing about this design
methodology is that the strength comes form the fiberglass skin (insde and
out). This allows the builder to focus on primarily on aesthetics, allowing
for workability and weight. The accent woods are walnut and tubafor. The
cockpit recess is cherry and the edges of the bow and stern (the most
vulnerable contact points) are ash.

Very nice. Lots of work. Clean shop too.

Not really, but thanks. I just sewed the halves together this weekend. I
don't what to sound like I'm complaining, because I know that I am blessed
to have a 20x24 dedicated shop, but it's really getting old navigating
around 2 17' objects in the room... at least now I only have one 17' object
to circumnavigate. It's like 3 times as many steps to put something away
;-}.

-Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wow, this looks like it is going to be a beauty when done. The first
photo though, looks like you just got a delivery of wood from Home Depot
wrapped in rubber bands.

I have to say that it is certainly an exercise in creative clamping

Looking forward to seeing it finished. Real class, not like fiberglass.

Me too ;-)

There is actually plenty of fiberglass involved, but you won't see it.

-Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 4/12/2010 7:01 AM, StephenM wrote:

Regular Yellow glue. The whole thing gets encased in fiberglass cloth and
epoxy, so water "resistance" is not required.

Nice work ... reminds me of the boat my Dad and I built when I was in
JrHigh. Plywood covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy, and that was 50
years ago.

Not really, but thanks. I just sewed the halves together this weekend. I
don't what to sound like I'm complaining, because I know that I am blessed
to have a 20x24 dedicated shop, but it's really getting old navigating
around 2 17' objects in the room... at least now I only have one 17' object
to circumnavigate. It's like 3 times as many steps to put something away
;-}.

Common problem ... no matter the size, there is always more than one
something in the way.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Stripping the hull and deck.....

How many hours do you estimate will have gone into this project when
completed?

About 400. I was hoping for 250, expecting 300...

Are you working alone?

Yep.

Kutos on the magnitude of such a project.

It's an affliction really.

-Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wow, this looks like it is going to be a beauty when done.

Agreed!

The first photo though, looks like you just got a delivery of wood
from Home Depot wrapped in rubber bands.

Have to agree here too .. lol! Definitely creating clamping.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Most definitely. I always wanted to have one but never seem to get
there. Unfortunately I don't have the room to make one, especially as
beautiful as I suspect this one will turn out to be. I keep hoping for
a canoe in the next couple of years. I love quiet mornings on the
water with a paddle and loons. Best of luck with the boat!

`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message
Stripping the hull and deck.....

Beautiful

I hope that isn't your "honey do lists" tacked to the door.

basilsik

OT - Kayak design software PeterC UK diy 0 September 1st 09 05:49 PM
KAYAK J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 05:42 AM
KAYAK RACK J T Woodworking 0 March 1st 06 07:14 PM
Kayak Plans Joe Larade Woodworking 9 March 19th 04 09:09 AM