Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default The bench seat

Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from a
piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Attached Thumbnails
The bench seat-benchseat-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tom B wrote:
Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from
a piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Nice. Had a hard time getting those front corners square though, eh? ;-)

Any shelves or racks in the interior?

That's the weirdest looking roof - is your shop some sort of quonset hut?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 3/22/2010 12:51 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
Tom B wrote:
Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched
from a piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Nice. Had a hard time getting those front corners square though, eh? ;-)

Any shelves or racks in the interior?

That's the weirdest looking roof - is your shop some sort of quonset hut?

Looks just like the "Miracle Span" building I built on the farm about 40
years ago.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

No shelves or racks... SWMBO didn't want any. Yup quonset hut (sucks).
BTW the finish is tung oil, then shellac (Paddylak).
The front corners were done with a square I dropped BG.

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message snip

Nice. Had a hard time getting those front corners square though, eh? ;-)

Any shelves or racks in the interior?

That's the weirdest looking roof - is your shop some sort of quonset hut?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:51:19 -0800, the infamous Kevin Miller
scrawled the following:

Tom B wrote:
Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from
a piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Nice. Had a hard time getting those front corners square though, eh? ;-)

Any shelves or racks in the interior?

That's the weirdest looking roof - is your shop some sort of quonset hut?

Hah! My thoughts exactly (#1 and 3), Kevin.

Tom: Howdy. Long time no see!

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tom B wrote:

Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from a
piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Wow, that spalted oak is really striking. Nice job!

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi Larry,
A long time, indeed. I hope all has been well with you and yours. (it's good
to "see" so many linger still!)
Tom

Tom B wrote:
Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from
a piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Nice. Had a hard time getting those front corners square though, eh? ;-)

Any shelves or racks in the interior?

That's the weirdest looking roof - is your shop some sort of quonset hut?

Hah! My thoughts exactly (#1 and 3), Kevin.

Tom: Howdy. Long time no see!

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Blushing Aw shucks, twarn't nuttin'.
I was worried initially about how well the three woods would work together,
so using mineral spirits to temporarily wet pieces it looked like after some
Paddylak it would come together. SWMBO likes it (altho' she would have been
content if it were painted white groan).
Tom

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Tom B wrote:

Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from a
piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Wow, that spalted oak is really striking. Nice job!

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tom B" wrote in message
Mostly quarter sawn cherry, the panels are resawn and book matched from a
piece of a neighbors fallen tree (spalted oak) the molding is Ipe.

Stiking! I'da never guessed Ipe for the molding. I have worked with lots
of Ipe and am not sure I would ever want to tackle turning it into molding.
Spalted oak can really look cool, I have done a few pieces from some
spalted oak out of my fathers front yard trees. It was going to be fire
wood after setting out side for 2 years but I just could not burn it.

Good job!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:33:14 -0500, the infamous "Tom B"
scrawled the following:

Hi Larry,
A long time, indeed. I hope all has been well with you and yours. (it's good
to "see" so many linger still!)
Tom

Heck, we're all malingerers. I'm back after giving the guys a 5 year
break.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, Leon.
I worried about the Ipe too, but it didn't give any major problems.
I made smaller, simpler molding to set in the paneled area, but it looked
too "busy" so I set them aside.

Tom

Loo seat Keith Dunbar UK diy 40 July 29th 07 10:00 AM
Wood prepped for second half of bench top - Bitsa Bench Mike Richardson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 24th 07 06:22 AM
SEAT IN A BOX J T Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 03:22 AM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 08:22 AM
Bench Dog Or Bench Hold Down Clamp? Tim Hurd Woodworking 8 May 14th 04 01:15 AM