Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default No mistakes, only design alterations

Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart.

Yes, that is insect damage in the oak.
Attached Thumbnails
No mistakes, only design alterations-oak_box_3_eml-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve wrote:

Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart.

Very cool, the origin of the wood makes it even better. Didn't know that
you could get that size of lumber from a 25 year old tree. ;-)

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
g.com...
Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart.

Yes, that is insect damage in the oak.

You killed mom's favorite tree ! ! !

Neat box. Nice to have some special significance to the wood.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:52:11 -0500, the infamous Steve
scrawled the following:

Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart.

Outstanding design, Steve. I really like that, and I don't say that
about too awfully many boxes.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart. Steve

Very nice box indeed. I'm not overly fond of oak but love the style
you've chosen and the accents really give it flair. All the better the
wood is homegrown with a sense of history. May it last forever.
`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve wrote:
Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart.

Yes, that is insect damage in the oak.

Very nice.
Did you make the sides thick and trim/angle them on the tablesaw or did
you calculate the compound corners?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
g.com...
Oak from a tree in my parents' yard -- grown from an acorn I
brought
hoome if first grade. The accents are purpleheart.

It's beautiful and its provenance makes it something to pass along
for generations. I'd be sure to type it out in small font on good
paper, then glue the paper to the underside and "decoupage" it
with finish so that it becomes a signed piece your did that later
generations won't forget.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-02-26 13:40:06 -0500, Kevin Miller said:

Very nice.
Did you make the sides thick and trim/angle them on the tablesaw or did
you calculate the compound corners?

Thanks, all.

This is pretty simple -- the joints are essentially half-laps. As you
guessed, the box was assembled and then the sides beveled. I did use a
table saw, but a band saw is more commonly used since that allows more
depth to the box.

The design alteration here was the inserts midway up the corners -- the
success of the box depends on tight, square joins. Since I'm pretty new
at this stuff (at least, at "precise" stuff), things didn't meet. They
gapped.* So I opened the gap with a bit more precision and plugged in
the purpleheart. Since I'd already used purleheart in the lid, it looks
like it was designed that way. grin

Dad had rough-split the oak some years before his death, and the
purpleheart was something he'd picked up someplace. Got some
interesting pieces of cocobolo and rosewood for accents on some future
project or three.

*Too much speed on my part, though I am looking for a reliable table saw!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2010-02-26 17:46:21 -0500, "Nonny" said:

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of
the methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly
dead.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

g.com...
On 2010-02-26 17:46:21 -0500, "Nonny" said:

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of the
methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly dead.

Ewwwww, I can think of two responses to that.

1) Is it really that hard to determine if somebody is dead?

2) I would not want to do THAT for a living!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default No mistakes, only design alterations - 18a80513.jpg

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:11:14 -0500, the infamous Steve
scrawled the following:

On 2010-02-26 17:46:21 -0500, "Nonny" said:

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of
the methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly
dead.

According to the picture of the actual smoke blowing apparatus I
received in an email last month, it was used to revive drowning
victims.

Duh, this is ABPW so I can upload the pic. Here ya go.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Attached Thumbnails
No mistakes, only design alterations-18a80513-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:14:38 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

ng.com...
On 2010-02-26 17:46:21 -0500, "Nonny" said:

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of the
methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly dead.

Ewwwww, I can think of two responses to that.

1) Is it really that hard to determine if somebody is dead?

Think about it. How many live people would allow you to _do_ that to
them? It'd sure weed out the fakers in a hurry. I'll bet that big,
large-diameter, white ceramic fitting was -cold-, too. (see pic)
vbg

2) I would not want to do THAT for a living!

Me, either.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of
the methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly
dead.

According to the picture of the actual smoke blowing apparatus I
received in an email last month, it was used to revive drowning
victims.

Duh, this is ABPW so I can upload the pic. Here ya go.

Well that certainly was educational.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 2/27/2010 11:15 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:14:38 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

g.com...
On 2010-02-26 17:46:21 -0500, said:

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of the
methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly dead.

Ewwwww, I can think of two responses to that.

1) Is it really that hard to determine if somebody is dead?

Think about it. How many live people would allow you to _do_ that to
them? It'd sure weed out the fakers in a hurry. I'll bet that big,
large-diameter, white ceramic fitting was -cold-, too. (see pic)
vbg

2) I would not want to do THAT for a living!

Me, either.

Ponder how many of today's modern medical practices will look as
ridiculous in 100 years.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Buddy wrote in
:

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one
of the methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really,
truly dead.

According to the picture of the actual smoke blowing apparatus I
received in an email last month, it was used to revive drowning
victims.

Duh, this is ABPW so I can upload the pic. Here ya go.

Well that certainly was educational.

lmao!

Or LMS(moky)AO

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:05:28 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
"Blowing smoke up someone's ass" was an occupation -- this was one of
the methods once touted to determine if the deceased was really, truly
dead.

According to the picture of the actual smoke blowing apparatus I
received in an email last month, it was used to revive drowning
victims.

Duh, this is ABPW so I can upload the pic. Here ya go.

Well that certainly was educational.

Made of wood, too! Isn't synergy wonderful? guffaw

part P & house alterations jim UK diy 4 September 10th 08 06:08 AM
Kitchen Interior Design Mistakes and Ideas trav Home Repair 0 September 27th 07 07:47 PM
Alterations building control Vass UK diy 0 February 26th 07 07:34 PM
Pls help...home major alterations...2 bathrooms to be added. [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 2nd 07 01:01 PM
pls help...home major alterations [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 2nd 07 07:19 AM