Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default How to abuse 1 3/4 HP bandsaw (0/1)

11" diameter sand-impregnated ironwood..
I had to chisel off the bark to get clearance and go VERY slowly..
The cut took about 10 minutes and the saw is fine..
The blade is not real sharp anymore, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
11" diameter sand-impregnated ironwood..
I had to chisel off the bark to get clearance and go VERY slowly..
The cut took about 10 minutes and the saw is fine..
The blade is not real sharp anymore, though..

Nice. I'll look forward to seeing to end result.

Sharpening a bandsaw blade isn't too hard. Got a Dremel?

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Jeez. I thought I knew how to abuse a BS. I stand in awe since mine is only a 1hp. If you've got
your heart medication handy, you might want to price a carbide blade for doing things like this.
What's it like when you buck it with a chain saw? Sharpen every third cut?

Regards,
Roy

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:54:13 -0800, mac davis wrote:

11" diameter sand-impregnated ironwood..
I had to chisel off the bark to get clearance and go VERY slowly..
The cut took about 10 minutes and the saw is fine..
The blade is not real sharp anymore, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On 02/24/2010 02:36 PM, Roy wrote:
Jeez. I thought I knew how to abuse a BS. I stand in awe since mine is only a 1hp. If you've got
your heart medication handy, you might want to price a carbide blade for doing things like this.
What's it like when you buck it with a chain saw? Sharpen every third cut?

Currently there's a pretty good deal on carbide bandsaw blades. Check
Sawmill Creek and/or Woodnet.

Chris
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:57:58 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
11" diameter sand-impregnated ironwood..
I had to chisel off the bark to get clearance and go VERY slowly..
The cut took about 10 minutes and the saw is fine..
The blade is not real sharp anymore, though..

Nice. I'll look forward to seeing to end result.

Sharpening a bandsaw blade isn't too hard. Got a Dremel?

Yeah, the wife has one, but for $15 I'd rather just put a new blade on and keep
turning

I would normally use a 3 tpi on something that big and ugly, but the 6 tpi blade
than was one it was about dead anyway.. I'd never use a good blade on this
stuff, too much sand, pebbles, etc..

I've got a piece on the lathe that must weigh 40 pounds... Bigger and more oddly
shaped than I'd normally put on it, but the wife likes the shape and wants a BIG
vase..

Oh, well, I survived BS abuse, I'll move to lathe and chisel abuse..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:36:22 -0600, Roy wrote:

Jeez. I thought I knew how to abuse a BS. I stand in awe since mine is only a 1hp. If you've got
your heart medication handy, you might want to price a carbide blade for doing things like this.
What's it like when you buck it with a chain saw? Sharpen every third cut?

Opps.. I realized that I mis-typed the subject line, Roy..
I was supposed to say "How to abuse A 3/4 HP bandsaw"
This is an out-of the box Ridgid with a grizzly riser kit and (supposedly) 3/4
hp with a link belt..

This stuff does NOT like chainsaws.. LOTS of heat buildup, pebbles to jam on,
etc.... The chains get to hot that I have to keep them because they stretch so
much, even if I supplement the auto-oiler with a hand pump..

Usually, if I can't get them on the bandsaw, I'd ax, maul and sledge time..

Regards,
Roy

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:54:13 -0800, mac davis wrote:

11" diameter sand-impregnated ironwood..
I had to chisel off the bark to get clearance and go VERY slowly..
The cut took about 10 minutes and the saw is fine..
The blade is not real sharp anymore, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:02:31 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

On 02/24/2010 02:36 PM, Roy wrote:
Jeez. I thought I knew how to abuse a BS. I stand in awe since mine is only a 1hp. If you've got
your heart medication handy, you might want to price a carbide blade for doing things like this.
What's it like when you buck it with a chain saw? Sharpen every third cut?

Currently there's a pretty good deal on carbide bandsaw blades. Check
Sawmill Creek and/or Woodnet.

Chris

Chris, I don't know how much a "good deal" on them would be, but there's a limit
on how much I'll spend on a 5 year old saw that was $300 when I got it..
I'm surprised that I haven't killed it yet..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Abuse Your Old Glue Master Chef Richard Campbell Woodworking 14 August 14th 08 08:21 PM
Lathe abuse? Toller Woodturning 22 August 2nd 07 03:54 AM
[email protected] Michael A. Terrell Electronics Repair 0 July 12th 06 07:31 PM
OT - ABUSE REPORTED Bobby Woodworking 3 March 6th 06 06:29 PM