Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Workbench

Indeed.. I suppose it would be good to have metal ones as a back up for
high stress situations.. But for just planing or other operations where
blades are at risk of getting dinged by the metal ones, I hope these will
work. We'll see..

wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:38:33 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

A prototype round wooden bench dog with leather glued to face and bullet
catch inserted on side. According to what I've read leather is easier on
wood and grabs better.

Looks pretty neat. I guess I just have one question and that is how
much stress is a wooden dog like yours able to take? I'd be
apprehensive of it breaking off. Guess you'll find out.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:49:19 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

Indeed.. I suppose it would be good to have metal ones as a back up for
high stress situations.. But for just planing or other operations where
blades are at risk of getting dinged by the metal ones, I hope these will
work. We'll see..

Yeah, I thought of that on occasion. I was thinking of designing a low
level metal dog that uses some sort of rubber or metal hood on it.

Think condom (ok, a very, very thick unused condom) to protect your
plane blades from colliding with said bench dog.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:27:46 -0500, wrote:

level metal dog that uses some sort of rubber or metal hood on it.

That should have been 'wooden' hood, not metal hood.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Indeed.. I suppose it would be good to have metal ones as a back up
for
high stress situations..

Bench dog is either in compression or shear, either of which is
handled easily by wood.

Lew

New workbench David Bridgeman Woodworking Plans and Photos 19 June 29th 07 02:28 PM
Which workbench to buy? Louis Ohland Metalworking 14 May 2nd 06 03:00 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
workbench Chris Woodworking 0 November 27th 04 08:16 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM