Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Last Weeks Project complete

Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly wheelybins -
Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

Attached Thumbnails
Last Weeks Project complete-pict0551-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B.White" wrote in
:

Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly
wheelybins - Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws (
apart from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

begin 666 PICT0551.JPG

Attachment decoded: PICT0551.JPG
`
end

Nice M&T exercise! Looks good
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B.White" wrote in message
Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly
wheelybins - Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

Very nice job, need to make something along that line myself, thanx for the
inspiration

SteveA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:59:53 -0000, the infamous "B.White"
scrawled the following:

Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly wheelybins -
Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

Danish oil isn't UV/weatherproof, so you'd better get some exterior
varnish on there in a hurry, before the rains start.

P.S: Now you can see the nice wheelybin cover and the ugly paint
horses next to it! bseg

---
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:59:53 -0000, the infamous "B.White"
scrawled the following:

Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly
wheelybins -
Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

Danish oil isn't UV/weatherproof, so you'd better get some exterior
varnish on there in a hurry, before the rains start.

Would that be necessary with Marine Plywood?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B.White" wrote in message
Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly
wheelybins - Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

Did you use a Domino to cut the mortises?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Danish oil isn't UV/weatherproof, so you'd better get some exterior
varnish on there in a hurry, before the rains start.

Would that be necessary with Marine Plywood?

Absolutely.

Plywood is still plywood.

Basically, marine plywood has no internal voids which makes it
suitable for bending.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote:

Danish oil isn't UV/weatherproof, so you'd better get some exterior
varnish on there in a hurry, before the rains start.

Would that be necessary with Marine Plywood?

Absolutely.

Plywood is still plywood.

Basically, marine plywood has no internal voids which makes it suitable
for bending.

Lew

And now I know, thanks Lew.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly
wheelybins -
Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

What's a wheelybin?

I think it is a trash receptical on wheels.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

What's a wheelybin?

um ! http://wheelybinwarehouse.com or Google ! :-))

Danish oil isn't UV/weatherproof, so you'd better get some exterior
varnish on there in a hurry, before the rains start.

I understand, but the final resting place is under cover and it will not be
getting wet.

The ply in question is actually straight grained, resin bonded birch ply,
originally intended for the marine industry. It will not delaminate when
wet.
As such, I don`t know if it can really be called ply, as all the laminations
have the grain orientation in the same direction, as opposed to normal ply
where the grain is orientated perpendicular to the previous layer. ( I know
what I mean ) !! Anyway, it came in quantity, and cheap ! so I`ll use it
:-))

Did you use a Domino to cut the mortises? -:

No, I "cheated" I first cut a 10mm slot (dado) (trench) along the entire
length of the timber to a depth of 15mm ( tablesaw)
The slats had all been ripped to 10mm, then planed to just under 10mm so
they fit the "slot" nicely
I then cut a "filler" 10mm wide by 16mm with the short face matching the
grain orientation of the slot. This "filler" was then cut into pieces 15mm
long
( the exact gap between slats ), The pieces were then glued and tapped into
the slots in the appropriate positions to form the mortices, leaving each
one slightly proud of the surface ( 1mm )
Once the glue was dry, a single pass on the planer removes all the tops of
the infilled pieces, leaving a nice finish, and mortices that fit perfectly.
There probably is a term for this method, but I do not know it.( I am not a
woodworker by trade, more like its my "retirement" calling :-)
Mortice by stealth perhaps ?

Thanks folk for viewing and commenting :-))

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:03:44 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:59:53 -0000, the infamous "B.White"
scrawled the following:

Never again willI have tolook out of my window and see two ugly
wheelybins -
Wheelybin Enclosure
Made entirely in straight grained marine ply, no nails or screws ( apart
from the hinges ), finished in Danish Oil

Danish oil isn't UV/weatherproof, so you'd better get some exterior
varnish on there in a hurry, before the rains start.

Would that be necessary with Marine Plywood?

I would thinks so, absolutely. Marine ply is set for use in highly
humid areas, not underwater, etc. And danish oils evaporate in the
sun. I used to re-Watco my Mom's front door a couple times a year
(0000, brush, wipe with Watco, took about half an hour each time), and
it was under the shelter of a roof. It did, however, get the full
Southern California sun every afternoon. Had it been exposed to humid
elements, it (the door, not just the finish) would have disintegrated
in a year, I'm sure.

Danish oil (Watco, et al) is made for indoor use. Exterior varnish
(Spar, Waterlox Marine Sealer & Finish, etc) was developed for
exterior use in the sun and rain. They're a lot tougher and contain
UV barriers to slow the graying of wood (ick!) and protect it better
from rot.

http://fwd4.me/1zz Waterlox Original Marine Sealer
http://fwd4.me/1zy Waterlox Original Marine Finish
If you don't let it get so bad it peels, simply reapply finish. No
sanding necessary. (disclaimer: I haven't yet used this particular
Waterlox, only their Original Satin, which I swear by.)

P.S: Here's a nice woodworking project for ya, eh?
https://www.waterlox.com/site/575/default.aspx

---
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Watch for delamination in the end grain of the ply.
It does still need to be well sealed to avoid the issue of coming apart.
nice work also....
jhohn