Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default SketchUp Workbench3

2 pdf files attaches.

Thanks,
Bill

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WorkBenchWithDado.pdf (104.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf TakenApart1.pdf (122.3 KB, 47 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
2 pdf files attaches.

Thanks,
Bill

3

Very good! I see components. Did you do the shelf like this? See
attached.

I drew a 3/8 x 3/4 rectanggle on the back edge of the side, and pushed it
the desired length to form the dado. Made the side into a component, copied
it to form another side and used flip along on the copied side to make the
second side a mirror image.

Drew a rectangle inside the 2 dados on both sides and them pushed the
rectangle the length of the dado and made it a component.

Thee pulled the parts apart.

The program is great, ain't it. ;!)

I am an old AutoCAD user is it often shocks me that Sketchup needs so few
tools and commands to accomplish so much.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stopped dado.pdf (127.5 KB, 48 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bill wrote:
2 pdf files attaches.

There you go ... besides now having a 3d model upon which to base your
project, and present it if necessary, you have learned something about
design in the process by having to think about "design", and, by having
already put the various parts together, you've learned how to best
"execute" that design when you go into the shop.

There is one other time and money saving benefit ... if you carefully
named and organized your components, you now have a built in list of
parts for doing a cost estimate, as well as for formulating a cutlist
for the shop.

http://www.box.net/shared/8nzm1tmdfm

And, unlike other design software, the only cost was a bit of time
exercising your brain.

BTW, ... kill off "Bryce" as soon as you can. He will become even more
aggravating when you print your project.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Bill" wrote in message
2 pdf files attaches.

Thanks,
Bill

3

Very good! I see components. Did you do the shelf like this (see
attached)?

No Leon, I did things in a more laborious manner, of course! Thank you for
the lesson!
I'll try your way my next go-round--as you know, it doesn't take very long
once you know
what you want to do!

The program IS great--fun too! I made a room with a tinted window and a
door, hung
a painting of George Washington inside and you could his see his picture
looking through
the window from outside. I deleted it, but honest I modeled it! No
kidding! : )

Of course, my thought is to perhaps use the program as a tool for interior
and exterior design.
My wife and I recently moved into a house that still looks like we haven't
totally moved into it yet.

Thanks,
Bill

I drew a 3/8 x 3/4 rectanggle on the back edge of the side, and pushed it
the desired length to form the dado. Made the side into a component,
copied it to form another side and used flip along on the copied side to
make the second side a mirror image.

Drew a rectangle inside the 2 dados on both sides and them pushed the
rectangle the length of the dado and made it a component.

Thee pulled the parts apart.

The program is great, ain't it. ;!)

I am an old AutoCAD user is it often shocks me that Sketchup needs so few
tools and commands to accomplish so much.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
2 pdf files attaches.

There you go ... besides now having a 3d model upon which to base your
project, and present it if necessary, you have learned something about
design in the process by having to think about "design", and, by having
already put the various parts together, you've learned how to best
"execute" that design when you go into the shop.

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Karl, You are absolutely right! In this case, I got "close enough" to my
design
to realize I need to keep thinking about it (and it's application).
As you suggest, it's practically like I already built it. And, as you also
suggested,
a lot of the right questions were brought up in the process. I'm sold! : )

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bill wrote:

The program IS great--fun too! I made a room with a tinted window and a
door, hung
a painting of George Washington inside and you could his see his picture
looking through
the window from outside. I deleted it, but honest I modeled it! No
kidding! : )

LOL .... built some owl nesting boxes for a neighbor a year or so ago.
Prior to doing that I made a SU model and showed it to my 85 year old
father, but first put a model couch inside that you couldn't see until
you perched on the opening like an owl would do, and "looked" down into
the nesting area.

Dad got a kick out of that ...

You're on your way, Bill ... helluva tool for the woodworker. Leon and I
have had the opportunity to work together and in doing that, have both
become big fans of SU for our projects and we routinely trade tips and
tricks.

We were both remarking recently how hard it is to go into the shop on a
new project without first doing a detailed model using SketchUp ... we
find it that valuable to maximize both materials and time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Snip

You're on your way, Bill ... helluva tool for the woodworker. Leon and I
have had the opportunity to work together and in doing that, have both
become big fans of SU for our projects and we routinely trade tips and
tricks.

Speaking of which, several months ago, probably last year you showed me how
to produce a mirror image using the scale tool and entering in a "-1" for
the scale after grabbing the middle spots and pulling in the dirrection.

I discovered or rediscovered the "flip along" for the red, blue, or green
axis to make a mirror image. Works "just like that". Were you aware of
that or were you the one that told me about it? LOL

We were both remarking recently how hard it is to go into the shop on a
new project without first doing a detailed model using SketchUp ... we
find it that valuable to maximize both materials and time.

I finally gave up on making "2" knobs for the tower upper doors and coughed
up the 83 cents each at Woodcraft. Now I have to draw them to place them on
the drawing for the perfect placement. :~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
2 pdf files attaches.

There you go ... besides now having a 3d model upon which to base your
project, and present it if necessary, you have learned something about
design in the process by having to think about "design", and, by having
already put the various parts together, you've learned how to best
"execute" that design when you go into the shop.

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Karl, You are absolutely right! In this case, I got "close enough" to my
design
to realize I need to keep thinking about it (and it's application).
As you suggest, it's practically like I already built it. And, as you
also suggested,
a lot of the right questions were brought up in the process. I'm sold!
: )

Bill

My bedroom towers that I have been posting pictures of were the same. All
the problems were solved on the drawing before cutting wood. There were in
excess of 200 pieces for those towers and there was no having to figuring
out how to correct a mistake in the shop.

Now for something that I have never done before, I properly assigned
materials to each of the 200+ components and imported them into Cutlist Plus
to tell me how to get what I needed out of my lumber. I had no dimensions
on the drawings so to speak and only occasionally put in a dimension to
double check when shaping each piece. Almost with out exception each solid
stock piece had a slot/mortise or a tennnon.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Snip

You're on your way, Bill ... helluva tool for the woodworker. Leon and I
have had the opportunity to work together and in doing that, have both
become big fans of SU for our projects and we routinely trade tips and
tricks.

Speaking of which, several months ago, probably last year you showed me how
to produce a mirror image using the scale tool and entering in a "-1" for
the scale after grabbing the middle spots and pulling in the dirrection.

I discovered or rediscovered the "flip along" for the red, blue, or green
axis to make a mirror image. Works "just like that". Were you aware of
that or were you the one that told me about it? LOL

I'm aware of that one, but damn if I know how I know!

We were both remarking recently how hard it is to go into the shop on a
new project without first doing a detailed model using SketchUp ... we
find it that valuable to maximize both materials and time.

I finally gave up on making "2" knobs for the tower upper doors and coughed
up the 83 cents each at Woodcraft. Now I have to draw them to place them on
the drawing for the perfect placement. :~)

Well, duh!! The project simply would NOT be finished unless the SketchUp
model is EXACTLY "as built"!! g

Did the same when I built my side board prototype ... had to draw the
Rockler A&C reproduction hardware I bought and put them in the model to
make all right with the world!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

We were both remarking recently how hard it is to go into the shop on a
new project without first doing a detailed model using SketchUp ... we
find it that valuable to maximize both materials and time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

That was just sort of the thinking which led to the thread I began,
Woodworker: Artist or Engineer.
I was sort of curious how people were spending their time. I don't seem to
mind spending a bit of
time in preparation...I seem to enjoy it.

And, as you mention, it is sure to help optimize the use of materials and
time
in the shop. Thank you again, and Leon as well, for your guidance with SU!

Bil

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Snip

KarlC@ (the obvious)

That was just sort of the thinking which led to the thread I began,
Woodworker: Artist or Engineer.
I was sort of curious how people were spending their time. I don't seem
to mind spending a bit of
time in preparation...I seem to enjoy it.

And, as you mention, it is sure to help optimize the use of materials and
time
in the shop.

Mistakes caught and corrected on the drawings take little time to correct
and cost you nothing in materials. Those same mistakes caught in the shop
cost you much more time and material$.

Thank you again, and Leon as well, for your guidance with SU!

You are welcome and ask any time.

Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 01:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 04:47 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 03:51 PM
If you use Sketchup Paul Franklin Woodworking 4 January 17th 09 04:22 AM
SketchUp Morris Dovey Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 January 1st 09 05:34 PM