DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   some of my kid's work (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/278915-some-my-kids-work.html)

Glen[_2_] May 23rd 09 11:17 PM

some of my kid's work

8 Attachment(s)
I thought I would share a few of the projects my kids did this semester.
The kid with the scroll saw work is a first year student, the rest are
second year. One picture I will need to explain. It is a "piston
motor." When the crank is turned the piston moves up and down through
the cylinder head. I like the idea for this project because it call for
some neat design work. The kids have to work out the dimensions from a
photo of a similar engine.

I know most people think HS kids are all jerks, but I have some pretty
neat kids. To give you an idea of my class, we are an urban, public HS
just outside of Los Angeles. We have about an 85% minority population
and a high rate of poverty. We make do, although I do a great deal of
begging for donations from local businesses, as well as some not so
local. (Thank you, Lee Valley, Home Depot, Rockler, and others)

Glen

Morris Dovey May 24th 09 02:26 AM

some of my kid's work

Glen wrote:
I thought I would share a few of the projects my kids did this semester.
The kid with the scroll saw work is a first year student, the rest are
second year. One picture I will need to explain. It is a "piston
motor." When the crank is turned the piston moves up and down through
the cylinder head. I like the idea for this project because it call for
some neat design work. The kids have to work out the dimensions from a
photo of a similar engine.

They did well (and pat yourself on the back, too)

I know most people think HS kids are all jerks, but I have some pretty
neat kids. To give you an idea of my class, we are an urban, public HS
just outside of Los Angeles. We have about an 85% minority population
and a high rate of poverty. We make do, although I do a great deal of
begging for donations from local businesses, as well as some not so
local. (Thank you, Lee Valley, Home Depot, Rockler, and others)

Heh. It's a time for testing the limits. The kids aren't jerks, but the
testing can be a PIA for everyone who cares about them. :)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Mark & Juanita May 24th 09 05:23 AM

some of my kid's work

Glen wrote:

[...]

I'd say you did a good job there teacher. Those are some pretty intricate
projects and very well done. Those kids have a lot to be proud of.

Ed Pawlowski May 24th 09 10:27 PM

some of my kid's work

"Glen" wrote in message
m...
I thought I would share a few of the projects my kids did this semester.
The kid with the scroll saw work is a first year student, the rest are
second year. One picture I will need to explain. It is a "piston
motor." When the crank is turned the piston moves up and down through
the cylinder head. I like the idea for this project because it call for
some neat design work. The kids have to work out the dimensions from a
photo of a similar engine.

I know most people think HS kids are all jerks, but I have some pretty
neat kids.

Students and teacher should be proud. Nice work.

Bob Crawford May 24th 09 10:31 PM

some of my kid's work

Nice looking work from some great kids and a dedicated teacher. Hats off to
you and them as well.

Bob Crawford

m...

jloomis May 25th 09 05:54 PM

some of my kid's work

Great Work. These kids will bring this with them for life.
Not only will it help them with figuring out problems it will also give them
a feeling of accomplishment. If many of those minorities were given the
opportunity to this kind of class it would help pull them up out of the pot
of drugs, gangs and crime......
jloomis
m...

[email protected] May 27th 09 02:36 AM

some of my kid's work

On Sat, 23 May 2009 15:17:00 -0700, Glen
wrote:

[...]

Takes me back ...oh ... 30 some years. My instructor that year had a
profound influence on me and the things I learned from him (extending
well beyond the woodworking) during that time were life lessons that
have served me well. I'm sure your students will remember their time
with you just as favorably.
Congrats to all for a job well done!

Lenny
(a fan of bandsawn boxes)