Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default What is the Distance from Vanity Top to Medicine Cabinet

I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill

rayNOSPAM at engr.siu.edu
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sam Fertel wrote:

I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Standard installation height is 5' 10" and down.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sam Fertel wrote:
I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

((height of eyes) - (height of waist)) / 2 - (height of vanity)

should probably be a maximum...

....or you could just hold it up to the wall and ask :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

((height of eyes) - (height of waist)) / 2 - (height of vanity)

Argh! Either one (but not both) of those minuses should be a plus.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

...or you could just hold it up to the wall and ask :-)

That substantially reduces complaints later.

"But honey, that is where you said it looked best."

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Sam Fertel" wrote in message
I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Nothing standard ... one of the considerations is the size of the sink and
how much backsplash you want to keep water from splashing the medicine
cabinet when the sink is in use.

A sink smaller in diameter causes more splash.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

rayNOSPAM at engr.siu.edu

Better consult SWMBO and there won"t be any complaints later.

How do I know this?? Guess

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Sam Fertel" wrote in message
.. .
I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Nothing standard ... one of the considerations is the size of the sink and
how much backsplash you want to keep water from splashing the medicine
cabinet when the sink is in use.

A sink smaller in diameter causes more splash.

Of course there are Industry Standards for every fixture in a house.
Like the installation of hardware for a Door, height of light switches,
Plumbing Fixtures and electrical sockets, just to name a few.

Try to realize that the average human being is just under six feet tall.
And unless the house is being constructed for Visitors From Another Planet
who are Seven Feet Tall, it would be wise to use just a little Common Sense.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Randy" wrote in message
d-secrets.com...
Swingman wrote:

"Sam Fertel" wrote in message
. ..
I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Nothing standard ... one of the considerations is the size of the sink and
how much backsplash you want to keep water from splashing the medicine
cabinet when the sink is in use.

A sink smaller in diameter causes more splash.

Of course there are Industry Standards for every fixture in a house.
Like the installation of hardware for a Door, height of light switches,
Plumbing Fixtures and electrical sockets, just to name a few.

Point us to the "Industry Standard" measurement for distance from the vanity
top to the medicine cabinet please.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Randy" wrote in message
ed-secrets.com...
Swingman wrote:

"Sam Fertel" wrote in message
I'm remodeling a small bathroom for SWMBO. The new vanity is 36" high
counting the top. The medicine cabinet is 30" high. I'm thinking the
distance between the two should be about 12". Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Nothing standard ... one of the considerations is the size of the sink and
how much backsplash you want to keep water from splashing the medicine
cabinet when the sink is in use.

A sink smaller in diameter causes more splash.

Of course there are Industry Standards for every fixture in a house.
Like the installation of hardware for a Door, height of light switches,
Plumbing Fixtures and electrical sockets, just to name a few.

Point us to the "Industry Standard" measurement for distance from the vanity
top to the medicine cabinet please.

Please take a moment to add 36+12+30.
If Simple Math was not offered at the asylum, pull out a measuring tape
and mark the wall with a purple crayon for the total.

Use some Common Sense, little man.
If you hadn't snipped all the damaging evidence that affected such a
fragile ego, the answer was right in front of your crossed-eyes.

Here it is once again for your reading pleasure, dumbass:
Try to realize that the average human being is just under six feet tall.
And unless the house is being constructed for Visitors From Another Planet
who are Seven Feet Tall, it would be wise to use just a little Common Sense.

haveaniceday.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Randy" wrote in

Swingman wrote:
Point us to the "Industry Standard" measurement for distance from the
vanity
top to the medicine cabinet please.

Please take a moment to add 36+12+30.
If Simple Math was not offered at the asylum, pull out a measuring tape
and mark the wall with a purple crayon for the total.

Use some Common Sense, little man.
If you hadn't snipped all the damaging evidence that affected such a
fragile ego, the answer was right in front of your crossed-eyes.

Here it is once again for your reading pleasure, dumbass:
Try to realize that the average human being is just under six feet tall.
And unless the house is being constructed for Visitors From Another Planet
who are Seven Feet Tall, it would be wise to use just a little Common
Sense.

LOL ... just what I figured, nothing but gas and a couple of tiny turds in
response.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Randy" wrote in

Swingman wrote:
[...]

An exact measurement and reasonable facts were offered to help the person.
Unlike the warning and cockamamie advise you shared about raising a fixture
to avoid "water splashing the medicine cabinet when the sink is in use."

BWAHAAHAAHAAhaha. . . etc.

Perhaps this gem of priceless knowledge emanated from a homeless person who
doesn't know what a shower looks like and bathes in the sink.

Faucet Aerators have been designed to minimize splatter.
These Marvels Of Modern Technology have been readily available at any
hardware store for the past twenty years, peabrain.

So you have no idea or Clue what you're babbling about -
Go join the circus.

haveaniceday.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Randy wrote in message
BWAHAAHAAHAAhaha. . . etc.
So you have no idea or Clue what you're babbling about -
Go join the circus.

Right! Says the idiot who responds with "BWAHAAHAAHAAhaha", which is the
stock reply from a wannabe hacker who managed to find a computer already
turned on. Swingman's construction skills would dwarf any building knowledge
you currently or ever will have.

Instead of showing everyone what a twit you are, why don't you lurk and read
for awhile and actually learn something?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DanG" wrote in message
Yes, there are industry standards for virtually everything.

Yes there are. And I'm sure there's even a standard on how to pee in
straight line, but many of those standards are either useless, wasteful, or
enacted by someone without a shred of experience or common sense as to how
those standards relate to people. ~ Common sense that can be applied to the
original vanity topic.

Case in point. I use a wheelchair. There are standards in Canada on the
placement and the angle of grab bars for wheelchair accessible washrooms.
And, that particular standard is ABSOLUTELY USELESS for anyone who doesn't
have some measure of walking ability. Ironically enough, it's the people who
need a horizontal angle on the grab bars the most that have to deal with
these grab bars that are closer to vertical than horizontal.

Every few months for a number of years, I've written emails and sent snail
mail to the regulating government body about this problem. I've never had
anything back other than a form mail response that they will look into the
problem.

That's my experience.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

I hear ya. As someone who has a hearing loss, I can relate. In the world of
telephones, televison, etc., there is a huge amount of regulation that is
essentially nonsensical. None of it is based on my actual needs. Indeed, the
way that the flat panel displays are made these days, some simple
modifications would make it a 1,000% better for me. But nobody cares
because "regulations" are in place. Since these "regulations" exist, my
needs are supposedly being met.

Interestingly enough, It is easier to plug headphones into an old CRT TV
than the new digital TV's. Apparently they are not required on the new
TV's. Or maybe headphone jacks are not sexy anymore. Also, why are all the
controls small and invisible?

And as for wheelchair types of construction, I have worked on a couple
projects with others. And what I did is talk to the person who was going to
actually use what we built. And built it to their specifications. I didn't
give a rip about regulations. Just taking care of somebody's needs.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
Interestingly enough, It is easier to plug headphones into an old CRT TV
than the new digital TV's. Apparently they are not required on the new
TV's. Or maybe headphone jacks are not sexy anymore.

g No, you missed the point of it all Lee. You're supposed to go out and
buy a surround sound system to connect the digital TV to and then you can
plug your headphones into that. It's all a marketing ploy to get you to
spend more money.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

Randy wrote in message
BWAHAAHAAHAAhaha. . . etc.
So you have no idea or Clue what you're babbling about -
Go join the circus.

Right! Says the idiot who responds with "BWAHAAHAAHAAhaha", which is the
stock reply from a wannabe hacker who managed to find a computer already
turned on. Swingman's construction skills would dwarf any building knowledge
you currently or ever will have.

Instead of showing everyone what a twit you are, why don't you lurk and read
for awhile and actually learn something?

And The Calvary arrives to rescue their fallen hero. . .

Please pardon such an untimely interjection of wit that shot the SwingMonkey's
'Theory Of Updrafts Mysteriously Splashing Water On Medicine Cabinets', clear
out the blue sky. Kindly accept a most sincere and heart-felt apology for
pointing out such an extremely obvious fact which shattered your little world.

haveaniceday.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DanG" wrote in message
Although it is a bit pricey, I could not get along without my copy of :
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...TANDARDS2.html

Yes, there are industry standards for virtually everything.

My copy, admittedly old, does not show an "Industry Standard" distance
regarding subject question.

Please quote same from your book ... give me a section and page so I can see
if it coincides and I just missed it.

Thanks ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Point us to the "Industry Standard" measurement for distance from the
vanity top to the medicine cabinet please.

Easy enough to do.

The new Pelosi Stimulus Package has two pages devoted to the new Committee
for Medicine Cabinet Standards that are going to employ over 300 people to
insure that all bathrooms are to the standard developed. In the 2010 census,
the census taker will not only count the number of people living in your
home, they will also measure the fixtures in the bathroom. You can then
apply for a certificate of compliance.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Morris;

I'd like to thank you for your response. Even though my wife and I are
both engineers, I've decided to use your method, rather than a
formula. My wife got a good laugh when I forwarded her some of the
posts and then told her I had decided to use your method. Thanks
again.

Bill

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:12:49 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote

...or you could just hold it up to the wall and ask :-)

That substantially reduces complaints later.

"But honey, that is where you said it looked best."

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sam Fertel wrote:

I'd like to thank you for your response. Even though my wife and I are
both engineers, I've decided to use your method, rather than a
formula. My wife got a good laugh when I forwarded her some of the
posts and then told her I had decided to use your method. Thanks
again.

You're welcome. The zeroth principle of family engineering is "always
ask". :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message
Although it is a bit pricey, I could not get along without my copy of :
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...TANDARDS2.html

Yes, there are industry standards for virtually everything.

My copy, admittedly old, does not show an "Industry Standard" distance
regarding subject question.

Please quote same from your book ... give me a section and page so I can see
if it coincides and I just missed it.

All shall be revealed after a point of reference is established and work has
commenced. The installation height of Medicine Cabinets is more significant
and will define the unknown variable.

Learn to visualize the entire process instead of jousting Windmills.

Thanks ...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you all for your help.

To those of you that seem to want to gripe and complain to others, I'd
like to quote Samuel Clemens:
"Always do right. This will surprise some people and astonish the
rest."

Bill

rayNOSPAM at engr.siu.edu

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

You're right ... glad you got your problem solved, and sure hope you indeed
used an "industry standard" distance between your vanity top and medicine
cabinet to insure future resale value!

(just kidding ... you should not have a problem with that, as a cabinet
maker and builder/general contractor who is in the "industry", and still
building houses as we speak, I can assure you that for all practical
purposes there is no such thing)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

rayNOSPAM at engr.siu.edu

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
You're right ... glad you got your problem solved, and sure hope you
indeed used an "industry standard" distance between your vanity top and
medicine cabinet to insure future resale value!

(just kidding ... you should not have a problem with that, as a cabinet
maker and builder/general contractor who is in the "industry", and still
building houses as we speak, I can assure you that for all practical
purposes there is no such thing)

There certainly is. My Stanley tape measure has a mark at 16". I'm sure
that is for medicine cabinet to vanity height. For tall people they put one
at 32". Yep, that has to be what they are for.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
You're right ... glad you got your problem solved, and sure hope you
indeed used an "industry standard" distance between your vanity top and
medicine cabinet to insure future resale value!

(just kidding ... you should not have a problem with that, as a cabinet
maker and builder/general contractor who is in the "industry", and still
building houses as we speak, I can assure you that for all practical
purposes there is no such thing)

There certainly is. My Stanley tape measure has a mark at 16". I'm sure
that is for medicine cabinet to vanity height. For tall people they put
one at 32". Yep, that has to be what they are for.

Au contraire, mon ami ... both of those are actually for measuring the depth
of the ebb and flow of the bullsh*t here, and in the Wrec.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08