Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Cedar chair armrest attachement need help

Building 6 of these chairs out of red cedar. 22 m&t joints in each. I'm
having trouble deciding on thype of joint for the attachement of the armrest
to the angled back leg. The armrest will have a notch in it that corresponds
to the 2x2 size of the back leg. I would like to avoid screwing through the
back of the leg and thought of another m&t joint...... Any suggestions?
sorry for the roughness of the picture

Attached Images
File Type: bmp chair arm.bmp (312.9 KB, 64 views)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thought about that, thanks. Concerned with getting the angles right and the
type of jig i would have to build. Something to consider though.....
"jloomis" wrote in message
oak dowel? (glued)
jloomis
"mcgyver" wrote in message
Building 6 of these chairs out of red cedar. 22 m&t joints in each. I'm
having trouble deciding on thype of joint for the attachement of the
armrest to the angled back leg. The armrest will have a notch in it that
corresponds to the 2x2 size of the back leg. I would like to avoid
screwing through the back of the leg and thought of another m&t
joint...... Any suggestions? sorry for the roughness of the picture

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Drilling into endgrain without wander has me concerned about the best
technique.....
"jloomis" wrote in message
oak dowel? (glued)
jloomis
"mcgyver" wrote in message
Building 6 of these chairs out of red cedar. 22 m&t joints in each. I'm
having trouble deciding on thype of joint for the attachement of the
armrest to the angled back leg. The armrest will have a notch in it that
corresponds to the 2x2 size of the back leg. I would like to avoid
screwing through the back of the leg and thought of another m&t
joint...... Any suggestions? sorry for the roughness of the picture

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mcgyver wrote:
Thought about that, thanks. Concerned with getting the angles right and the
type of jig i would have to build. Something to consider though...

Any way you slice it (pun intended) you're going to have to deal with
those anglesg

How about just coming up with a jig that would have the complementary
angles figured in so that you could just drill the holes production
style? Sort of like a Kreg jig but specific to your particular joint.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Start with a pilot hole. Also I sometimes make my own jig by pre-drill a
block of wood and then sawing it off to match the angle. then attach some
small door skin guides to either side and clamp it to the chair. Use the
handmade guide for the larger bit and if you want use one for the smaller
bit.
jloomis
"mcgyver" wrote in message
Drilling into endgrain without wander has me concerned about the best
technique.....
"jloomis" wrote in message
oak dowel? (glued)
jloomis
"mcgyver" wrote in message
Building 6 of these chairs out of red cedar. 22 m&t joints in each. I'm
having trouble deciding on thype of joint for the attachement of the
armrest to the angled back leg. The armrest will have a notch in it that
corresponds to the 2x2 size of the back leg. I would like to avoid
screwing through the back of the leg and thought of another m&t
joint...... Any suggestions? sorry for the roughness of the picture

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mcgyver wrote:
Building 6 of these chairs out of red cedar. 22 m&t joints in each. I'm
having trouble deciding on thype of joint for the attachement of the armrest
to the angled back leg. The armrest will have a notch in it that corresponds
to the 2x2 size of the back leg. I would like to avoid screwing through the
back of the leg and thought of another m&t joint...... Any suggestions?
sorry for the roughness of the picture

What about a half-lap?

....Keivn
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

End grain to crossgrain will virtually make the waterproof glue useless,
Need a better mecahnical system than pocket screws and i would prefer not to
use any screws in this project. thanks for the suggestion though.
. ..

"mcgyver" wrote in message
Building 6 of these chairs out of red cedar. 22 m&t joints in each. I'm
having trouble deciding on thype of joint for the attachement of the
armrest to the angled back leg. The armrest will have a notch in it that
corresponds to the 2x2 size of the back leg. I would like to avoid
screwing through the back of the leg and thought of another m&t
joint...... Any suggestions? sorry for the roughness of the picture

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

How about drilling dowel holes from backside of back into arms and secure
with glued dowels. You can leave enough space in the dowel hole on the
backside to cap off with wood plugs made out of primary wood if that's an
issue.

I'm assuming you're looking for something faster than a mortise and tenon
joint..