DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drill bit sharpener (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/268133-drill-bit-sharpener.html)

Bart[_5_] January 4th 09 01:26 PM

Drill bit sharpener

I've been lurking for some time, picking up some good ideas for
projects/tools/techniques. Now I have a question...

I have an accumulation of dull drill bits, hoping that eventually an
affordable + effective sharpener would be available. Does anyone have
experience with those on the market now -- like the "Drill Doctor"
sharpeners?

Happy New Year!

Bart

10x January 4th 09 04:30 PM

Drill bit sharpener

In article , Bart
wrote:

I have an accumulation of dull drill bits, hoping that eventually an
affordable + effective sharpener would be available. Does anyone have
experience with those on the market now -- like the "Drill Doctor"
sharpeners?

Bart,

About three years ago my son bought me a Drill Doctor 500x for a
Christmas present. I will admit I wasn't too thrilled with the concept,
and let it languish in the shop for about a year unopened and untried.

One day I needed to drill some 1/2" holes in some 3/16" steel plate.
Even drilling some smaller holes and working my way up to 1/2" it
didn't take long to dull the bits. No time like the present to try out
that useless drill sharpener that the kid bought me.

As soon as fuddled through sharpening the first bit, I knew I made a
mistake by not using it sooner. I now have every bit I can find
sharpened. Sometimes, I'll even have a friend bring over a bit or two
for a touch up.

This is the second time I have done an about face on a gift that I
received. The other was years ago when I received a "Chopper II" wood
splitting axe. That's a story for another time.

Joe
aka 10x

Upscale January 4th 09 04:37 PM

Drill bit sharpener

"10x" wrote in message
As soon as fuddled through sharpening the first bit, I knew I made a
mistake by not using it sooner. I now have every bit I can find
sharpened.

I'll bet it was the name of it that turned you off to it. I have to admit,
I'm where you were and haven't used my two year old Drill Doctor yet. Guess
I'll have to pull it out a give it a try now. :)

Phil Again January 4th 09 04:49 PM

Drill bit sharpener

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:30:12 -0500, 10x wrote:

In article , Bart
wrote:

[...]

Joe:

What size drill bits have you been successful sharpening? My most common
drill bit sizes I need sharpening are all under 3/16" inch; 1/8 inch,
down to wire size drill bits. I know the Drill doctor probably ain't
going to sharpen no #58 drill, but I would like to know just how small a
drill the Drill Doctor will go.

(I use these small drills as pilot holes for scroll saw work.)

Thanks in Advance
Phil

Upscale January 4th 09 04:53 PM

Drill bit sharpener

"Phil Again" wrote in message
What size drill bits have you been successful sharpening? My most common
drill bit sizes I need sharpening are all under 3/16" inch; 1/8 inch,
down to wire size drill bits. I know the Drill doctor probably ain't

The Drill Doctor website has 3/32" smallest size sharpening for all models.

Bart[_5_] January 4th 09 05:50 PM

Drill bit sharpener

OK, thanks for the info. I think I'll take advantage of some sale prices
and get one.

Chris January 5th 09 12:47 AM

Drill bit sharpener

Bart wrote:
I've been lurking for some time, picking up some good ideas for
projects/tools/techniques. Now I have a question...

I have an accumulation of dull drill bits, hoping that eventually an
affordable + effective sharpener would be available. Does anyone have
experience with those on the market now -- like the "Drill Doctor"
sharpeners?

Happy New Year!

Bart

I have had a "Drill Doctor" for about 6 years. Use it quite often. Works great
and I would not trade it for anything else.

Chris

Rich January 5th 09 01:04 AM

Drill bit sharpener

"Chris" wrote in message
Bart wrote:
I've been lurking for some time, picking up some good ideas for
projects/tools/techniques. Now I have a question...

I have an accumulation of dull drill bits, hoping that eventually an
affordable + effective sharpener would be available. Does anyone have
experience with those on the market now -- like the "Drill Doctor"
sharpeners?

Happy New Year!

Bart

I have had a "Drill Doctor" for about 6 years. Use it quite often. Works
great and I would not trade it for anything else.

Chris

I was a Tool & Die maker for 25 years before moving up to engineering.

What you need is a good $5 gauge, from Sears, that shows the proper angle to
grind to. It only takes a few tries to get it right and if your not drilling
through CPM-M4 (tough stuff) or tool steel of any sort and mostly drilling
in wood you have more margin for error. If you have a belt sander use that
as it's nice and flat instead of dressing your grinding wheel flat.

Just my $.02 worth.

Rich

Clifford Heath January 5th 09 06:44 AM

Drill bit sharpener

Rich wrote:
What you need is a good $5 gauge, from Sears, that shows the proper angle to
grind to. It only takes a few tries to get it right

I sharpen my drills by hand on a grinder, and though
I get it right easily most of the time now, it took a
lot of time before I developed a grip and an eye to
be able to do it. I reckon I spent several hours at
least, grinding custom lathe tools for thread-cutting
etc, which is where the skill came from. Expect to
spend a while learning it, and probably still getting
a slightly inferior result ;-).

10x January 5th 09 03:05 PM

Drill bit sharpener

In article , Phil Again
wrote:

Joe:

What size drill bits have you been successful sharpening? My most common
drill bit sizes I need sharpening are all under 3/16" inch; 1/8 inch,
down to wire size drill bits. I know the Drill doctor probably ain't
going to sharpen no #58 drill, but I would like to know just how small a
drill the Drill Doctor will go.

(I use these small drills as pilot holes for scroll saw work.)

Thanks in Advance
Phil

Phil,

The 500x will sharpen any bit from 3/32" up to 1/2". The 750x will do
up to 3/4".

I liked the 500x so much that, after I started using it, I ordered the
bit chuck that would take up to 3/4". Basically, what I did, was to
turn my 500 into a 750.

I especially like the split point feature on the larger bits. It does
help to keep them from walking away from the starting point.

Joe
aka 10x

Phil Again January 5th 09 05:42 PM

Drill bit sharpener

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:05:12 -0500, 10x wrote:

In article , Phil Again
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joe and Upscale.

I guess I will pass on that drill sharpener. Need to sharpen drills
smaller than 3/32.