Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default quilter's cutting table

Recently, I have posted about pullthrough drawers and drawer encoding on the
wreck. Here is the result.

What can I say about this beast? It's heavy. Except plywood drawer bottoms,
it is entirely constructed of sugar (hard) maple. The finish is water-based
poly on all but the drawer interiors and bottoms which has 2 light coats of
shellac

This is stock which I purchased very at very low cost, mostly because of the
unusual defects. This maple tree had been tapped for syrup production. Note
the holes correspond to all of the (dis) coloration marks. I used "figured"
stock for all the drawer fronts and pannels, and clear for the rest.

The drawer orientation encoding scheme that I came up with is one dot per
drawer. "upper" drawers have the dot above the runner, lowers, below.
Matching dots are inlaid on the case.

I must say that this project is of deceivingly large scope. It has 20 drawer
fronts, more than my reasonably well-equipped kitchen. Sanding, fitting,
finishing the drawers and drawer dividers seemed to take an eternity. faces
of the drawers were joined with a lock rabbet and the fixed drawer back
(middle?) employed through tennons housed in a shallow dado.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
quilter's cutting table-2008_1126tablecutting0003-jpg  quilter's cutting table-2008_1126tablecutting0002-jpg  quilter's cutting table-2008_1126tablecutting0004-jpg  quilter's cutting table-2008_1126tablecutting0005-jpg  quilter's cutting table-2008_1126tablecutting0006-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:37:32 -0500, C & S wrote:

[...]

Looks good Steve.
Great job. What is the size of the top?

Paul T.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

C & S wrote:
[...]

Hey Steve,

The table/cabinet is fantastic! The design is unique and original. A
very hansom piece to be sure. Nice job!

Rick

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Looks good Steve.
Great job.

Thanks

What is the size of the top?

37-1/4" x 57" A "36-inch" cutting mat is actually 37" The top is sized to
accomodate a variety of mat combinations and still be roughly the same size
as the wobbly folding table it replaces.

-Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message
Recently, I have posted about pullthrough drawers and drawer encoding on
the
wreck. Here is the result.

Two comments.

Great job. Not only does it look good, but it will obviously serve a quilter
well. The "figured" maple looks nice.

I don't dare show this to my wife!! Who is a quilter.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Interesting piece in interesting wood. Must weigh a ton - and a half.
Nice the way the spalting pattern flows acrossed the drawers. The
raised panels on the sides is a nice touch. The top glue up must've been
fun. Did you T&G, spline or biscuit the boards?

I guess quilters work all the way around the bench so the through
drawers idea will get some use.

I did through drawers on my woodworking bench - but combined the drawer
guide and drawer pulls function rather than putting drawer pulls on the
drawer fronts.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D...CBbench17.html

Must admit that through drawers on a woodworker's bench seemed like a
good idea at the time - but I've never actually used them from the
"back".

Lots of nice details in your bench - that most people probably won't
notice - or appreciate. Nice work.

Any idea of the hours in this thing - or the board feet?

charlie b
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

C & S wrote:

Recently, I have posted about pullthrough drawers and drawer encoding on
the wreck. Here is the result.

Nice project.

Once again, must keep my wife from seeing this. :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Interesting piece in interesting wood. Must weigh a ton - and a half.

I estimate that it's just north of 200 lbs.

Nice the way the spalting pattern flows acrossed the drawers. The
raised panels on the sides is a nice touch. The top glue up must've been
fun. Did you T&G, spline or biscuit the boards?

Nope just glue. I glued subassemblies of about 6 boards, rejoint/plane and
then assembled those.

I guess quilters work all the way around the bench so the through
drawers idea will get some use.

Not really, it replaces a table of similar size that rolls around the room.
It ends up being a laundry sorting table.

I did through drawers on my woodworking bench - but combined the drawer
guide and drawer pulls function rather than putting drawer pulls on the
drawer fronts....

Perhaps it's obvious, perhaps not. My design was was heavily influenced by
woodworking bench design.

Lots of nice details in your bench - that most people probably won't
notice - or appreciate. Nice work.

Thanks.

Any idea of the hours in this thing - or the board feet?

120 hours? 150 bdft? I really didn't count either.

-Steve

Cutting Table Mr P Woodworking 5 August 20th 07 05:21 AM
cutting table top [email protected] Woodworking 4 January 11th 07 07:34 AM
cutting table top RayV Woodworking 0 January 10th 07 02:54 PM
jig for cutting blanks on a table saw william kossack Woodturning 31 March 31st 05 03:43 PM
Cutting firewood with a table saw ray Woodworking 37 August 8th 04 08:33 PM