Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default retry - A simple porch repair (0/1)

Sorry folks, I botched the first send attempt with Agent. There
should be 2 photos attached.

So, back at the end of summer my wife asked me to fix a couple of
rotted boards on our porch. The attached pictures show what I ended
up with, which is a completely new porch.

First, I pulled off the rotted boards and found mushrooms on the
underside. So I took off more boards, and exposed the huge mud hole
the builders left under the porch.

So I pulled the rest of the boards, removed the joists, and put half a
truckload of rock in the hole with help from a friend and his tractor.

But to get the boards off, I had to pull off the siding in the covered
area of the porch, because the ends of the deck boards were under the
siding and the boards couldn't be pulled out without cutting them (I
was still trying to reuse some of the boards at this point).

Then, after removing some of the siding, it became obvious that the
flashing was a mess. So I pulled all the rest of the siding around
the porch to replace the flashing.

After replacing the flashing, I couldn't bear to keep the bouncy old
2x8 joists on 24 inch centers, and I really wanted to add a border.
So, I redid the framing with 2x10's on 16 inch centers and extra
supports for the board ends and a border, with a nice gap for the pine
needles to drop through.

Somewhere in here I dropped the idea of reusing the old boards and
bought new new (I now have a huge pile of cedar for birdhouses :-).

So, weeks later, the "repair" is done and we have a completely new
porch. Unfortunately, I had to finish building it in the rain, so it
probably won't get sealed until next summer.

Tim
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tim Carver" wrote in message

So, back at the end of summer my wife asked me to fix a couple of
rotted boards on our porch. The attached pictures show what I ended
up with, which is a completely new porch.

So, did it go over the original $30 repair budget?

Looks good. Worth the effort in the long run.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tim Carver brought next idea :

So, back at the end of summer my wife asked me to fix a couple of
rotted boards on our porch. The attached pictures show what I ended
up with, which is a completely new porch.

snip

So, weeks later, the "repair" is done and we have a completely new
porch. Unfortunately, I had to finish building it in the rain, so it
probably won't get sealed until next summer.

Tim

Beautiful Porch Tim. It's amazing how much work it is to fix something
that could have been great the first time with just a little more
effort. But your replacement is something to be proud of.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

The Damicos wrote in
:

Tim Carver brought next idea :

So, back at the end of summer my wife asked me to fix a couple of
rotted boards on our porch. The attached pictures show what I ended
up with, which is a completely new porch.

snip

So, weeks later, the "repair" is done and we have a completely new
porch. Unfortunately, I had to finish building it in the rain, so it
probably won't get sealed until next summer.

Tim

Beautiful Porch Tim. It's amazing how much work it is to fix something
that could have been great the first time with just a little more
effort. But your replacement is something to be proud of.

I second the sentiments.
And I appreciate the amount of work ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tim Carver wrote in
:

I like the way you put a little chamfer on the ends of the decking planks.
Nice touch!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:42:42 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

So, did it go over the original $30 repair budget?

The 2x6 tight knot cedar was about $1.60 per LF. If the rest of my
house and decking wasn't already cedar, I would have used something
else - I could have done mahogany or Ipe for not that much more
money. The PT framing lumber was outrageous as well. It's weird,
because regular fir framing lumber is really cheap around here right
now.

Tim
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:22:03 -0800, Tim Carver
wrote:

The 2x6 tight knot cedar was about $1.60 per LF. If the rest of my
house and decking wasn't already ceda

Tim,

I got in on this thread late and the pictures were already gone. Would
you mind reposting them or putting up a link?

Thanks