Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Advice on pantry needed (0/1)

I have this old pantry cupboard that I am re-building, and I decided to add
thick doors that will hold cans and small boxes. The front of the doors will
have panels matching the rest of the kitchen. (old pine)

I'm kind of designing and building as I go... it's a real hobby for me!

I decided to use fiber board for the partitions, as you can see in the photos.

Any advice on holding all this together would be appreciated! I would like the
option to move things around and change sizes if necessary... I was thinking of
maybe dowel pegs that can be un-plugged, but that sounds difficult to match up.

Also, how to keep the cans from falling out but not using a lot of room - thin
brass straps or something?

Right now everything is an experiment!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Advice on pantry needed (0/1) - shelf.png (1/1)

In article ,
wrote:
I have this old pantry cupboard that I am re-building, and I decided to add
thick doors that will hold cans and small boxes. The front of the doors will
have panels matching the rest of the kitchen. (old pine)

I'm kind of designing and building as I go... it's a real hobby for me!

I decided to use fiber board for the partitions, as you can see in the
photos.

Any advice on holding all this together would be appreciated! I would like
the
option to move things around and change sizes if necessary... I was thinking
of
maybe dowel pegs that can be un-plugged, but that sounds difficult to match
up.

If I were doing this, I'd either use one of the many prebuilt adjustable
shelf bracket systems (usually involving clips that fit into a
perforated strip or into one of a series of holes drilled in the frame),
or else construct and attach a series of notched supporting battens
something like in the attached sorry attempt at a sketch. Only one is
shown, but you'd presumably want a bunch evenly spaced on either side of
the frame, at maybe 1 or 2 inch intervals. The shelf could be slid in
between any set of these, and then rests in the long notched-out portion
and is held in position by the dog at the end and the lip on the frame
at the far side.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
CR CR is offline

maybe dowel pegs that can be un-plugged, but that sounds difficult to match
up.

I have a piece of pegboard that I use as a guide when drilling holes for
shelf pegs. You can use a piece of dowel on the drill bit to drill them all
the same depth or just a piece of tape on the drill. Clamp the pegboard
piece on the work and drill through the existing holes that are in it then
do the same to the other side. All of your holes will align from side to
side.

"Andrew Erickson" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Advice on pantry needed (0/1) - shelf.png (1/1) - New_saw.jpg (0/1)

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:58:38 -0500, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I hate those strip/clip things, the old pantry had that and I tossed them... it
was always a pain to get the clips in and I thought it looked cheap!

or else construct and attach a series of notched supporting battens
something like in the attached sorry attempt at a sketch. Only one is
shown, but you'd presumably want a bunch evenly spaced on either side of
the frame, at maybe 1 or 2 inch intervals. The shelf could be slid in
between any set of these, and then rests in the long notched-out portion
and is held in position by the dog at the end and the lip on the frame
at the far side.

You've given me an idea on locking the shelves into cutouts in the vertical
supports... all I would need to do is screw (or dowel) the bottom and top side
supports into the sides, and all the other supports and shelves would be stuck
good. It would be fairly simple to re-arrange the supports later to change
height.

I bought a new scroll saw today to help me out.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Advice on pantry needed (0/1) - shelf.png (1/1) - New_saw.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Advice on pantry needed (0/1)-new_saw-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:26:06 -0800, "CR" wrote:

maybe dowel pegs that can be un-plugged, but that sounds difficult to match
up.

I have a piece of pegboard that I use as a guide when drilling holes for
shelf pegs. You can use a piece of dowel on the drill bit to drill them all
the same depth or just a piece of tape on the drill. Clamp the pegboard
piece on the work and drill through the existing holes that are in it then
do the same to the other side. All of your holes will align from side to
side.

Thats a good tip, thanks!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:20:57 -0500, wrote:

I have this old pantry cupboard that I am re-building, and I decided to add
thick doors that will hold cans and small boxes. The front of the doors will
have panels matching the rest of the kitchen. (old pine)

I'm kind of designing and building as I go... it's a real hobby for me!

I decided to use fiber board for the partitions, as you can see in the photos.

You could better than 3/4" fiber board, MDF or particle board for the
shelves; I'd worry about sag if you put to much weight on them. I'd
consider baltic birch ply. You could probably get by with 1/2", or
even 1/4" if you edged the shelves. Check he
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Be sure to check the "shelf and edging diagram" on the right side.

Any advice on holding all this together would be appreciated! I would like the
option to move things around and change sizes if necessary... I was thinking of
maybe dowel pegs that can be un-plugged, but that sounds difficult to match up.

Also, how to keep the cans from falling out but not using a lot of room - thin
brass straps or something?

Maybe just 1/8" thick strips of hardwood, or even pine or fir to match
the rest?

Right now everything is an experiment!

Ah... just like college!

-Zz
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:53:33 -0800, Zz Yzx wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:20:57 -0500, wrote:

I have this old pantry cupboard that I am re-building, and I decided to add
thick doors that will hold cans and small boxes. The front of the doors will
have panels matching the rest of the kitchen. (old pine)

I'm kind of designing and building as I go... it's a real hobby for me!

I decided to use fiber board for the partitions, as you can see in the photos.

You could better than 3/4" fiber board, MDF or particle board for the
shelves; I'd worry about sag if you put to much weight on them. I'd
consider baltic birch ply. You could probably get by with 1/2", or
even 1/4" if you edged the shelves.

I already did some tests with the MDF, and the shelves will only carry 5 cans
maximum in 16", which is about 5 pounds, so that is nothing, and I already have
a ton of this stuff...

Check he
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

That's an interesting site, thanks. The deflection on my shelves will be "0" to
"0.002" !

Advice needed SJP UK diy 0 March 22nd 07 10:14 PM
VFD advice needed. F. George McDuffee Metalworking 9 November 15th 05 08:49 PM
tie down advice needed USENET NEWSREADER Home Repair 11 August 11th 05 05:43 AM
Advice needed ??? Peter Home Repair 14 June 28th 05 03:11 PM