Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Recommendations for newsgroups access or woodworking sites

I have read and posted on rec.woodworking and
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (and other groups)for about 10 years.
These groups have been very helpful for the hobbiest woodworker to see other
peoples work, to post my work, and to ask questions regarding techniques,
etc. Unfortunately Comcast is now ending it's access to newsgroups in a
week or so, so I am looking for help regarding my options:
1. Are there any recommendations for woodworking web sites that provide
similar postings of technical questions and posting of project pictures? I
looked on line but haven't found anything equivalent.
2. Any recommendations regarding free or very cheap access to newsgroups?

Quick replys are appreciated as I will be cut off soon.

Thanks, I hate to give up on breadth of information available on these
sites.
Bob

Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, I did more searching and found info on alternate newsgroups access,
but nothing about possible alternative websites that provide similar
postings. Does anyone have info on this?

Bob,

See the thread "newsgroup vs comcast" in this group (abpw) for more
info. It started on Oct 7.

--
I kill all messages, and replies to messages, from Google Groups. See
http://improve-usenet.org for details.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:27:47 -0700, Bob Abbott wrote:

I have read and posted on rec.woodworking and
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (and other groups)for about 10 years.
These groups have been very helpful for the hobbiest woodworker to see
other peoples work, to post my work, and to ask questions regarding
techniques, etc. Unfortunately Comcast is now ending it's access to
newsgroups in a week or so, so I am looking for help regarding my
that provide similar postings of technical questions and posting of
project pictures? I looked on line but haven't found anything
equivalent. 2. Any recommendations regarding free or very cheap access
to newsgroups?

Quick replys are appreciated as I will be cut off soon.

Thanks, I hate to give up on breadth of information available on these
sites.
Bob
--

http://www.sawmillcreek.org (note the dot 'org')

the forum hosted by publisher of WoodSmith magazine:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

the publisher of Fine Woodworking (Taunton Press) has a forum I followed
a few years ago, a few like that forum. Not my cup of coffee.
You have to wander around the Fine Woodworking pages, and look for
community and then click on Knots. Registration seems mandatory.

There are others, don't forget to search within MSN groups.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks to Dave, Phil and Tom. These plus the info from the other threads
should get me set again. Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob Abbott" wrote in message
. ..
I have read and posted on rec.woodworking and
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (and other groups)for about 10 years.
These groups have been very helpful for the hobbiest woodworker to see
other peoples work, to post my work, and to ask questions regarding
techniques, etc. Unfortunately Comcast is now ending it's access to
newsgroups in a week or so, so I am looking for help regarding my options:
1. Are there any recommendations for woodworking web sites that provide
similar postings of technical questions and posting of project pictures? I
looked on line but haven't found anything equivalent.
2. Any recommendations regarding free or very cheap access to newsgroups?

Quick replys are appreciated as I will be cut off soon.

There have been several threads on this very topic over the past few weeks.
Rather than start a new thread asking exactly the same question that has
been asked and answered in these threads, why not just look at what is
already in the active threads?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Bob Abbott" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow one
to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew, here
would be my recommendation:

For the groups I'm interested in that were dropped by Verizon, I use
astraweb. Specifically, look at news.astraweb.com and search for the
different subscription plans. The one I am using since June is the pay
$10, get 25 GB of downloads (headers not included) until this runs out.
I still have 24 GB in the "bank".

Using Xnews, I can set up as many servers as I like. That includes
Verizon, Astraweb, Microsoft, Motzarella (free non-binary access).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob Abbott wrote:
I have read and posted on rec.woodworking and
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (and other groups)for about 10 years.
These groups have been very helpful for the hobbiest woodworker to see other
peoples work, to post my work, and to ask questions regarding techniques,
etc. Unfortunately Comcast is now ending it's access to newsgroups in a
week or so, so I am looking for help regarding my options:
1. Are there any recommendations for woodworking web sites that provide
similar postings of technical questions and posting of project pictures? I
looked on line but haven't found anything equivalent.
2. Any recommendations regarding free or very cheap access to newsgroups?

Quick replys are appreciated as I will be cut off soon.

Thanks, I hate to give up on breadth of information available on these
sites.
Bob

I'm replying through newshosting.com. The account I have there costs
about $15 a month, but has essentially unlimited download volume...
They have some pretty good lower cost options too.
Have been able to find just about every group I've been used to (had the
same problem when Roadrunner dropped groups about a year ago...)

--Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow one
to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew, here
would be my recommendation:

Why? He's asking a question about providers, which really has nothing to do
with binary retention. To start this anew only makes yet another thread on
the same thing that is actively being discussed.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow
one to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew,
here would be my recommendation:

Why? He's asking a question about providers, which really has nothing
to do with binary retention. To start this anew only makes yet
another thread on the same thing that is actively being discussed.

Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the question was because
Comcast is going to stop offering newsgroups, how the OP could stay "in the
loop". Since this was posted in a binary group with likely low retention,
I just made a short recommendation. OP can take it from there.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 10/19/08 8:31 AMOct 19, "Han" wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow
one to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew,
here would be my recommendation:

Why? He's asking a question about providers, which really has nothing
to do with binary retention. To start this anew only makes yet
another thread on the same thing that is actively being discussed.

Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the question was because
Comcast is going to stop offering newsgroups, how the OP could stay "in the
loop". Since this was posted in a binary group with likely low retention,
I just made a short recommendation. OP can take it from there.

Check the cross posting. This also went to rec.woodworking, a text-only
group. That is a more appropriate place for this discussion anyway.

In any case, the notion fo retention applies to the news server, not to the
news group. Various providers may have different retention policies for text
versus binary groups, but ti is still a function of the NNTP server
policies.

Neither of these changes the basic point that this has been discussed a
number of times already. If the OP wanted to discuss this in a newsgroup
where it would be clearly on-topic, then he should have used
alt.online-service.comcast .

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow
one to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew,
here would be my recommendation:

Why? He's asking a question about providers, which really has nothing
to do with binary retention. To start this anew only makes yet
another thread on the same thing that is actively being discussed.

Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the question was because
Comcast is going to stop offering newsgroups, how the OP could stay "in
the
loop". Since this was posted in a binary group with likely low retention,
I just made a short recommendation. OP can take it from there.

Argh! I see. I did not notice the post to the binaries group as well as
the regular group. My bad. I thought he was asking about the regular
group. All the same - there have been quite a few discussions on this very
thing over the past couple of months, in a regular manner. All the OP had
to do was read the newsgroup and he'd have found his answer, rather than
starting a new thread.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

try teranews.com for about $4 you can get free account(4 sign up fee that's
all ever) that gives you 50mgs a month download if your only into binaries
that's all you will ever need.

len

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
No Name

Leonard Shapiro wrote:

try teranews.com for about $4 you can get free account(4 sign up fee that's
all ever) that gives you 50mgs a month download if your only into binaries
that's all you will ever need.

Teranews allows the user to download 50megs a day.

len

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

@. wrote in
anews.com:

Leonard Shapiro wrote:

try teranews.com for about $4 you can get free account(4 sign up fee
that's all ever) that gives you 50mgs a month download if your only
into binaries that's all you will ever need.

Teranews allows the user to download 50megs a day.

len

I'll let this post be my swan song. My Comcast Service stops tomorrow.
Free TerraNews is fine for reading all groups. The problem is posting.
Sometimes the posting will show up quickly but other times it will
magically appear on the group days later, long after responses to the
thread are relavant. Having used TerraNews before getting Comcast a few
months ago, I am "Alurker" since in order to post effectively with
TerraNews I switch to Google Groups to post even though reading
unfiltered threads on Google is too painful. So tomorrow I'm relagated
to lurking again.

Jerry
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

A Lurker wrote in news:Xns9B419F3E638B8aLurker@
216.196.97.136:

@. wrote in
anews.com:

Leonard Shapiro wrote:

[...]

Once again, Motzarella is pretty good for non-binary groups and free.
Astraweb has this nifty $10 contribution account that will let you
download 25 GB, it doesn't expire, so I am still using it now. I paid in
June and still have a bout 24GB left to spend. Other subscriptinos
available too. Check it out. http://news.astraweb.com/

Satisfied user ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A Lurker wrote:

I'll let this post be my swan song. My Comcast Service stops tomorrow.

I've been using Motzarella for my text groups but today is the 25th and
comcast still has not notified me they are dropping newsgroups? I'm
posting this via comcast so if you are reading it, then comcast is still
as of 10:00 a.m 0n 10/25/2007 still carrying newsgroups, and binary ones
as well.

Perhaps today is the last day? Still, I wonder why they haven't
notified me yet?

I might add that Motzarella has worked flawlessly for me so far for text
stuff and there has been no discernible difference from Giganews and
Motzarella.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:39:01 -0500, A Lurker wrote:

Jerry, if newsgroups are worth $3 a month to you for great service, try APN:

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

I've been very happy with them..

@. wrote in
tanews.com:

Leonard Shapiro wrote:

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 10/25/08 10:43 AMOct 25, "mac davis" wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:39:01 -0500, A Lurker wrote:

Jerry, if newsgroups are worth $3 a month to you for great service, try APN:

That is what I just did.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

I also lost usenet access from Time Warner Roadrunner several months ago.

Have been happy with Forte. http://www.forteinc.com/apn/ Agent Premium
Newsgroups.

Just $2.95 for 12gig/month. More than sufficient for me.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:39:01 -0500, A Lurker wrote:

Jerry, if newsgroups are worth $3 a month to you for great service,
try APN:

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

I've been very happy with them..

Mac

Thanks for your suggestion. I probably will at some point. I can read all
binary and text based groups with free.teranews. It is the unpredictable
posting times that drive me crazy if I'm trying to post an answer. I've
been hanging out less on the wRECk and more on Wood Central's Turning
group. Something you will understand is that I seem to be doing more
turning and less flat work

Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
A Lurker wrote:

I'll let this post be my swan song. My Comcast Service stops tomorrow.

I've been using Motzarella for my text groups but today is the 25th and
comcast still has not notified me they are dropping newsgroups? I'm
posting this via comcast so if you are reading it, then comcast is still
as of 10:00 a.m 0n 10/25/2007 still carrying newsgroups, and binary ones
as well.

Perhaps today is the last day? Still, I wonder why they haven't
notified me yet?

I might add that Motzarella has worked flawlessly for me so far for text
stuff and there has been no discernible difference from Giganews and
Motzarella.

I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/ and have had no problems. The prices seem fair.

Chris
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:06:32 -0500, A Lurker wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. I probably will at some point. I can read all
binary and text based groups with free.teranews. It is the unpredictable
posting times that drive me crazy if I'm trying to post an answer. I've
been hanging out less on the wRECk and more on Wood Central's Turning
group. Something you will understand is that I seem to be doing more
turning and less flat work

Jerry

I used to go to WC also, but I really don't like the hassle of browser-based
forums.. Just too much time redrawing screens and stuff..

I bought Agent about 5 years ago for $30 and it just works so good that I don't
do the browser based stuff anymore.. And it has badly needed spell check.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote \

I bought Agent about 5 years ago for $30 and it just works so good that I
don't
do the browser based stuff anymore.. And it has badly needed spell check..
lol

How does Agent work for e-mail?

I'm sick of MSFT's offerings (Windows Live Mail, supposedly the answer to OE
on Vista, is buggy, ill thought out, stupidly interfaced, and apparently
programmed by mentally challenged Millenniums who cheated their way through
16 years of post 1972 "education").

I'm looking for the simplicity of OE for e-mail, but better...

Forte's "RBI" sounds interesting ... does it work and scale as advertised?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

mac davis wrote in
:

[...]

The official abbreviation WC stands for water closet, meaning a little
room with a flush toilet.
This contrasts starkly with a restroom, which (in my opinion) is for
resting, at least that was what I thought upon arriving at JFK for the
first time.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"mac davis" wrote \

I bought Agent about 5 years ago for $30 and it just works so good that I
don't
do the browser based stuff anymore.. And it has badly needed spell
check.. lol

How does Agent work for e-mail?

I'm sick of MSFT's offerings (Windows Live Mail, supposedly the answer to
OE on Vista, is buggy, ill thought out, stupidly interfaced, and
apparently programmed by mentally challenged Millenniums who cheated their
way through 16 years of post 1972 "education").

I'm looking for the simplicity of OE for e-mail, but better...

Forte's "RBI" sounds interesting ... does it work and scale as advertised?

You might also check out Mozilla's (sort of) Thunderbird. I've been using
it the past year on Linux and have been mostly satisfied.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:24:32 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

You might also check out Mozilla's (sort of) Thunderbird. I've been using
it the past year on Linux and have been mostly satisfied.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried T and was disappointed with the
interface and configurability.

This is my 2nd newsgroup post with the free trial of Forte Agent. So
far, so good.

I still like OE for its friendly UI, but it won't run under Vista on
my laptop, thus my continuing battle with that dog, WLM ... what a
piece of trash for them to be so damn proud of. I guess it's fine for
those with no historical perspective, but it sucks, IMO.

Windows Mail is not as bad, but it is missing the tool bar
functionality that I've been used to for years.

Old dogs want no new tricks ...

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

.... snip

Old dogs want no new tricks ...

Oft-times old dogs are pretty darned efficient with the old tricks and
don't want to be slowed down learning new ones to get back to the same
level of efficiency.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in

Swingman wrote:

... snip

Old dogs want no new tricks ...

Oft-times old dogs are pretty darned efficient with the old tricks and
don't want to be slowed down learning new ones to get back to the same
level of efficiency.

LOL ... AAMOF, I once played in a very efficient band, in the 70's named,
"Old Dog and The New Tricks" ... that's Lyle Lovett percussionist, and
current road manager, holding the "bongos" ... we were too efficient to set
up the drums for a photo.

.... and yes, there was much argument about just which one was the Old Dog.
Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago!

Hell, it's a binary NG ... here ya go:

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for newsgroups access or woodworking sites-odnt-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

LOL ... AAMOF, I once played in a very efficient band, in the 70's named,
"Old Dog and The New Tricks" ... that's Lyle Lovett percussionist, and
current road manager, holding the "bongos" ... we were too efficient to
set up the drums for a photo.

... and yes, there was much argument about just which one was the Old Dog.
Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago!

Thirty years ago??

You look older then than you do now!!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:29:48 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote \

I bought Agent about 5 years ago for $30 and it just works so good that I
don't
do the browser based stuff anymore.. And it has badly needed spell check..
lol

How does Agent work for e-mail?

I'm sick of MSFT's offerings (Windows Live Mail, supposedly the answer to OE
on Vista, is buggy, ill thought out, stupidly interfaced, and apparently
programmed by mentally challenged Millenniums who cheated their way through
16 years of post 1972 "education").

I'm looking for the simplicity of OE for e-mail, but better...

Forte's "RBI" sounds interesting ... does it work and scale as advertised?

Can't tell ya, Swing... I've been using Eudora for email since the early 90's, I
guess.. Does everything I need and works well..

I tend to treat software like tools, the browser is the Shopsmith, and does lots
of things well, but I prefer stand alone tools and software..
Agent for newsgroups, Eudora for mail, Photoshop for graphics, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:41:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:

snip
This is my 2nd newsgroup post with the free trial of Forte Agent. So
far, so good.

I tried Outhouse for newsgroups, but after using agent, OE sucked for me,
especially in my music groups..
I'm used to Agent showing me ONE file for a song, and didn't realize that it was
combining the sections, until I looked at them in OE and had to DL about 20
parts and combine them..

I still like OE for its friendly UI, but it won't run under Vista on
my laptop, thus my continuing battle with that dog, WLM ... what a
piece of trash for them to be so damn proud of. I guess it's fine for
those with no historical perspective, but it sucks, IMO.

Windows Mail is not as bad, but it is missing the tool bar
functionality that I've been used to for years.

Old dogs want no new tricks ...

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:19:24 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

LOL ... AAMOF, I once played in a very efficient band, in the 70's named,
"Old Dog and The New Tricks" ... that's Lyle Lovett percussionist, and
current road manager, holding the "bongos" ... we were too efficient to set
up the drums for a photo.

... and yes, there was much argument about just which one was the Old Dog.
Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago!

Hell, it's a binary NG ... here ya go:

Ok.. which one's YOU, Swing??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote
"Swingman" wrote:

LOL ... AAMOF, I once played in a very efficient band, in the 70's named,
"Old Dog and The New Tricks" ... that's Lyle Lovett percussionist, and
current road manager, holding the "bongos" ... we were too efficient to
set
up the drums for a photo.

... and yes, there was much argument about just which one was the Old Dog.
Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago!

Hell, it's a binary NG ... here ya go:

Ok.. which one's YOU, Swing??

LOL ...the least number of strings, but a musician, not a drummer!

More recent shots with current band: www.wildriverband.com ... you'll
recognize the instrument, if nothing else.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:36:51 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Ok.. which one's YOU, Swing??

LOL ...the least number of strings, but a musician, not a drummer!

More recent shots with current band: www.wildriverband.com ... you'll
recognize the instrument, if nothing else.

Damn! Is that bass an antique yet?
Keep on swingin', dude!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:48:06 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

Damn! Is that bass an antique yet?
Keep on swingin', dude!

Neck stamp: "Oct 61" ... or 47 this month.

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Damn! Is that bass an antique yet?
Keep on swingin', dude!

Neck stamp: "Oct 61" ... or 47 this month.

hmm... my freshman year.. lol
have the electronics been rebuilt/replaced?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

hmm... my freshman year.. lol
have the electronics been rebuilt/replaced?

I still have the original electronics, but did replace them with EMG's for
studio work some years back. It's just a matter of dropping the originals
back in, as nothing was done to the body.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:19:49 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Was thinking bout ya last night at karaoke, Swing..
I was in the middle of Waylon's 'Clyde" and flashed on the picture of your
bass..
"Clyde plays electric bass
Plays it with finesse and grace"