Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Solomon Islands Woodwork

Hello everyone, I'm new on here and here's my first post, a Solomon Islands carving.

This one is more of a contemporary carving rather than a traditional one, but if you
look into
the history of culture in the Solomons, the ocean and it's various inhabitants always
feature strongly....

It is relief etched and chiseled from a single piece of timber, and is completely
hollow in the middle.
The photos were taken on a cheap digi camera, but I'll snap some on my SLR if there's
enough people on here
that want to see more...you can't really see the details in these photos, but the
complex texturing on the squid, manta, shark, sea-horse and various fish is really
really beautiful in my opinion...

Anyways hope you enjoy and let me know if you would like to see some more.

Bryan.

Attached Thumbnails
Solomon Islands Woodwork-carving002-jpg  Solomon Islands Woodwork-carving003-jpg  Solomon Islands Woodwork-carving004-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bryan wrote:

Anyways hope you enjoy and let me know if you would like to see some
more.

MORE!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:

MORE!

I'd like to hear some details of what tools and methods he uses to carve the
wood. Pictures of those tools and his shop would also be appreciated.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bryan" wrote in message
[...]

WOW!

Not only is that a great carving, I can't help but wonder how the "hollow"
got in there. Did you start with a hollow log? Or did you carve out the
middle while carving the outside?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I like the one with the hooters.

-TES