Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Sofatable

I have just finished this sofatable. The top is Zelkova (Japanese Elm), as
are the lower shelf supports and the wedges. All of the rest is sycamore.

Unfortunately I can't bring it into the house yet since we have a new puppy
and he and our older dog race around a bit too much without respecting
furniture.

The color of the Zelkova does not show well in the 3/4 and frontal view. It
is much closer to that shown in the top view. Blame the photographer (me)
or the camera.

Cheers,

Larry

Attached Thumbnails
Sofatable-frontal-jpg  Sofatable-top-jpg  Sofatable-view-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
I have just finished this sofatable. The top is Zelkova (Japanese Elm), as
are the lower shelf supports and the wedges. All of the rest is sycamore.

Unfortunately I can't bring it into the house yet since we have a new
puppy
and he and our older dog race around a bit too much without respecting
furniture.

LOL. Maybe you need to build a puppy fence!

Looks nice.

It would just kill me to make something this nice and not to be able to
use/display it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

posted & mailed

Larry Spitz wrote:

I have just finished this sofatable. The top is Zelkova (Japanese Elm), as
are the lower shelf supports and the wedges. All of the rest is sycamore.

Unfortunately I can't bring it into the house yet since we have a new
puppy and he and our older dog race around a bit too much without
respecting furniture.

The color of the Zelkova does not show well in the 3/4 and frontal view.
It is much closer to that shown in the top view. Blame the photographer
(me) or the camera.

Cheers,

Larry

Very nicely executed. Was this your own plan as well?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

It's my own design. I wanted the top of the top shelf to seem to be floating
in space. Hence even the underside of the top shelf is veneered in sycamore
to reflect light between the shelves.

Finish is platinum blonde (Platina) shellac and wax on the sycamore and
garnet shellac on the Zelkova. Then wax.

The lack of spreaders and stretchers was an aesthetic judgment and may have
been an error since it makes the table a bit more vulnerable. If I had
finished this while our old dog was still alive, it would not have been a
problem. With the new puppy, I'll have to wait until he calms down a
little.

Larry

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Very nicely executed. Was this your own plan as well?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz wrote:

It's my own design.

It's a "class act".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Morris Dovey wrote in news:48d8a340$0$89384$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

Larry Spitz wrote:

It's my own design.

It's a "class act".

My vote for Morris' judgement!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

posted & mailed

Larry Spitz wrote:

It's my own design. I wanted the top of the top shelf to seem to be
floating in space. Hence even the underside of the top shelf is veneered
in sycamore to reflect light between the shelves.

Neat idea