DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gluing question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/245990-gluing-question.html)

Bob April 20th 08 12:13 PM

Gluing question

I have some cut outs made on a scroll saw that I would like to glue
to a piece of hardwood engineered flooring material.

On a piece of scrap, I tried Tite-bond 3. It held to some degree,
but the bond was really not sufficient.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what glue would be good for this
application.

Thanks, Bob-tx

B a r r y April 20th 08 12:40 PM

Gluing question

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 05:13:33 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

I have some cut outs made on a scroll saw that I would like to glue
to a piece of hardwood engineered flooring material.

On a piece of scrap, I tried Tite-bond 3. It held to some degree,
but the bond was really not sufficient.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what glue would be good for this
application.

Epoxy or "thick" CA (Super Glue)will bond anything to almost anything.

dan cordes April 20th 08 01:26 PM

Gluing question

Hi Bob,

Is this material pre-finished? If so you'll need to rough up the surface
with sandpaper so the glue can bond with it. good luck with your project.

Dan

jev April 20th 08 01:57 PM

Gluing question

wrote:

I have some cut outs made on a scroll saw that I would like to glue
to a piece of hardwood engineered flooring material.

On a piece of scrap, I tried Tite-bond 3. It held to some degree,
but the bond was really not sufficient.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what glue would be good for this
application.

Thanks, Bob-tx

Gluing to this is problematic due to the extreme smoothness of the
finish on engineered flooring. Titebond does make a glue used for
gluing melamine and that might work altho melamine is still not as
slick as flooring..

ALso try roughing up the surface under the cutouts b4 gluuing

Nova April 20th 08 02:48 PM

Gluing question

Bob wrote:
I have some cut outs made on a scroll saw that I would like to glue
to a piece of hardwood engineered flooring material.

On a piece of scrap, I tried Tite-bond 3. It held to some degree,
but the bond was really not sufficient.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what glue would be good for this
application.

Thanks, Bob-tx

If the scroll saw stock was thick enough I'd attach the cut out by pre
drilling the laminate and using small screws through the laminate from
the back side.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Lew Hodgett[_2_] April 20th 08 09:01 PM

Gluing question

"Bob" wrote:

I have some cut outs made on a scroll saw that I would like to glue
to a piece of hardwood engineered flooring material.

On a piece of scrap, I tried Tite-bond 3. It held to some degree,
but the bond was really not sufficient.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what glue would be good for this
application.

Trace the outline of the piece on the hardwood, then rough up the
surface with a Dremel and a sanding drum, burl, whatever inside the
line.

You want to create a rough surface free of any finish.

Sand the back side of the cutout with 36-60 grit, again to create a
rough surface free of nay finish.

Thickened epoxy with micro-balloons and you are good to go.

Lew

Bob April 21st 08 12:06 PM

Gluing question

"Bob" wrote in message
I have some cut outs made on a scroll saw that I would like to glue
to a piece of hardwood engineered flooring material.

On a piece of scrap, I tried Tite-bond 3. It held to some degree,
but the bond was really not sufficient.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what glue would be good for this
application.

Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, the boards are finished and
highly polished, which is the problem. Some of the cut outs are
quite small and delicate so using screws from the back is not an
option in this case. It would be difficult to roughen the polished
wood only where the cut outs would be. Not sure what I am going to
do, but will probably end up using a pine board for the backing
instead of the engineered wood.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Bob-tx