DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   pens (0/1) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/227647-pens-0-1-a.html)

BumHead December 28th 07 10:30 PM

pens (0/1)

Thanks for all your advise. Went to the Woodcrafters store in
Birmingham for materials and accessories.
My first pens. Slim model is scrap walnut, with three coats of
oil poly.
European model is white oak, but tried a technique I saw or read
somewhere. Heat dried the poly on the lathe with a cloth to the point
of burning it thus the dark color.
Comments, suggestions, or warnings please.

mac davis[_2_] December 29th 07 12:33 AM

pens (0/1) (0/1)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:30:43 -0600, BumHead wrote:

Thanks for all your advise. Went to the Woodcrafters store in
Birmingham for materials and accessories.
My first pens. Slim model is scrap walnut, with three coats of
oil poly.
European model is white oak, but tried a technique I saw or read
somewhere. Heat dried the poly on the lathe with a cloth to the point
of burning it thus the dark color.
Comments, suggestions, or warnings please.

Kind of hard to tell from that picture, dude...
I can see enough to say that you turn better than you shoot, though.. ;-]

From what I can see, they're good to advanced for the first tries.. Look at them
again after doing 10 or 15 and you'll be amazed at the progress..

If you haven't stocked up, I'd suggest that you go to Woodcraft or Craft
supply's pages and order 10 or 20 CHEAP slim pen kits..

Do them before trying the more "expensive" kits... $7 or $8 might not seem
expensive, but compared to $2 or less, it's a big difference..

Practice form and finish, try a few without bands... skew around and get
comfortable with small, etc..

I'll post a few of my early ones. I thought that these were SO cool..
Sort of painful now to look at these pics and know that I was SELLING these to
folks.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis[_2_] December 29th 07 12:33 AM

pens (0/1) (1/1)

4 Attachment(s)