Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default For The Turners

Ok, I need advise from the experts and from those who have made mistakes.

My brother in law just gave me 6 deer antler sets to make pens. Anyone
out there have any experience? Anyone tried and screwed up, but know why
they screwed up?

Some basic questions:

Any curing / aging / drying need to be checked or take place?

Whats the best way to cut them?

Any drilling tips?

Gluing tips?

Turning tips - speed, tools, etc?

Anything that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. I've turned
probably 100 pens, 30 walnut bowls, 6 backscratches, 8 Boxes and made some
other things just for christmas. So I have some experience, just never
attempted Deer Antler. Thanks in advance.

Jack Wynn
Atlanta, GA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

JACK wrote:
Ok, I need advise from the experts and from those who have made mistakes.

My brother in law just gave me 6 deer antler sets to make pens. Anyone
out there have any experience? Anyone tried and screwed up, but know why
they screwed up?

Some basic questions:

Any curing / aging / drying need to be checked or take place?

Whats the best way to cut them?

Any drilling tips?

Gluing tips?

Turning tips - speed, tools, etc?

Anything that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. I've turned
probably 100 pens, 30 walnut bowls, 6 backscratches, 8 Boxes and made some
other things just for christmas. So I have some experience, just never
attempted Deer Antler. Thanks in advance.

Jack Wynn
Atlanta, GA

Can't help you as I mainly turn bowls. Try posting this to
rec.crafts.woodturning. This is mainly a binary (pictures) newsgroup.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Too much of a good thing is *wonderful*.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
JACK wrote:
[...]

Try rec.crafts.woodturning
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

There is a Yahoo group called Penturners you can join and they have
instructions in their files section. Just go to www.groups.yahoo.com and
search for penturners and sign up.

Woody

For The Turners JACK Woodworking 8 December 28th 07 08:58 PM
Question for pen turners NoOne N Particular Woodturning 16 April 19th 07 11:49 PM
Chinese Turners Alan Woodturning 0 March 11th 07 08:27 PM
Oklahoma Turners? James Woodturning 2 May 4th 06 07:03 PM
Mac or any other Turners Joe Woodworking 4 April 29th 06 05:56 PM