Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Mystery Wood

Last weekend my son and I went to my parents house to gather up the last
of the fire wood that we were keeping in their back yard. This was wood
that the tree trimmers took out of their front yard trees. The wood has
been setting out in the elements for about 2 1/2 years. Upon getting it
home to our house a few pieces were too large for the fireplace so my son
and I cut to length and split some of the 8" diameter pieces on the band
saw. Attached are a couple of pictures of what we found after splitting a
piece on the band saw. I ended up with about 30 pieces of veneer from 3
different small logs that are about 1/8" thick, 4 to 8 inches wide, and 20
to 24 inches long.
Apparently the wood has a magical power that accentuates a persons
ability to "whip ass while playing Canasta", if the piece is pointed in the
correct direction while laying in front of you at the card table. ;~)

My wife wants a new jewelry chest and this may look good on the door panels
and drawer fronts.

Can you name the wood?

Attached Thumbnails
Mystery Wood-wood001-%5B640x480%5D-jpg  Mystery Wood-wood002-%5B640x480%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:23:14 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

Canasta wood?
(canary wood with an ass-whipping attitude)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Looks like some spalted mulberry I once turned, or it also could be
hackberry.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Can you name the wood?

Looks to be spalted Maple or spalted Birch.

--
__________

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

My wife wants a new jewelry chest and this may look good on the door
panels and drawer fronts.

Can you name the wood?

Be thankful that she is just asking for the chest and not to have you fill
it with jewelery.

The wood is obviously spalted. And it looks fabulous. I can't wait to see
what it looks like when it is all finished.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Looks just like the spalted Pecan from which I recently constructed a
rocking chair.

I presume your parents live in Texas too? That would increase the odds
of my guess being correct.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

And the answer is.......

It is from a Live Oak tree. If you look at the lower sections of the
pictures you may recognize the typical Oak grain. These pieces came out
quarter sawn.

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

My wife wants a new jewelry chest and this may look good on the door
panels and drawer fronts.

Can you name the wood?

Be thankful that she is just asking for the chest and not to have you fill
it with jewelery.

LOL, you think she wants an empty chest?

The wood is obviously spalted. And it looks fabulous. I can't wait to
see what it looks like when it is all finished.

Definitely spalted.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

My wife wants a new jewelry chest and this may look good on the door
panels and drawer fronts.

Can you name the wood?

Be thankful that she is just asking for the chest and not to have you fill
it with jewelery.

LOL, you think she wants an empty chest?

NO woman wants an empty chest.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
And the answer is.......

It is from a Live Oak tree. If you look at the lower sections of the
pictures you may recognize the typical Oak grain. These pieces came out
quarter sawn.

So it is! Wow, I've never seen oak get all spalted like that before.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
t...
Leon wrote:
And the answer is.......

It is from a Live Oak tree. If you look at the lower sections of the
pictures you may recognize the typical Oak grain. These pieces came out
quarter sawn.

So it is! Wow, I've never seen oak get all spalted like that before.

Nor have I Steve, when I saw it I knew that I had better hang on to it.

Mystery Wood Steve S Woodturning 11 September 17th 06 07:47 PM
Mystery Wood Bob Moos Woodworking 6 July 11th 06 01:44 AM
mystery wood, think it is oak arw01 Woodworking 7 January 20th 06 07:58 PM
Mystery blue-grey wood Ted Moens Woodworking 10 September 24th 05 06:08 AM
Mystery Dumpster Wood Jason Quick Woodworking 1 April 20th 05 09:02 PM