Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Hopping Kangaroo

Hi Mekon, I also tried your email but could not get through. I think
something might be missing? Anyway, I would appreciate a copy of your plan
and any hints. This would make a great Christmas gift for the grandkids.
Thanks.

Jack

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Hopping Kangaroo plans and tips

A couple of pointers to start with. The wood you choose can be anything
but I suspect that it will work best with a heavy hardwood.

For your first one I'd suggest making the tail an inch or so longer,
then if it is tail heavy you can trim it down.

You will need a couple of identical nails with the heads cut off.

Drill the hole in the body all the way through and make it slightly
larger than the nail you will use. The legs pivot here and so must be a
free fit.
The holes in the legs should be slightly smaller so that they will
grip. These don't need to go all the way through.

When it assembled make sure the bottom nail moves freely but is stopped
at either end by the two bumps on the roo's belly.

Also when the rear legs are extended fully forward the front legs
should protrude past the feet.

Experiment with the angle of the slope - it won't work if that isn't
right.

With this one the timber was a bit light, the roo just did a nose dive
and stayed there. I figured that this was due to it being a bit nose
heavy so I put a couple of five cent coins on the tail to weigh it
down. Once that was done it worked well.

Mekon