DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Round rostrum (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/211772-round-rostrum.html)

Mekon August 21st 07 08:07 AM

Round rostrum

For our next play I had to build this round rostrum.It will, when the
set decorator finishes with it look like a round pouffe or ottoman.
The shot underneath is to show the studs in the construction. To those
who look at that bit and think 'over engineered' I say only that the
lead female in this play has to dance atop of this thing and she is not
known for her svelte waif like figure.

When it gets dressed and the set is fully painted I'll post more pics.

Mekon

Rusty[_3_] August 21st 07 05:08 PM

Round rostrum

If someone is jumping on top of it I would recommend resting the beams on
edge on the posts. Looks like just a couple of lag bolts taking that weight.
. ..

mac davis August 21st 07 06:15 PM

Round rostrum

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:07:54 GMT, Mekon wrote:

For our next play I had to build this round rostrum.It will, when the
set decorator finishes with it look like a round pouffe or ottoman.
The shot underneath is to show the studs in the construction. To those
who look at that bit and think 'over engineered' I say only that the
lead female in this play has to dance atop of this thing and she is not
known for her svelte waif like figure.

When it gets dressed and the set is fully painted I'll post more pics.

Mekon

So, is the show over when she sings??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Mekon August 21st 07 10:44 PM

Round rostrum

Rusty wrote on Wednesday :
If someone is jumping on top of it I would recommend resting the beams on
edge on the posts. Looks like just a couple of lag bolts taking that weight.
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..

The posts are placed hard up against the ply and are bolted and screwed
into position. The studs underneath (some of which the posts are fixed
to) are placed on edge screwed into place every 100mm or so.
Myself (no light weight either) and our exchange student tested it by
jumping onthe top at the same time. It didn't move a mm.

I'll look at diagonal bracing after I finish the step. Thanks for the
suggestion.

Mekon

Joe Barta August 21st 07 10:57 PM

Round rostrum

Mekon wrote:

To those who look at that bit and think 'over
engineered' I say only that the lead female in this play has to
dance atop of this thing and she is not known for her svelte waif
like figure.

I think it's UNDER engineered. I see a wicked little racking
problem... especially in the "long" dimension... parallel to the lower
stretchers. I would seriously consider a few angle braces in there.
Might even throw a couple the other way too... unless those carriage
bolt joints are glued, they might rack a bit too.

Holding static weight against gravity is an easy thing... but holding
a person, especially a fluffy one, dancing around on top of it is
going to introduce all sorts of other stresses.

Another thing that I notice.... if the lady happens to step too far to
the long edges, the thing may tend to flip on her. I would add legs to
those edges... maybe like you added to the other two edges.

Other than that.... looks nice... fine job.... blah blah blah ;-)

Joe Barta

Mekon August 21st 07 11:29 PM

Round rostrum

Joe Barta submitted this idea :
Mekon wrote:

[...]

I'll look at all that thanks. I did have a slight tipping problem in
the first attempt so I added an extra two legs. The six legs are very
close to the edges and I have walked all around the edge without it
tipping and jumped just inside the edge. I'll add a couple of diagnals
to the main four legs going all the way around and then a couple on the
stretchers underneath.

Mekon

tiredofspam August 23rd 07 01:15 AM

Round rostrum

Why on earth did you put some of the 2x4 upended and some flat.
They all belong on end...

Mekon August 23rd 07 03:02 AM

Round rostrum

tiredofspam wrote on 23/08/2007 :
Why on earth did you put some of the 2x4 upended and some flat.
They all belong on end...

Do you mean these?

If so, then I wanted to put two screws in each of the 5 joists. having
them flat made that simpler and stronger. The other two 'below' (when
it is placed as it will be used) are not 35x90s but some 50x25mm batten
offcuts, just as braces so that the four main legs would not spread.

At any rate I delivered it last night placed it on the stage and 2 of
us jumped on it and it withstood that 150kg onslaught easily.

Mekon

tiredofspam August 25th 07 02:35 AM

Round rostrum

Yes those.

Just makes sense to put it on end.
I am sure it is strong, but could it be better? Yes.