DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More Skewing Around (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/211175-more-skewing-around.html)

charlieb August 17th 07 08:10 AM

More Skewing Around

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, these were too small to turn with a half inch skew, even
with a curved edge, so I used a quarter inch bench chisel sort of
like a single bevel skew - actually more like a bedan.

Have Kate to thank for suggesting cribbage pegs - the
bottom of these things are 1/8" diameter - cribbage board
hole size.

Need to shoot these with actual daylight instead of just
a 60 watt bulb.

I think I've now turned all the way through The Zone . . .
but maybe I can . . .

Turning is addictive and now there's no such thing as
SCRAPS. That's good right?

charlie b
(toothpicks - I wonder what I can turn out of a toothpick)

ocar August 17th 07 04:35 PM

More Skewing Around

a smaller toothpick

oscar

charlieb wrote in news:46C549DF.3C48
@accesscom.com:

Actually, these were too small to turn with a half inch skew, even
with a curved edge, so I used a quarter inch bench chisel sort of
like a single bevel skew - actually more like a bedan.

Have Kate to thank for suggesting cribbage pegs - the
bottom of these things are 1/8" diameter - cribbage board
hole size.

Need to shoot these with actual daylight instead of just
a 60 watt bulb.

I think I've now turned all the way through The Zone . . .
but maybe I can . . .

Turning is addictive and now there's no such thing as
SCRAPS. That's good right?

charlie b
(toothpicks - I wonder what I can turn out of a toothpick)

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
--------------51CA54BA6F03
------------ad51B068CA5240

Attachment decoded: application-applefile-4
------------ad51B068CA5240

Attachment decoded: GottaStop.jpg
------------ad51B068CA5240--

charlieb August 17th 07 10:53 PM

More Skewing Around (smaller size, better pic)

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the size and quality of the earlier picture.
Better results with actual daylight. The one second
from YOUR right had a longer tip - with a little ball on
the end - but the tip broke off while applying an on
the lathe shellac finish. Apparently Santos Mahogany
doesn't do well with torque when it's less than 1/16th
of an inch in diameter. (for the metric viewer, the
coin on the left is a bit under 18mm in diameter)

Now I need to try some of these in maple and maybe
in black walnut - or rosewood. Maybe ebony? Tagua
- I could try making one out of tagua nut!

Got to stop making these things. Have passed right
through THE ZONE and am coming up on BORING.

charlie b

charlieb August 17th 07 10:59 PM

More Skewing Around

Bigpole wrote:

SWMBO wants to know if these started out bigger?

In fact, they're actually MUCH BIGGER - normally.
But you know about cold and "shrinkage" ; ). (see
earlier post Just Skewing Around (with Santos
Mahogany)

charlie b

Kate August 18th 07 02:40 PM

More Skewing Around

Charlie They're gorgeous!
I'm so jealous... so SO jealous!
I turned a set out of cocoa bola, put the squares into the handset of my
Dremel and used an altered Xacto knife.
I thought they looked pretty good, considering the rudimentary technique...
but now I must bow to the master.

.... sooooooo.... ya gonna send me a set?

*giggle*

Kate