DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fun & Games with Sapwood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/207496-fun-games-sapwood.html)

charlieb July 1st 07 07:00 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in the home stretch of The Insane Garbage Surround Project
- the boards for the last "module". I'm using mainly quarter sawn
"con heart" redwood - from THE BORG - with some of the boards
also have sapwood. Now why there's sapwood in "heart" boards
would be a mystery - but hey - it's THE BORG.

Anyway, I've got five boards, two with sapwood. A couple of them
have only one "good face" so that simplifies things just a little.
But there's still quite a few flip / rearrange options. Here are
four symetric possibilities. Now these boards will be in a module
to the right of the gate/door shown here (which will also give
you an indication of why this is The Insane Garbage Surround Project
- about 100 mortises per "module")

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/G...Surround4.html

Here are the four finalists I've got for the last module. Got a
preference, and if so, why?

charlie b

song I heard on Click & Clack this morning

I just got flipped off
by a silver haired old lady
with a Honk If You Love Jesus
on the bumper
of her car

Patriarch July 1st 07 07:24 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

charlieb wrote in
:

#3, then #2. And don't ask an economist for a justification on an art
project, OK? It just is!

Nice work, friend.

Patriarch

Chuck Taylor July 1st 07 07:56 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 11:00:41 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

I'm in the home stretch of The Insane Garbage Surround Project
- the boards for the last "module". I'm using mainly quarter sawn
"con heart" redwood - from THE BORG - with some of the boards
also have sapwood. Now why there's sapwood in "heart" boards
would be a mystery - but hey - it's THE BORG.

Would the word "con" in the name have anything to do with it?

#2. Why? Just my subjective opinion. Having the sapwood near the
outside doesn't thrill me.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

Doug Winterburn July 1st 07 08:41 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

#2 - Just looks the most pleasingto me.

- Doug

A Lurker July 2nd 07 03:32 AM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

charlieb wrote in
:

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/G...Surround4.html

Just to be contrary: 3 and then 1

Jerry

NoOne N Particular July 2nd 07 05:43 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

charlieb wrote:
[...]

I am terrible at trying to "see" what things would look like, but is it too late
to take the rightmost board from the left unit and put one of the sapwood boards
there? Then take the other sapwood board and use it for the leftmost board in
the right unit. That way you would sorta frame the gate.

Wayne

Leon July 2nd 07 09:08 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

Use all the ones with sap wood in any order Charley! The Sap wood is not
going to show after you pain the boards!!!

;~) On a second note, if you plan on leaving them natural they will fad to
a gray color in a year or so.

young_carpenter July 4th 07 04:54 PM

Fun & Games with Sapwood

4 is out it just looks wrong.
not too keen on 3 it is similar to 4
2 is best because the widest part to the sapwood shows on the bottom
1 is ok because it is similar to 2.