DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More timber - start of top (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/207472-more-timber-start-top.html)

Mike Richardson June 19th 07 10:35 PM

More timber - start of top

2 Attachment(s)

Just started prepping the wood for top of the bench, I envisage making three
strips of laminated 3x2's (dressed down) using some all thread to clamp very
tightly while gluing up, then clean up glue lines and pass lightly thri
planer. Then pull 3 strips together to make full bench width with allthread
concealed later by cover strip, leaving me with as close to level as
possible and minimise hand planing.

Wonder what dominant opinion here is regards leaving top as natural (albeit
oiled/waxed) vs a cover of some hardboard or similar?

Mike

Mark & Juanita June 20th 07 04:32 AM

More timber - start of top

Mike Richardson wrote:

.... snip
Wonder what dominant opinion here is regards leaving top as natural
(albeit oiled/waxed) vs a cover of some hardboard or similar?

Mike

Nothing at all wrong with leaving the wood exposed.

Marty K June 21st 07 09:07 PM

More timber - start of top

Mike Richardson wrote:
Just started prepping the wood for top of the bench, I envisage making three
strips of laminated 3x2's (dressed down) using some all thread to clamp very
tightly while gluing up, then clean up glue lines and pass lightly thri
planer. Then pull 3 strips together to make full bench width with allthread
concealed later by cover strip, leaving me with as close to level as
possible and minimise hand planing.

Wonder what dominant opinion here is regards leaving top as natural (albeit
oiled/waxed) vs a cover of some hardboard or similar?

Mike

Wow... Be sure you have someone like Arnold S. :-) to help you lift
this top when it is finished. I built a bench top (36 x 60) using 2 x4
southern yellow pine (dressed down to 1 1/2 by 3) and glue laminated (on
end). Took some clever maneuvering with me and the spouse to move it
around for clamp up and smoothing... but it made one stable bench!
I did finish it with poly to keep glue and stuff from getting into
the wood but could also use hardboard on the top for easy replacement.

Also used a smoothing plane to flatten the top.

Fun project and was very happy with the results.
Have fun