Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Dryfit cradle - 1 attachment

A while back I posted to rec.woodworking, singing the praises of the
Steel City drill press because it was so much fun to drill the holes for
all those dowels, especially the headboards with those six slightly
different angles per side plus one in the middle, per headboard. And all
those straight ones. 18 dowels on each siderail, 13 on each headboard,
62 dowels, 124 3/8 inch holes, 52 of them at a slight angle.

This is my second one in less than a year. I promised one to my niece
and barely made it in time, and was promptly blindsided by my daughter's
announcement. I'm never going to make another one of these things. My
wife says I shouldn't say never, but it's going to be a long time.

But the last one was with a benchtop Harbor Fright and this one was with
a Steel City. The difference has been amazing. I had less time than the
first one, sick family members, a funeral, and a house to empty and get
ready for sale. And it looks like I'm going to make it with about a week
to spare. :-)

That new drill press took just about all the frustration out of it.
Well... out of drilling the holes, anyway. I know any decent dp would
have made it better, but I really used that six inch quill travel, the
quick-release depth stop, and even the quill lock. When I drilled the
screw holes in the crosspieces for the stand, it was hard to get the
boards straight up AND under the drill bit until I brought the bit down
almost to the board, locked it, and then maneuvered the board till it
was right under the bit and still straight.

I'm happy with it. In a day or so I'll have some finished pics if you
want to see 'em but here's what happened to all those dowels and all
those holes.

Attached Thumbnails
Dryfit cradle - 1 attachment-dryfit_cradle-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dan wrote:

| I'm happy with it. In a day or so I'll have some finished pics if
| you want to see 'em but here's what happened to all those dowels
| and all those holes.

Wow! And yes, I'd like to see the finished pix!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dan" is singing the praises of the Steel City drill press...

Be careful there Dan. You may end up with numerous requests for that
cradle! It will look great when finished. It looks good now!

Doesn't some nice equipment make things so much nicer?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Great job, Dan! If I tried that, my spindles would end up looking more
like a bamboo forest, with shoots sprouting out in a hungred different
directions. :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Dryfit cradle - Finished - 2 attachments

I wish I had a better backdrop but it's sitting on the back porch while it
offgasses. It'll be ready to deliver this coming weekend.

I used General Finishes. One coat of Seal-A-Cell Clear, then three of Arm-
R-Seal topcoat Satin. I just keep using it because I'm too busy learning
everything else right now to learn more finishes. And because everybody
raves about the finish. Sand it down to 220 or 240, 0000 steelwool between
coats and the feel of it is awesome.

One shot of the whole cradle and one of the grain in the sideboard. I had
some trouble with it, but man. Cherry is sooo sweet.

Okay, maybe I'll think about making more of these things someday but I sure
hope the family holds off on the babies for a while.

Attached Thumbnails
Dryfit cradle - 1 attachment-cradle_closeup_hdbrd-jpg  Dryfit cradle - 1 attachment-finished_cradle_fullshot-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Mon 18 Jun 2007 08:31:44a, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote in news:137d29ree99mq99
@corp.supernews.com:

Great job, Dan! If I tried that, my spindles would end up looking more
like a bamboo forest, with shoots sprouting out in a hungred different
directions. :-)

Thanks Charles. Actually those 3/8 spokes are pretty forgiving. My first
attempt DID look like that. Jackstraws pointing almost every which way
before the top pieces went on. Took forever to glue them up but when it was
done they looked straight.

The pieces done with the Steel City were a lot straighter. Not perfect but
not nearly as cockeyed. :-) SWMBO remarked on that and I wish I'd thought
to take pictures of the two.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

I wish I had a better backdrop but it's sitting on the back porch while it
offgasses. It'll be ready to deliver this coming weekend.

One shot of the whole cradle and one of the grain in the sideboard. I had
some trouble with it, but man. Cherry is sooo sweet.

Very nice. You really should set it up to take some good photos for
posterity. You want to be able to brag about it years from now.
Ed

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

I wish I had a better backdrop but it's sitting on the back porch while
it
offgasses. It'll be ready to deliver this coming weekend.

One shot of the whole cradle and one of the grain in the sideboard. I had
some trouble with it, but man. Cherry is sooo sweet.

Very nice. You really should set it up to take some good photos for
posterity. You want to be able to brag about it years from now.
Ed

And who is Posterity ? great looking cradle whether likes it or not.....mjh

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

I hope you included the 20 some odd warning labels that are federally
required. LOLOL
Very nice you should be proud

Cradle D Jordahl Woodworking 1 December 28th 05 05:39 PM
PENDULUM CRADLE J T Woodworking 12 November 3rd 05 09:55 AM
Cradle walks. Why? [email protected] Woodworking 13 March 2nd 05 02:39 PM
Cradle finish Al in WA soon MT Woodworking 6 January 6th 05 07:25 PM
Logan taper attachment attachment John Hall Metalworking 6 November 2nd 03 07:42 PM