Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default DOMINOed Garbage Can Enclosure - Crazy?

I could've just used a common fence construction method to make
an enclosure for the garbage can and recycling bins - but that would
be boring and no fun at all. Since the DOMINO makes it quick and easy
to cut mortises very accurately, with the option of cutting them with
6mm or 10mm of slop - to allow for expansion and contraction.

Attached is the easy fence construction method and the one I'm going
with. The second attachment is an exploded view of the "plan" using
loose tenon mortise and tenon joinery - LOTS of them. Would never
have even considered this route until getting the DOMINO. Just laying
out the mortises would take a couple of hours and cutting them in the
ends of 6 foot tall "fence boards" would've required working on a
ladder.

With the DOMINO, the only layout lines required are the top and bottom
centerline of each fence board - very quick and easy to do with one
set up of the Tite-Mark marking gauge.

The most time consuming part of this project was shuffling and flipping
and turning candidate con heart straight grain redwood to get their
grain to work together to create a coherent field between the posts
and the upper and lower rails.

When loose tenon mortise and tenon joinery is so easy to do there's
no hesitation to use them when warranted - or just for the hell of it.

charlie b
the guy who just can't do ANY project and keep it simple.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ConventionalLooseTenon.gif (30.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: gif explodedISOview.gif (50.3 KB, 48 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

In a word: Yes.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The difference between the blues and
the blahs is that you can't sing the
blahs. --George Carlin

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks for the illustrations and the clarification.
I wonder however how much gap will form at the top as the length shrinks
slightly. Perhaps the tops of the pickets should also fit into a shallow
dado on the bottom of the top rail.

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

| I could've just used a common fence construction method to make
| an enclosure for the garbage can and recycling bins -

Interesting fence! The redwood filler is positively inspired!

I think you're almost ready to embrace the awesome world of CNC
woodworking where no layout lines at all are needed...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 6/10/07 4:07 PM, "charlieb" wrote:

I could've just used a common fence construction method to make
an enclosure for the garbage can and recycling bins - but that would
be boring and no fun at all. Since the DOMINO makes it quick and easy
to cut mortises very accurately, with the option of cutting them with
6mm or 10mm of slop - to allow for expansion and contraction.

Charlie, You should get a commission. I am sure that you have helped sell
more than a few units. You certainly have me wishing for one - and Christmas
is a long time to wait.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robert Haar wrote in
:

On 6/10/07 4:07 PM, "charlieb" wrote:

I could've just used a common fence construction method to make
an enclosure for the garbage can and recycling bins - but that would
be boring and no fun at all. Since the DOMINO makes it quick and
easy to cut mortises very accurately, with the option of cutting them
with 6mm or 10mm of slop - to allow for expansion and contraction.

Charlie, You should get a commission. I am sure that you have helped
sell more than a few units. You certainly have me wishing for one -
and Christmas is a long time to wait.

I'm almost convinced. What and where are the best deals now?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
Robert Haar wrote in
:

I'm almost convinced. What and where are the best deals now?

There are no better deals than at your local distributor. Everyone must
sell at Festool's suggested price. Up until the end of last month there
were some introductory savings on the Domino and an assortment of Domino's,
bits, and systainer. Now those items bought together will be an additional
$80.

However, if you also buy a Festool vacuum with the Domino you get a decent
break in price.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 01:12:09 GMT, Han wrote:

Robert Haar wrote in
:

On 6/10/07 4:07 PM, "charlieb" wrote:

I could've just used a common fence construction method to make
an enclosure for the garbage can and recycling bins - but that would
be boring and no fun at all. Since the DOMINO makes it quick and
easy to cut mortises very accurately, with the option of cutting them
with 6mm or 10mm of slop - to allow for expansion and contraction.

Charlie, You should get a commission. I am sure that you have helped
sell more than a few units. You certainly have me wishing for one -
and Christmas is a long time to wait.

I'm almost convinced. What and where are the best deals now?

Deals are done. Price is fixed. Support your local merchants. Godwin
Tool in Midland Park. Good guys. Satisfied customer.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

ROY! wrote in news:sq6q6395vak5je6k5o2t7u3ejpkcv53kll@
4ax.com:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 01:12:09 GMT, Han wrote:

Robert Haar wrote in
:

On 6/10/07 4:07 PM, "charlieb" wrote:

I could've just used a common fence construction method to make
an enclosure for the garbage can and recycling bins - but that would
be boring and no fun at all. Since the DOMINO makes it quick and
easy to cut mortises very accurately, with the option of cutting them
with 6mm or 10mm of slop - to allow for expansion and contraction.

Charlie, You should get a commission. I am sure that you have helped
sell more than a few units. You certainly have me wishing for one -
and Christmas is a long time to wait.

I'm almost convinced. What and where are the best deals now?

Deals are done. Price is fixed. Support your local merchants. Godwin
Tool in Midland Park. Good guys. Satisfied customer.

Thanks, Roy and Leon.

As usual, I'm too slow to take advantage of good deals. But Midland Park
is indeed close to Fair Lawn, so I may visit Godwin Tool.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think maybe you over-dominoed the design a bit. I don't think you need
that many to make it hold together. It may be a lot of fun to put them in,
but they do cost money.

Charley

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Charley wrote:

I think maybe you over-dominoed the design a bit. I don't think you need
that many to make it hold together. It may be a lot of fun to put them in,
but they do cost money.

If you noticed, most of them are the 5mm tenons which are about 3
cents
each. So 300 of them comes to under $10. When you consider that the
redwood 4x4s, 2x4s and "1x6"s came to a bit over $200, that $10 is
nothing. And the time it takes to cut all the mortises is nothing
either.
I've spent far more time sanding than I have cutting the mortises.

By using three tenons on each end of each "fence board", the center
being tight and the outer ones in mortises with some slop in both
directions, they can expand in both directions while remaining
centered.

The DOMINO makes it really quick and easy to take a simple project
and turn it into a joinery poster project.

charlie b
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message

The DOMINO makes it really quick and easy to take a simple project
and turn it into a joinery poster project.

For those of you who have been wondering what all this Domino hype is about,
here's the link to the video. I have to admit, it appears to be a very
impressive machine. More that being very capable, it also looks like it's
fun to use.

http://www.festoolusa.com/pages.aspx?docid=553

Shower enclosure JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com Home Repair 3 December 29th 06 01:25 AM
shower enclosure stinks! [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 24th 06 04:31 AM
shower enclosure John G UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 01:23 PM
Enclosure for my Projector [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 15th 05 04:22 PM
Shower enclosure Stinkoman UK diy 1 April 17th 05 05:35 PM