DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop scenary (half-size planes) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/207393-shop-scenary-half-size-planes.html)

Morris Dovey May 11th 07 12:46 AM

Shop scenary (half-size planes)

2 Attachment(s)
Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd share a
couple of photos...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Edwin Pawlowski May 11th 07 02:06 AM

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd share a
couple of photos...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Sharp. Is it a half sized replica? I always wanted to fly the P-51.

Morris Dovey May 11th 07 02:40 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd
|| share a couple of photos...
|
| Sharp. Is it a half sized replica? I always wanted to fly the
| P-51.

This one's supposed to be 51% of the real size - and is billed as the
P-51-51. This is the second of these to come by this year. Both had 60
hp two-cycle engines, so the performance falls a tad short of 51%. I
think cruise speed is somewhere around 70 - and aerobatics would _not_
be a good idea. Mustang fans might have noticed that the prop is also
a bit smaller than 51%

I used to think it'd be a hoot to own and fly the real thing. I can't
remember the fuel consumption rate for the P-51 but it'd be an
expensive plane to fly. Too spendy for me.

I pulled the seat foreward and checked out the construction . It looks
just like one of the old Comet balsa stick models - lightweight
bulkheads with skinny stringers supporting a fabric skin.

The local ANG unit has a full-size P-51 fiberglass replica on a
pedestal at their main gate, and I drool at it every time I go to the
Des Moines airport.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Mark & Juanita May 11th 07 04:11 AM

Shop scenary (half-size planes)

On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:46:56 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd share a
couple of photos...

That is very cool. The P-51 is one of the all-time cool plane designs.

B A R R Y May 11th 07 12:07 PM

Morris Dovey wrote:
Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd share a
couple of photos...

Cool!

Is that one of those Mini-Mustang kit homebuilts?

My Beech tie-down spot is bracketed by a bunch of homebuilders, mostly
RV-6's and 8's. I could get bit by that bug, so I have to be very
careful! G

Great looking ship!

Morris Dovey May 11th 07 01:07 PM

B A R R Y wrote:
| Morris Dovey wrote:
|| Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd
|| share a couple of photos...
|
| Cool!
|
| Is that one of those Mini-Mustang kit homebuilts?

'Tis.

| My Beech tie-down spot is bracketed by a bunch of homebuilders,
| mostly RV-6's and 8's. I could get bit by that bug, so I have to
| be very careful! G

I think for a lot of builders, the joy is in the journey - not so much
in flying the finished plane. There's a gentleman (he maintains F-16
fighters in his day job) who drops by from time to time in a
scaled-down Newport that he spent twelve years building - the plane is
/almost/ too beautiful to fly.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

B A R R Y May 11th 07 03:06 PM

Morris Dovey wrote:

I think for a lot of builders, the joy is in the journey - not so much
in flying the finished plane.

I totally understand.

As an ex-large scale r/c'er, current pilot, and avid woodwoorker and
tinkerer... G