DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A baby barn, Chapter III (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/207374-baby-barn-chapter-iii.html)

C & S May 3rd 07 02:22 AM

A baby barn, Chapter III

4 Attachment(s)
I recently finished milling the crossbeams. This was a good time to check my
work and see if things were going to come together squarely. I really need
to find out before the barn raising if I am going to have to rework the
parts.

It went generally well. Two of the four bents went together with essentially
no trimming to become square, and only one required a modest shim to a
brace. I got the first three together by beating on them with the big
mallet. The last bent just wanted to spring back each time I beat on it. so
I assembled a 15' pipe clamp (3 5-footers with coupplers).. why didn't I
think of that sooner? It worked like a charm.

My test fitting of my first pegs quickly illustrated that a normal peg does
not drive in reverse well, even when pounded from the opposite side of a
through hole. I came up with the attached "pryable peg" design fabricated
from some leftover white oak spindle stock. I supplemented the pryable pegs
with my 5/8" diameter wrought iron holdfasts.

-Steve