DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Name that joint! (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/207293-name-joint.html)

Morris Dovey March 25th 07 02:30 AM

Name that joint!

1 Attachment(s)
Similar to mortise and tenon - except that I think of a mortise as a
(doubly) stopped dado, and this isn't stopped at either end.

Do A and B have different names, or do they share the same name?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Kevin Miller March 25th 07 04:19 AM

Name that joint!

Morris Dovey wrote:
Similar to mortise and tenon - except that I think of a mortise as a
(doubly) stopped dado, and this isn't stopped at either end.

Do A and B have different names, or do they share the same name?

Dado joint and rabbit joint? That's what I'd call 'em...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Swingman March 25th 07 01:49 PM

Name that joint!

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Similar to mortise and tenon - except that I think of a mortise as a
(doubly) stopped dado, and this isn't stopped at either end.

Do A and B have different names, or do they share the same name?

B is called a "barefaced housing joint".

Citation: "Good Wood Joints";Jackson and Day; Harper Collins 1995

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Leon March 25th 07 03:10 PM

Name that joint!

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Morris Dovey wrote:
Similar to mortise and tenon - except that I think of a mortise as a
(doubly) stopped dado, and this isn't stopped at either end.

Do A and B have different names, or do they share the same name?

Dado joint and rabbit joint? That's what I'd call 'em...

A rabbit is similar to B but a rabbit joint is a joint cut into 1 side of
the joint, not both.

Peter Bogiatzidis March 25th 07 04:20 PM

Name that joint!

Morris,

My newbie guess is that 'A' is a tongue and groove joint and that 'B' is a
lock miter joint.

Peter

Doug Miller March 25th 07 06:52 PM

Name that joint!

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Similar to mortise and tenon - except that I think of a mortise as a
(doubly) stopped dado, and this isn't stopped at either end.

Do A and B have different names, or do they share the same name?

A is a dado, B is a locking rabbet.

--
Regards,

No Name March 25th 07 11:13 PM

Name that joint!

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Similar to mortise and tenon - except that I think of a mortise as a
(doubly) stopped dado, and this isn't stopped at either end.

Do A and B have different names, or do they share the same name?

A is a dado, B is a locking rabbet.

They are both tongue & groove .. .. just with different offsets.

Morris Dovey March 26th 07 07:29 AM

Name that joint - Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded. I've been building boxes using these
joints and hadn't a clue what they were called.

Double thanks to Swingman for the book ref - I'll see if the book is
available through my local library. Time for me to acquire a better
woodworking vocabulary...

Charlie M. 1958 March 26th 07 01:24 PM

Name that joint - Thanks!

Morris Dovey wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. I've been building boxes using these
joints and hadn't a clue what they were called.

Double thanks to Swingman for the book ref - I'll see if the book is
available through my local library. Time for me to acquire a better
woodworking vocabulary...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

This thread reminds of my old high school and college days when I worked
part-time in the hardware department at Sears. So many tools go by
multiple names that even after six years I was still learning new ones.
Typically, some guy would come in asking for a "doohickey". I'd give him
a puzzled look, and he go wander around till he found what he wanted,
then come back and say "Now this here is a doohickey." It would
invariably be some common tool that I knew by three or four other names.